MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! CZ75, P226 or 92FS

Boolit Master

Help! CZ75, P226 or 92FS

Gentlemen,

Looking to add a hammer fired pistol to my collection. My current 'full size' semi-auto pistols include M&P9,40,45, an SD40, and a Springfield 1911 milspec. Have been considering a Glock but right now am looking to add a hammer fired pistol with higher capacity than my 1911 in either 9mm (preferred) or 40 s&w. Looking to spend in the 5-600 range. Can get the 226 in 40 cal from CDNN used for 499 (excellent condition). I also met a guy at quarry other day that works for Sig here in Exeter who offerred to pick one up using his employee discount (.50 off msrp) but I would feel odd asking him to do this even though he offerred out of the blue.

Primarily would be a quarry gun as I am not short in the self defense realm. No good reason for this purchase except I just really want one which I suppose is a great reason considering the company I am posting in.

Thoughts/opinions as I angst over this choice? I have been trying to make this choice for a month or so and just not making any progress and I am down to my last layaway at Buds and will be anxious to add another to the queue.

As a side confusion I have also considered a P229 or SP-01 as a good range gun that I could also easily conceal under a jacket as I have much greater opportunities for this in NH than I did in FL....

Thanks guys for all thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 11-29-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

CZ75 over the others. It personally points more naturally for me than any other handgun. They are inherently accurate due to the design. Shoot one and you will be convinced.

Slight thread drift. What's w/ all the Mexican food restaurants in Exeter. There was four w/in walking distance of my hotel. Not what I expected for the area. I ended up going to bar in a basement in town anyway

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

Slight thread drift. What's w/ all the Mexican food restaurants in Exeter. There was four w/in walking distance of my hotel. Not what I expected for the area. I ended up going to bar in a basement in town anyway
    LOL i know of two in that general area and have visited one of them a couple times. As for the two basement bars on Water Street....well I may have visited them more than a couple times...

CZ is definitly getting a lot of my interest...everyone it seems loves the way they handle/feel.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

The hardest part about the CZ is choosing the variant you want. It took me 18 months to find one locally. It was a 75BD. I wasn't to keen on the decocker at first. Now I like the feature, even though I don't carry it. You can't go wrong w/ a SP-01 either.

Boolit Master

The 92 is a very good gun albeit a huge gun! The CZ a great choice but Sigs of most flavors have always floated my boat!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

CZ I got the 75-B retro.
    no complaints sept I shoulda bought 2 of them.

the 92 went down the road about as fast as anything I ever bought ,and I kept on trying to get it to shoot.
    I liked the gun itself it just flat out wouldn't shoot.
    I had it for 2 weeks and spent 12 of those days shooting and reloading and shooting and trying something new.
    my old tokarev shot better from minute one with milsurp ammo.

sig 226 the 92 is a huge handfull. Can's speak on the cz much, but I own a sig 226 and it has to be one of the easiest to use full size handguns I have. I used it to qualify for our MS enhanced carry permit and it is a dream to shoot. It fits the palm well and just works, + you can send it to the factory and they will install all new springs, clean the internals AND install new sig night sights for around $160.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Lady
    My first choice would be a CZ, second is a Sig. The 226 I have runs great but then so does my older CZ75.
    I had a 92FS and put it up for adoption. For some reason it just didn't do it for me on any level. I only did 2 range trips with it.
    My favorite 9mm is my Browning HP. It's different though and not one of your choices.
    Feminine protection by Smith & Wesson

Only experience with CZ and SIG. Both great. I had an SP01 that I was using for competition but I'm not very good and went back to my striker gun. But I loved the feel of it. I also like the SIG P226 a lot but between the two prefer the feel of the CZ in the hand. But the quality of the SIG is very good. And I have a conversion kit that gave me a 9mm slide/barrel and mag. I bought it as a .357 SIG/.40 as it had both barrels. So three guns in one and I have no plans to let it go for sure. And I like the way it shoots.

But do you want a cocked and locked or decocker. CZ has lots more options and Cajun Gun Works provides a DIY gunsmith with some easy upgrades.

If you want a CZ pattern gun you also have several other options, including some value guns built in Turkey and the Jerico by ISI.

Love Life
    1) CZ
    2) Beretta
    3) Sig

Cz 75b. Its definitely on my short list. The beretta is way to bulky for a 9mm. The CZ fits the hand really nice. I have heard very good reports on the accuracy as well.

Boolit Buddy

Look seriously at the CZ line, I have the CZ75-B-SA, and its a keeper, added the 22LR conversion kit and it is one of my
    more accurate 9mm pistols. The poor mans Sig Neuhausen 210.

Boolit Grand Master

If you go w/ a CZ you have two great options for tuning. One is Cajun Gunworks who was mentioned above. The second is the CZ Custom Shop. I haven't been able to make my mind up as to who I'm sending mine to. A buddy has one worked over by CGW and it's a really slick pistol.

Boolit Master

CZ - one of the few guns still made completely out of STEEL, and you can carry the original version cocked and locked or DA/SA (personally, I'd get the SAO and not bother with the DA versions)

Sig - high bore axis and not very left hand friendly.

Beretta - I'd sooner have an obsidian spear.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have a Beretta 92fs and like it. I also have the Taurus PT92 which is a Beretta clone. Both are accurate for me and will eat any ammo I feed them without complaint.
    I can't give an opinion on the other guns mentioned as I have never shot them. They have good reputations so I wouldn't worry much about quality.
    I would suggest that you find a dealer where you can handle or try out the guns in question because how it feels in your hand is important.

Boolit Master
    I have a stainless 226 in 9mm that is my duty gun it has the short trigger and short trigger reset and it has become one of my all time favorite guns. It would be the 2nd to the last to be sold!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

Having used and carried all three down range (CZ was battlefield pickup). I've been shooting the CZ75 since I got my first one in Germany in 88' and still have one at the house. Got the most shooting with a M9 after decades of it being the service handgun and was working with one when I retired earning leg points going toward my Distinguished Pistol badge. Longest handgun was with a M9 and M882 Ball at 300m on a KD range. Worked with the SIG on and off over the years with the SEALs, Army has the compact version known as the M11 (228) but requires the most training as manual of arms is more different from the others. Carried a 226 on my first contract after retiring in Iraq. All are reliable guns you can trust your life to if you learn them.

CZ75-
    Pros
    All steel gun for least amount of recoil
    Low bore axis for fast shot recovery

Cons
    Hardest to find mags for and there are different generations
    Most limited holster selection
    Older models sight selection limited due to front sight staked in

Beretta 92
    Pros
    Softest shooting
    Lowest cost per quality spare mag and abundant
    Best holster selection

Cons
    Big and bulky (I have no issues carrying concealed however)
    Front sight is fixed on some guns (not dovetailed and part of slide)

SIG 226
    Pros
    Front and rear sight dovetailed

Cons
    Highest bore axis
    Different manual of arms

They are all good guns, it boils down to personal preference. Mine is the tied at Beretta/CZ with the SIG close third. However, as stated I have no issues carrying either one to protect myself or my country's.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    No competition...CZ75!

One of the finest, reliable, natural pointing, reasonably priced firearms you can buy.....and accurate as a bonus.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    IMHO, the CZ75 BD would be just about everyone's first pick out of the three if they had a chance to shoot one. I rented one at a shooting range and bought the first one that I could find. The photo is of the rental gun at the shooting range and I found and bought the same exact model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	154508
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the CZ75B, a fine shooter.