WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Spatchcocked Turkey

Boolit Grand Master

Spatchcocked Turkey

Backbone removed and breast bone broken. Lays flat.
    Took an extra hour because of the cold and wind. Charcoal is high maintenance in cols windy weather.
    Tasted great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spatchcocked Turkey Prep.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	154267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spatchcocked Turkey Done.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	154266

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Perm-Banned
    saw that method on the cooking channel done by big time chefs. they used that method on big chickens. has to be a good way to prepare and cook a big bird.

I've done turkeys on the grill and covered the whole bird in bacon. It makes for a self basting bird. Juiciest bird you'll ever eat. I have not done them with the back bone removed. I will now with the bird spatch cocked. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Moderator Emeritus

Alton Brown uses a brick wrapped in foil and preheated on the grill for 30 minutes. The brick goes on top of the bird when the bird goes on the grill. Never done it, just watched good eats.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Alton Brown uses a brick wrapped in foil and preheated on the grill for 30 minutes. The brick goes on top of the bird when the bird goes on the grill. Never done it, just watched good eats.

What does the brick do?? Heat from the top or hold the bird down??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Both! It crisps the top skin and helps hold it flat.

Boolit Master

I did the same - two actually. Brined for 24 hours, then on the pellet smoker with applewood pellets. Huge success, with everyone claiming it was the best turkey they ever ate.

Here's a pic of the smoker just before unloading, breasts up top, and legs and thighs below. Below that is a tray containing stock, veggies, the backbone, neck and wings for gravy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	154427

Boolit Master

My sister cooked at her house this year and did something completely different but akin to the spatchcocking.

She slit the skin on the back and carefully fillet it around taking the breast meat off with the skin. Took the legs, wings and carcass and cooked in in a pressure cooker and made stock for gravy. She patted/beat the breast meat flat and filled with stuffing an rolled it up as a roast and cooked it. The extra skin was crisped like delicious turkey bacon. Oh my that was my first bite.

The turkey was great like that. The only minor thing I noted was the turkey sliced like a roast with the stuffin in the center was cut cross grain, unlike your usual turkey slices with the grain. Minor point but it was noted.