Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you make gas checks --- Check this out

If you make gas checks --- Check this out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	154526
    Duke in Florida and I work together castin, lubing, sizing and making gas checks. We used to use flashing but. That got to be a problem finding the right thickness that we needed for all the calibers that we both shoot. Fast forward to the last 6 months. We have been ordering our material from Yonky. He has the proper thickness for our calibers and it comes on rolls so it has decreased our production time. No more cutting the strips. I made this system with the roller to hold the strip and I can knock out about 2000 an hour. He also has a new material called ddq and it is even easier to punch them out. He gives great service and shipping from England and US. You can find him on here and PM him he is prompt and will get right back to you. If you like high production and ease of use, give it a try
    PEE WEE

Sorry I can't delete the upside down image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151115_104734.jpg  
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 11-30-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I like the 'splash back' on your bench!!!!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance

I wanted to "pipe in" on this.

We used to buy 50 foot rolls from Yonky, because that's what was listed for sale on his web site.

He responded quickly to our inquiry for 200 foot rolls, and once we made a commitment to buy, he shipped even hours before our payment went through. TOP NOTCH service!

With the roll feeder system that Pee Wee devised, it accommodates the 200 foot rolls perfectly! Pee Wee is now a gas check punching expert!

BTW, kudos also to Charlie Darnell in California. The Free Chex system works great for us. We have been using mostly Free Chex III sets, but even invested in one of Charlie's new Free Chex IV die sets. That's well worth the price, although his offerings for the newest style is limited in size of gas checks that can be made. I get regular calls from Charlie (called me once while he was making coffee first thing in the morning, and also called me the other day from the beach while he was watching the cuties in bikinis. ), which is a testament to Charlie's follow up/customer service/dedication.
    Charlie's products can be seen and ordered here: http://www.freechex.net/ He ships world wide.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I have also got the 200 foot rolls and his material is great.

Boolit Master

I need to break down and order some material from him. I'm tired of cutting up Coke cans. I like the option but that setup is exactly what I would like.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Buddy
    Someone here posted a Kiwi had cleaned up an island of cans along the roadside. Posted were cans of folded over pop can metal gas checks for the little 22H. So at one point pop cans were used early on. Dirt seems to be the biggest issue now, and then of course oxide of aluminum was all the rage too, seems that's gone away. -tj

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered a couple coils from Yonky, as well as a roll of 5" X 50' Amerimax .014 Aluminum Flashing from Ace Hardware. The coil stock is WAAAAAY handier. It is a real pain to use a .665 Template to mark the Flashing, then align and shear a 5" piece. Then do it again, and again, and again. Then you discover that a strip is too wide, and have to trim it with scissors, or it is a hair narrow, and breaks instead of advancing.
    I am using the prototype Pat Marlin 480 Check maker.

The pre-cut coil stock is much handier, and saves a lot of time.

Bob R
    Last edited by Viper225; 01-07-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Yes, that is why we went to Yonkys material along with not being able to get the right thickness.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    It's evident from your set-up that you guys are right-handed.

yes, I am.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Just curious - how much $$$ do you save making them yourself? I have thought about it, but I don't use a lot of gas checks - that may change though.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    Just curious - how much $$$ do you save making them yourself? I have thought about it, but I don't use a lot of gas checks - that may change though.
    Between Duke in Florida and myself, we use about a 1000 per mo., the average cost is about $35.00 per 1000 to purchase them commercially. The material cost varies, we have different thickness for different calibers. (We shoot from 22 cal. Thur 50 bmg) We have a life time of the small gauge metal .010 to .015. (Flashing) The 17 gauge we have to buy. We purchase from Yonky. The cost versus yield is minimal. I have been using them for only the last two years, Duke has been making and using them forever. I took over making them due to his health. He was kind enough to loan me all the tools and dies to do this and I keep us in supply. I also make them for another freind that shoots with us and he kicks in for supplys. So to answer your question, The savings over a life time would be based on how much you shoot and the convenience to have them when you want them and make them in different gauges.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks...If I was using 1000 a month maybe I would consider it, but I am nowhere close to that.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453145447516.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	158533

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453145447516.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	158533

Fixed
    Ok Flyingmonkey35 your going to have to tell me how you did that, I tried and tried and just could not figure it out. I also could not delete it either.
    thanks
    Pee Wee
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

What kind of press is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    What kind of press is that?
    That's a arbor press.

Check Harbor freight.

Boolit Master
    PeeWee how do you advance the strip?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    PeeWee how do you advance the strip?
    Pull it w/ your hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Between Duke in Florida and myself, we use about a 1000 per mo., the average cost is about $35.00 per 1000 to purchase them commercially. The material cost varies, we have different thickness for different calibers. (We shoot from 22 cal. Thur 50 bmg) We have a life time of the small gauge metal .010 to .015. (Flashing) The 17 gauge we have to buy. We purchase from Yonky. The cost versus yield is minimal. I have been using them for only the last two years, Duke has been making and using them forever. I took over making them due to his health. He was kind enough to loan me all the tools and dies to do this and I keep us in supply. I also make them for another freind that shoots with us and he kicks in for supplys. So to answer your question, The savings over a life time would be based on how much you shoot and the convenience to have them when you want them and make them in different gauges.
    You need to figure in the cost of shipping to be more accurate with what you save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast