RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Bigfoot story?

Small feet story ?

I do not remember the Comic-Book, it featured "Whiteman being taken by Bigfoot, gets aroused by her female fragrance,it was a cute story,it might have been Zap or Last Gasp

Moderator Emeritus

"Female fragrance????" Well, they DO take a lot of literary liberties in comic books, don't they? Seriously, a long haired man-ape creature would likely have bad table manners, and the scent of rotting and putrid flesh and blood and gore would almost surely get in its fur, and make for a very bad "perfume." Much of the stories about them seem so reasonable, and this is one of the factors that make the stories believable. Not true, necessarily, but at least believable enough to seriously wonder about them. Nobody believed in gorillas until one was captured or killed. Photos won't do because even if provable scale indicated it was 8.5-9' tall, many would still claim it was a "man in a suit."

The eyes glowing could easily be valid if they have excellent night vision. Their eyes would likely be significantly larger than most other animals', and if the pupils open up extraordinarily large, it could make their eyes glow just in decent moonlight, as has been described. The smell makes sense. We know that extraordinarily large hominids DID exist once. Could they have gone nocturnal because people were afraid of them and sought to kill them all? Who knows? I don't.

And what of those old stories of trolls and giants? Were those totally made up? ALL of them???

Bigfoot is what it's long been - a mystery. And nobody knows the end to a mystery until they get to the very last of the book. We may not yet be at the end of this particular book. And we can't know where that end is or where it might lead us, or how shocking the end might be. That's just the nature of a real mystery. And so far at least, that's exactly what Bigfoot is - a mystery.

I heard this story in the 60's.
    The story[edit]

In 1924, Albert Ostman, a lumberjack and tough woodsman, went to the area for a vacation. Ostman had heard stories about the "man beasts" who supposedly roamed these woods but refused to believe them.[7] As Ostman lay asleep one evening a Sasquatch purportedly picked him up and carried him off while he was in his sleeping bag.[8] Ostman was carried in his sleeping bag across country for 3 hours by the Sasquatch.[9] The Sasquatch dropped Ostman down on a plateau. Standing around him was a family of 4 of the creatures.[10] Albert was kept captive by the Sasquatch.[11] The captors were 3 adults and a child which held Ostman captive for six days.[12] One of the Bigfoots was reported as being 8 feet tall.[13] Ostman did not use his gun on them as they had done him no harm.[14] He stayed with the Bigfoot family for a week.[15] Ostman ate "sweet tasting grass" that they gave him.[16] According to Ostman the female Sasquatch washed and stacked leaves.[17] Albert escaped by making the large male Sasquatch groggy by feeding him some snuff.[18] He did not tell his story for more than 24 years after it happened for fear of being thought of as crazy.[19][20] As more Sasquatch stories appeared in the press Albert decided to tell his story to a local newspaper in 1957.[21]
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

I've heard that one, but I've long been fascinated by things I can't understand, like sasquatch stories. Whatever is causing these stories, it's amazing, whatever it is. Like all mysteries, I think many of us wish we knew the answer to it all. We just don't, and any pretensions to the contrary are of our own making, and NOT "truth." About the only truth I'm aware of in it all, is that it's surely true that it's mysterious!

Lloyd Pye Explains Bigfoot (1/4)

If you take time to listen to the late Lloyd Pye, I suspect you won't (not speaking to you Dennis) have any more smartbutt answers to a legitimate question...those answers come out of simple ignorance.

Moderator Emeritus

Amen. We "moderns" like to pretend we know even more than we actually do. Are we afraid of "the unknown?" I don't know. But it surely seems to be consistent that we laugh at and are snide about what we truly do not understand. It's as though we try to consciously wish it away. Personally, I'd be very pleased if it was proven that they DO exist, but I doubt I could ever shoot one, so if that "evidence" is ever provided us, it won't likely be by me, even though I'm armed 100% of the time I'm in the woods or on the water. I just don't think anything THAT successful at staying hidden needs to be shot. I just don't.

Boolit Master
    Still waiting for my sighting. I have seen serious UFO's however and a black mountain lion in my front yard. My friends among the Makah Tribe take Sasquatch for granted.

