Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Universal case expanding die

Boolit Buddy

Lee Universal case expanding die

Is the Lee Universal Case Expanding die worth buying ? Or....is it better to buy all the individual expanders for each caliber I want to load?

Banned

Yes. It is really a Universal Flaring die. But it is also an excellent die body and you just add the expander plugs that NOE makes for them and it is a most excellent expanding die. For sure, get a couple and the get the expander plugs from NOE. No better way to expand cases for cast bullets in my opinion.

The flaring tool comment is spot on as that's really all it does,the plugs from NOE or the Lyman m dies are far superior to merely flaring the case mouth but the Lee does flare exceptionally well ( but only the mouth )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Yes. It is really a Universal Flaring die. But it is also an excellent die body and you just add the expander plugs that NOE makes for them and it is a most excellent expanding die. For sure, get a couple and the get the expander plugs from NOE. No better way to expand cases for cast bullets in my opinion.
    This is the way to go. You can get the expanders and the Lee Universal Expanding die from NOE at a very reasonable price.

Boolit Grand Master

I like it. It gets old buying individual expanders for every caliber, not to mention expensive.
    I use a dedicated Lyman M die for 30 cal. rifles , but since getting a Lee universal expander have not had to buy any other M's, the lee handles all handgun flaring chores . It works, it's handy and one of Lee's good little gadgets.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I bought the Lee a while back when I started casting. Mostly for rifles as lee dies will give a flare to a pistol case. But then discovered the NOE expanders, went and bought a second die so I don't have to switch them out so much.

Boolit Master
    If you expand your cases, then it is NOT the die for you. If all you want is to flare the case mouth, it will do the job, and only that job.
    For me, it is used for flaring bottleneck cases prior to seating lead bullets--and that is all it is good for.
    I find that lack of real case expansion leads to lead bullets being swaged down or bullet being seated crooked and causing a bulge to one side of the case where the base of bullet pushes the case out.
    I wrote to Lee years ago about truth in advertising and the fact that the Universal Expanding Die does NOT expand, it only flares.

Boolit Grand Master

I like mine and yes, it is only a flaring tool... or case mouth expander maybe?

I size so that the necks are correct for my cast boolits then use the Lee universal case mouth expander/flaring tool to do just that and it works very well.

As a side note, my lee Enfields all want a boolit of about 0.315" and my RCBS sizing die sizes to SAAMI specs to suit a 0.311"/0.312" bullet. Well, that much squishing then expanding is hard on brass and cast boolits if the case neck is not expanded first and certainly the Lee tool does not do that.

I went to a Lee collet sizer to neck size only and set that to size to 0.313" then use the flaring tool to flare the case mouth. Most calibers run tighter chambers than Lee Enfields though so unless you have a milsurp with over size chamber that part may not be an issue.

Anyway, I digress. It is a terrific tool for flaring case mouths.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I watched a video from FortuneCookie45LC on you tube on having an expander die to bell cases in the 1st position and having a powder through expander die and powder measure at the 2nd station, then the bullet seater 3rd and crimp die 4th. This is on a Lee Turret Press with Lee dies and drum measure. He sizes and primes separately. My question is, can the Lee Universal Expander die be used in position 1 and the 45-70 Lee powder through die and expander be used at position 2. I am doing 45-70 with a Lee 4 set dies and trying to eliminate the chatter or catch in the downstroke from the powder measure and expander. Should I get a 2nd Lee powder through 45-70 die or get the Universal Expander die.
    Do the NOE expanders specific for each caliber, or are they universal?

Boolit Master
    The NOE expanders are size specific. So if you need a 358 expander for 9mm, you could used it for 38 Special, 357 Magnum, etc, anything you load that needs that size boolit. You will need a different expander plug for say 40SW or 45-70. Good thing they are only around $6 apiece, pretty inexpensive. Yes you can use the Universal Expander in station one, I do for 223 on a Dillon 550b. I would change the plug that comes with it from the factory, it does not expand, it just bells the case.

Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post
    I am doing 45-70 with a Lee 4 set dies and trying to eliminate the chatter or catch in the downstroke from the powder measure and expander.
    For the record, the Lee Powder Through Expander is supposed to do that. It shakes any loose powder granules from the tube on the downstroke. Helpful for light flake powders.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Buddy
    I originally bought one when I was playing around with Bator bullets for the .223. Worked well and I have used it for other calibers as needed.

Boolit Master
    I use one for loading 43 Mauser ammo since Lyman doesn't make an M die in that size.It works well enough.

Another fan of the Lee Universal expander as well as the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. Lee has N important place on my bench.

Banned
    I like my Lee universal dies. I have several, one for each rifle caliber (except 45-70).

I have 4-hole turrets set up for several rifle calibers. (They aren't caliber specific, just the same dies in different turrets.) I size, trim and prime separately. I then move to my Classic Turret press.

Station 1 has a flaring die, station 2 has the powder drop, station 3 has the seating die then station 4 has the crimp die.

Works for me in 30-30, 30-06, 7X57, 308W and a few others I can't remember off hand.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it's worth it IMO. I think you'll use it more than you first think.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

While the Lee Universal may not do exactly the same thing than a "M" die does. It does flare the neck enough to allow you to load cast easily.

I started out with a tapered center punch and a light hammer. Compared to that the Lee is a precision instrument.

In part I suspect it depends on your needs. But I have used mine a lot in the last 4-5 years since I got it. I wouldn't be without one.

Boolit Master
    Handy to have. If you lack the 'right' diameter 'M' expanding die or NOE expanding plug. Also used to hold the NOE expanding plugs. Must be used carefully as it can (will) put a large flare on cases. Uniform case length is especially important when using the Lee flaring/expanding plug.

The Lee expanding die and NOE plugs don't cost much either.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    First of all I'm no champion of Lee products but darn it, they DO come up with some pretty clever little gizmos. I purchased the expander die on the advice of a forum member and frankly I use it MORE than my M die. Works on just about any case where a little mouth flaring is a good thing, and it's surprising how often I use it! Not familiar with the NOE plugs, but will look into them.

Another good gizmo is their Factory Crimp Die.......yeah, I know, there are many opinions on that one too but I find that it provides a uniform crimp. This maintains a good shot to shot pressure, more than I get with regular dies, and allows rougher handling of cartridges if the need arises.

Okay, you got a lot of opinions and information.........now just buy the thing. You won't regret it. Oh, be sure to save the little instruction sheet inside for future reference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast