Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: JC Higgins Model 5

JC Higgins Model 5

Was there a JC Higgins Model 5 12 ga ever made? I can't find any info on it, and starting to wonder if it's marked wrong. I need an extractor to get it shooting, but what to search for is killing me! Searches under JC Higgins or Savage hasn't yielded anything.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master
    What type of action is it? I am not familiar with that particular model number, usually Sears stuff has a model number that reads like the national debt.

Have you tried looking at the store brand cross reference list at GPC? http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Brand-Cross-Reference.htm

Robert

Boolit Master

Here is another web page that has a lot of manuals and information.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

wcp

JC Higgins Model 5

Thank you both, I have decided it must be a JC Higgins 583 from looking at the schematics on Numrich's site. Thanks again!
    Last edited by 1989toddm; 12-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of the High Standard pump shotguns were pretty good. I remember Dad had one 16 gauge that worked pretty good. I don't remember the Model number though.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have a JC Higgins model 20 pump 12ga that is built like a tank and works perfectly. I think it was made by Hi Standard. Has nice walnut stock and a ribbed barrel, the only ugly thing about it is the chock that's installed. I got it from a pawn shop that kept marking it down until I could not stand it any longer, I gave $79.00 plus tax. Best shotgun deal I ever made.

wcp

I paid $70 for this one..which is almost useless until I find an extractor..or make one. Is there someone here that may duplicate the one I have?

Boolit Master

Toddm
    i can clearly see the 5 in the picture, if it is not a model 5 or the complete model didn't get stamped it makes it hard to locate parts. Well I looked on the web page I posted earlier and your gun looks like a model 10. Look at this link, it shows a parts breakdown.
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_10.pdf

wcp

Boolit Master

I just looked at numrich and it looks like the model 583.10 and 10 are the same. The extractors have the same part numbers

wcp

Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    Toddm
    i can clearly see the 5 in the picture, if it is not a model 5 or the complete model didn't get stamped it makes it hard to locate parts. Well I looked on the web page I posted earlier and your gun looks like a model 10. Look at this link, it shows a parts breakdown.
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_10.pdf

wcp
    Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    I just looked at numrich and it looks like the model 583.10 and 10 are the same. The extractors have the same part numbers

wcp
    I see what you mean, thanks!