Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you make gas checks --- Check this out

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    You need to figure in the cost of shipping to be more accurate with what you save.
    Never calculate the cost of your hobby. If you do you'll go broke and find something else to do.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    There's a video on my website of one in action
    coilandfoil.com
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    How long does it take to make 1000 GC's?

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    You need to figure in the cost of shipping to be more accurate with what you save.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    How long does it take to make 1000 GC's?
    15-20 minutes, depends how fast you are.
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    PeeWee how do you advance the strip?
    manually, very easy just keep sliding it thur.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    15-20 minutes, depends how fast you are.
    vzerone, the store bought did figure in the shipping. It was an average of pricing from lowest to highest with shipping.

Don, about 15 min. To answer the quanity question, I have a scale and weigh them so I know what a 1000 weigh in all of the calibers I make. (Weight in grams.)
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Never calculate the cost of your hobby. If you do you'll go broke and find something else to do.
    Exactly right. If you're making gas checks to try to save money, you need a new hobby. My interest in making my own gas checks is self sufficiency and the ability to tailor to my specific application.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    "Am I saving any money by making these myself ?"

I was just talking with another member on the phone yesterday about this very same question. I have the BTSniper .357 swage set and make jhp using commercial jackets. It actually costs me almost as much to make them as it does to buy Zero brand .357 158grain JHP, not including my time and labor, electricity, wear & tear on the pot, dies, presses, etc.. So am I saving money ? No I'm not. But, it was just a year or two ago that it was almost impossible to buy commercial .357 158grain JHP anywhere. And with the current full on attack by the Dems on Guns; Obama's executive order, the House bill to make semi-automatic guns illegal if they have removeable magazines, etc., I think my investment in the capability to make my own stuff is a wise investment.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

The cost was $6.00 for 8 hundred feet, 4 rolls of 200 feet per roll. get over 4000 per roll. the cost per roll was 7.95 so cost is minimal, cost per roll is 9.45 so I guess 2.36 per 1000
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Exactly right. If you're making gas checks to try to save money, you need a new hobby. My interest in making my own gas checks is self sufficiency and the ability to tailor to my specific application.
    I am as is Duke in Florida doing this for self sufficiency and the ability to tailor to our specific needs and application.

I have no cost in equipment, as Duke in Florida had purchased all of the dies and arbor years ago. I make them for us as the physical part is to hard on him with his cancer. So am I saving money---- you bet, but I also enjoy my friendship with Duke and don't mind makeing his also. He has been a great teacher and mentor in all that I have learned in this hobby. When I started to reload I did not know squat, I met Duke at our range two years ago and have gone from knowing nothing--- to loading,casting and swaging in a very short time. He is an NRA reloading instructor and I took his class and got hooked and can't help myself. As I am retired this has become a great hobby for me.
    We shoot at least once a week together. He continually shares his knowledge with me and I am gratefull for that and honored to call him my friend.
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 01-22-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    PeeWee what kind of maintenance does this setup of yours need? -tj

TJ:
    The maintance is on the dies only. The arbor press is mainly maintance free. For the dies I take them apart, inspect and lightly lube. If I am making a large run of checks I do this thru the session. Generally I well run the hole roll of 200 feet. Takes a couple hours. This keeps us in checks for the year or so.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

That 'ole' Mentor' you have is a cherished book of knowledge…Don't let these 'penny pinchers' rattle your cage…do what you like to do and excel at at it, what your learning is to be self sufficient in a world gone wrong.
    My ole' mentor is getting 'long on the tooth' too…I built him shelves and re-organiged his shop for him, he tends to let things pile up except for the 1 sq. ft. area he is working in. I go by regularly and 'unscrew' his mess for him every month and chew the rag…Bob likes the company…I like Bob!
    Attachment 162406
    He's 84 and can just about quote any load recipe he has done in the last couple of years…GOD I'm gonna miss him…but…He ain't gone yet!
    I would imagine that your friend enjoys seeing you learn the 'old school' keep it up Pard!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

A very cool picture/set up you made there OS OK!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

OS OK, how right you are, believe it or not Orvilles reloading room looks much the same.
    regards
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12