Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Re-Barreling/Re-Chambering my K31 Swiss

Boolit Master
    For being a home hobbist and not being a gun smith or a machinist your work and pictures are first rate. Your post with pictures would make a top rate article in any gun mag .thanks for posting this article. It has inspired me to finish some of the gun projects I have going.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    For being a home hobbist and not being a gun smith or a machinist your work and pictures are first rate. Your post with pictures would make a top rate article in any gun mag .thanks for posting this article. It has inspired me to finish some of the gun projects I have going.

Thank you Jneidbalski:

Writing articles for gun mags is one of many dreams of mine that will most likely go unfulfilled. I'll eventually accomplish some of my dreams but not all of them. This K31 project is one of the small ones I guess.

If I ever get the chance to do another K31 I think I prefer a venue like this one in which to post my work. It allows for real-time feedback for my work where the gun magazines adhere to strict word count. To many details tend to get overlooked and to many readers are left scratching their heads.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    In the back of my mind I knew it would be possible. I actually had more of a shotgun-type of pump action in mind but this just confirms the possibility. The way I've dreamed of doing it would require the fabrication of custom stock with the linkage to cycle the action running along the side of the stock within some milled slots.

The K31 in the photo appears to be a bull-pup configuration with a secondary cocking lever up front. It looks like it weighs a ton but still, the thought that went into it is commendable.

HollowPoint
    Yes it was a bit heavy

Some specifications of the rifle;

- K31 receiver.

- 'Furter' match-grade bull-barell, 25 inches long, free floating.
    - suppressor (5 inches in front of the muzzle, 8 inches behind the muzzle, works very good).
    - Overall length: 40,6 inches (that's pretty short).
    - Scope Springfield 6x 40.
    - Bipod is special, the rifle is 'hanging' under instead of 'standing' on the bipod.
    - Special stock, build from ply-wood (in german: Schichtholz).
    - Mechanical trigger connected to the original trigger in the back of the stock (bullpup-system).
    - 6 round original magazine.
    - This winter it got a new finish in Swiss-camo pattern, after having optimized the stock (better scope protection, as seen in the pictures).
    - Weight is 16,7 pounds (a little bit heavy)
    - It shoots 1 MOA, very accurately till about 800 m using original Swiss GP11 ammunition (at 800 m on a steel plate (30 x 40 cm) some 70 % hits).

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I'm a member over on the Swiss Rifle forum and I don't remember ever seeing this one either. Of course, I wasn't really looking for anything like this since joining there. It's gratifying to know that there are others doing stuff like this too.

There is something I would like to know with certainty about the K31 receiver. That is, what cartridge or chambering would represent the maximum pressures that the K31 action could repeatedly and safely withstand. No one I've spoken to seems to know for sure. This is one of the main reasons I joined that Swiss Rifle forum. There are some very knowledgable folks there but there knowledge base stems from book and magazine reading and not really from hands on knowledge.

For me knowledge of any kind, no matter how it's gained is benefitial regarding working on K31's but I've yet to come across this and other bits of information about the receiver or action components of this rifle.

I've done some informal research into it and the best I could come up with were some of the other listed chambering-s that other more recognized names have re-chambered the K31's action to. By comparing the maximum average pressures of those cartridges it gave me some idea but it was not really definitive.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Google Larry Racine, he rebarrels K31's to 308 and makes match rifles out of them. Has a website so maybe you could contact him and see what he has to say. Frank

Boolit Master
    I've corresponded with Larry Racine on more than one occasion about this very subject. He was very helpful and he never failed to reply to my inquiries. There are other outfits in the world like Hammereli rifle who have rebarreled K31s up to magnum calibers too but what I was really looking for was the safety limits of K31's action.

Someone is bound to have this information. Finding that someone with that particular knowledge is turning out to be very illusive. At any rate, the 6.5x284 Norma chambering that I've dreamt of will have to wait until I win the lottery or until some long lost wealthy relative passes on and leaves me enough money to undertake such another K31 project.

HollowPoint

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Mold
    What is the latest on this project.

I am in the middle of trying to get the blue prints so the step files can be written and attempt to get a barrel reproduced with out the adapter.
    Was told on another forum about this thread. Very very informative.

If anyone has more information please chime in.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910