Moderator Emeritus

Those big, black cats are another of those "figaments of the imagination" that have the awful habit of showing up once in a while. A near life-long friend of mine, and the best shot I've ever known, once had a run in with one, and very much personally! He thought it was the neighbors' dogs that had been turning over his trash cans to get the wonderful leftover food his great cook of a wife threw out, and he'd grown very tired of having to pick it all up just about every day. He'd gone somewhere with his wife, and on coming home, he saw in the headlights as he drove up, a big, black "dog" with his body half way into the trash can and other garbage strewn all about. His ire was instantly piqued, and he stopped just short of the driveway and approached, determined to make this one PAY! As he stealthily approached (he's a great woodsman and knows how to walk silently) he looked about for a big stick to hit it with. He didn't have a gun on him (one of the very few times you'd see him unarmed!), and all he could find was an old rotten limb that had fallen out of the tree. He picket it up, and approached the "dog." He noticed the tail seemed large for a dog's, but he was seeing blood, and just focused on revenge! He got up to it and kicked the can, and the "dog" withdrew, faced him, and it was a big, long-tailed black CAT! It squalled at him, scaring his face white! And all he knew to do (he'd been in quite a few tussels, but never with a big, long-tailed black cat!) was bring that old rotten pecan limb down on this snarling demon, and that's just what he did. That broke the shock for both of them, and the cat, probably very fortunately, ran off! It sped like a streaking shadow through several yards and into the pasture next to the homes. There were horses in the field, including I think it was 3 colts that had been born recently. The cat was headed for a big bay and creek on the other side of the pasture, and made a beeline straight for where he'd probably come in. One of the young colts was standing there in its way, and it jumped on it and in a second's anger, cut it up so badly it bled to death rather quickly, and then continued its way to the bay, creek and "freedom" from all the activity that had so unexpectedly messed up its simple meal! The story about the colt's killing made the paper the next day, but no mention was made of the big, long-tailed black cat that is supposed to be non-existant. But then, the local paper has never been worth much anyway, so I guess that makes sense .... for them.

Another time, quite a few years later, he and I and a few more rented a small tract of hunting land with a creek running through it and some power lines cutting across it - prime land for deer and our typical way of hunting then with our rifles. The state hapened to turn out a rather large lot of turkeys on this creek, and they took up on our lot and the adjoining private land, and we saw them often. They cost him a deer once, standing and looking up at him. He threw everything he had to throw at them, and STILL couldn't run off those pen raised turkeys! And their inquisitive behavior finally alerted the deer that was across the power lines, just inside the bushes, and it slinked back and disappeared into the woods and bushes on the other side. That ticked him off with them, but he was a turkey hunter from way back, and wanted them to propogate so he could hunt them. There was also a BIG fine if you got caught killing one as well!

Suddenly, they started disappearing, leaving only big patches of feathers behind, indicating the kill. We all tossed it off as coyotes. But then one day he went hunting after work, as he was so wont to do, and was sitting in his stand when a very large, black, long tailed cat just walked out nonchalantly and looked up and down the power lines, and then sat and started preening itself! He said at first, he couldn't believe his eyes, and just sat there in disbelief that he was seeing yet ANOTHER big, black, long-tailed cat! Then, it finally dawned on him that THIS was the culprit that had been killing and eating the turkeys we'd been finding! What would YOU have done in his place? Supposedly, there's a big fine for shooting one of these, and he'd gotten caught as a kid night hunting, and lost his gun, his little piece of car that he'd used in so many adventures (he'd been using creek water to fill the radiator because it didn't leak out quite so fast!), and he was VERY averse to going to court over shooting something he wasn't about to try to eat, BUT ... this thing had been killing his turkeys the state was trying to reinstate! He raised up his #1 Int'l in .243, and placed the crosshairs between the ears and just below the skull cap, and pulled the trigger! Cats often die with much fanfare, but this one dropped and quivered, and that was it! He then sat, making sure, before climbing down. Time was left to hunt, but with the shot, not enough to matter. He went over and was very satisfied with this kill ..... UNTIL he thought about that dang FINE for shooting something the state says doesn't exist! He went back to the truck, where he had a shovel that he often carried in the loadbed, and came back and buried that cat! It was all he could think of to do. I didn't see any of this, but a couple of days later, on the weekend, he showed me the cat's grave, and it was clear something was buried there, but neither of us was about to dig it up. And I know him FAR too well to think he'd have dug that big a hole just for a "huntin' story!"

I myself have only seen two long tailed cats in my lifetime here, and both were after dark. One was on a moonlit night, and I think that one was tawny. The other, and somewhat larger in my estimation, could well have been black, but it was too dark to say for sure. There is NOTHING in the woods that moves like these big black cats, as sparse as my experience has been with them. But quite a few folks have noted the irony that a state could have a fine for shooting something they say doesn't exist! THAT kind of irony just can't be missed!

Are they remnants of a one-time jaguar population here, or just a variation in the cougar, or "panther" as they tend to be called here? Who knows? This one's much easier to accept than the Bigfoot stories, but .... one never really knows. After all, in formal logic, one can never prove that something does NOT exist - only that we have no proof of it. So this question in both cases, for those who haven't actually seen one, will remain a matter for speculation, and human speculation about "things that go bump in the night" will ALWAYS be a matter of will and fear and just about everything BUT logic and reason. And so, the story continues ........

Never heard tell of a black one around here, that doesn't rule them out though...but I have seen plenty of the big cougar types, they are truly 'mountain lions', they are dang big! Never go out on the property at night without a shooter in my pocket, don't know how much that would help though if he caught me by the back of the neck...I'd be done for.

Moderator Emeritus

That's the thing that always sticks in the back of my mind somewhere. Nothing's more stealthy than a cat, and once you've seen one, and how fast and fluidly they move .... well, it's pretty intimidating! The fact that there's never been a known human kill by one, at least in the last 50 to maybe 100 years around here, is comforting, but then there's always that thought of the "unknown" or "unexplainable" kills that MIGHT have been by the big cats. I think one of the scariest places on earth is the swamps at night. So much stuff that's so silent and motionless unless and until you cross that imaginary line into their territory! Not much defense there, except staying still by a campfire, or proceeding with some sort of light, and that's VERY slow going, especially through the tangles. But it's so chock full of wonders, too, it's hard to resist it. Most who spend the night there do it on sand bars in tents. Now, with the big gator population coming back, tents aren't that great an assurance! They smell keenly, and those tiny reptilian brains don't realize they're supposed to stop at the gossamer material most of them are made from. I've ALWAYS slept with a pistol in my hand at the river! But once you get into that twilight zone between wakefulness and sleep, and you let the sound of the burbling waters rock you to sleep, it's a wonderful and extremely peaceful place to be. You just have to put all that other stuff out of your mind, and trust to God that you'll wake up whole and not in some beastie's digestive tract. And when you "survive" a night like that, it always leaves you with an unusually "clean" kind of feeling - the kind of thing that just makes you appreciate the sun and the sky and the daylight and just being alive, and in a wondrous place. I love those swamps, dangers and all. Have yet to find any fondness for the skeeters and red bugs, but all else is just plain awesome.

We had a human kill here about 3 miles from me, a jogger on the trails next to the American River about 14 years or so back. Last year a game camera caught 5 of the juvenile cats running together through a neighborhood at about 1:00 am, rural 20 acre parcels when I say neighborhood and here in the mountains at about 3,400' elevation. These cats are no joke. My neighbor saw one carrying a doe and running up the road ahead of her in broad morning light. No doubt that doe was placed up in a scrub oak in the woods nearby.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    Bigfoot is a myth, he is actually a size 10.

I look forward with containable patience to pictures of him doing a standing longjump backwards. The way things are in the Olympics it is probably an event by now.

Moderator Emeritus

Lots of humor and plenty of attitude in this subject, always. But why do all of us, no matter our views, seem so drawn to the subject? If it's not real, isn't it amazing how many pay so much attention to it? I wish I knew!

Maybe we're doing something similar to a cat playing with a ball of yarn???? Who knows? I don't!

And thanks for the story OS OK. You've NOW got me even MORE spooked next time I enter the swamps!!!

Better 'spooked' Dennis...better than potential 'pre-scat'!

Moderator Emeritus

Amen. There HAVE been mysterious disappearances in them ol' swamps. Nobody likes to talk about them, and there's no telling what really happened. Some are found to be drownings, and some can't be told whether it was a gator, drunkeness, or what that caused it. And some just never turn up. Who knows what all's out there? Maybe being scared of the dark as a kid was really functional once???? The thoughts of that kind sure do make a night in the swamp exciting!

Boolit Master

My Dad used to say about me; "Just think how tall he'd be if he hadn't turned so much out for feet!"
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Yeah Dennis...but take along plenty changes of drawers just in case!

Moderator Emeritus

In the swamp, there's always water to rinse 'em out in! Hard to get rid of the smell, though. Don't ask how I know!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast