RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart, a Viable Modern Cartridge conversion for .25 Stevens Firearms.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Well that is a pain. One thing that might help - I have found I can make sizing dies out of 12L14 and have H&M do their black nitride finish to it. They come back plenty hard to form and resize brass, and that leaded steel is so easy to machine and get a nice finish on.

-Nobade
    Who is H&M? I've got a little work for them...
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Antietamgw View Post
    Who is H&M? I've got a little work for them...
    These guys...
    http://www.blacknitride.com/

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you!
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

I'm trying to figure how the rim works with it being smaller than the original .25 Stevens. My converted 1915 .25 Stevens won't extract a .25 acp, but it does fire it.

Boolit Master
    Paul5388,
    I believe Your "Extraction Problem" is due to the Original Extractor fitted to your .25 Stevens Rifle.
    It was originally cut to fit the Rim Fire Round and then use over the Years has eroded the Tip shorter.
    An Extractor may be Purchased as a Blank from "Wisner's" then cut and filed to properly extract the Semi-rimmed .25ACP cartridge. It will need careful fitting to the Cartridge and Chamber to:
    1. Not "push" the Cartridge Head hard against the opposite Wall of the Chamber.
    2. Catch the Rim up near the smaller diameter Clearance Groove in the Cartridge Head.
    3. Be contoured so it does not 'cam' the rim out of Engagement with the Extractor tip during the Extraction process.
    4. Be Hardened and Tempered so as to provide long Service life after Shaping.

In my Estimation, the face of The Extractor against the Rim should be Square and Perpendicular to the Cartridge Rim when it is seated in the Chamber. The Face of the Extractor tip facing the Muzzle should be tapered so as it pivots in the Extraction process it does NOT push upward on the Extractor Clearance Groove wall and thereby push the .25ACP case head up and out of contact with the Extractor tip corners 'pulling' on the rim.
    Remember the Stevens Extractor is a Pivoted Lever and the Tip moves on a Radius, Describing a Curved Path.
    I find that most original Stevens .25 Stevens RF chambers, being mostly over 100 Years old and used with Corrosive Cartridges then mostly not Cleaned properly after use, have eroded considerably leaving plenty of movement space to the Case Head.
    It Is Possible to fit the Extractor to extract .25ACP out of Such a chamber IF the person is Aware of the potential problems.
    The 1915 Favorite was fitted with a combination Extractor and Ejector which has a Spring Loaded plunger built into it so it may be better to use one of the 1894 style to get the dimensions for the Lip correct It is FAR easier to put in and take out of the Action in the fitting Process.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.

I ordered a new extractor from Wisners, along with some new screws.

Now I'm having difficulties with shell holders. The Lee #15 doesn't fit my brass, so I tried a #7 with no success. I think I'll order some .25-10 brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge LLC.

Boolit Master
    If you are using Lee #15 Shell Holder for 6.35x28.6mmSR 'once fired' cartridges you may need to "Clean Up" the rims slightly on the Cases as FN Extractor and Ejector are "Rough" on the rims and leave Burrs on Once Fired Brass. Usually you can Feel the Burrs if you spin the Brass between Your fingers.
    Redding #34 seems to be cut a "skoche" looser and may accept the burred Rims more often.
    Lee #15 is listed as Fitting both the .25ACP And the 5.7x28mm rims but machining tolerances may make it a Tight fit on the 5.7x28mm rim on a NEW UNFIRED case rim, let alone a burred Once Fired one.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    February 20th, Frustrated with what PT&G sent me in lieu of what I thought I ordered.
    The Received ".25-25 Stevens FIN" chamber reamer is both larger in diameter and longer in Chamber Length than is useful to me and my Experiments.
    I had desired a ".25 Stevens (Long) Rim Fire size Match Grade Chamber Finish Reamer" and tried to order it over the Telephone with PT&G.
    The Desired Cartridge is .276" Body Diameter and 1.125" nominal Case Length (measured Chambers seem to be about 1.150" to 1.160" length, diameters are too worn to be measured reliably.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

I just ordered a box of .25-10 from Rocky Mountain Cartridge LLC. At this point, it just seems like the best option.

Boolit Master
    Paul5388,
    Please post your experience with the Rocky Mountain Cartridge 25-10 cases.
    Being CNC machined from Brass Bar Stock according RMC web site, they sound intriguing, although the Price per box of 20 seems out of my
    Budget Range.

General Interest:
    I have been Conversing via Telephone with PT&G's Dave Kitt on working up a Chamber Reamer Drawing to make a Finish Chamber reamer for "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart" to replace the ".25-25 Stevens" reamer they sent in error. I presume they will also send a RMA form so I can return this 'incorrect for my use or order' Reamer.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Here's the response I got on the .25-10 order and it seems that they don't have them in stock quite yet.
    Thank you - received it fine. Will charge out your order when we begin
    production.

Tom, Cheri & Kody Outland

Rocky Mountain Cartridge LLC
    1195 Lane 10
    Worland WY 82401
    Phone: 307.347.4547 | Fax: 307.347.4261
    www.rockymountaincartridge.com

Boolit Master
    Patience is a Required Virtue for Old Firearms users it seems.

Chuckling,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Talked to my gunsmith today and received the News that the Barrel is machined and fitted and will be going out for Bluing as par to a batch of work soon.
    I did drop off The Third Cylinder so he can start on it's conversion to .25 Caliber from .22 caliber.
    Also, he said my Model 44 rifle is getting Closer, he is finishing the fitting of a CF firing Pin to it.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The Revolver Barrel is going out as part of a Batch Lot of items for Bluing next Week so the Revolver is getting Close to Delivery.

My gunsmith still needs to finish fitting the CF Firing Pin in my Modified Stevens Model 44 Breech block, then we can Test fire it.

A side note: got my two dogs Bathed, Haircuts, toenails trimmed and they are now ready for warm Spring and early Summer. I still Need to take them to the Vet. for annual Checkup and Shots before paying the Annual License Fees.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-03-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Got My two dogs to the Vet and they are in good shape with their shots current.
    Then got a "Work Call" from my Union Dispatcher that started at 1500 Thursday March 24th and "Wrapped" at 2200 April 1st. over 90 hours of Paid work will help with my Bills as they are rising and my 'retirement pensions' are not.

The Revolver barrel is still out for the Bluing process and the rifle firing pin is still being 'fitted'.
    I still need to package and mail the .25-25 Stevens reamer back to PTG so they can give me credit for the replacement chamber reamer.

I spent Saturday Sleeping and resting to recover from the Intense Long Work Hours on a Movie Project that ended April 1st. I am GLAD fro the Work and Pay but Tired and Sore from getting it done.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I have not been Able to do much further work on developing this Cartridge due to loss of one of my Sizing Stage Dies and Lee Precision saying a replacement will not be made until after November of this year or longer.

My completed Revolver Frame assembly and two of four Cylinders are back in my hands but I don't have the "Discretionary funds" to go Shoot it now (Boo Hiss on the Economy and my Fixed Income Retirements).

This Loss has also Curtailed my other 5.7x28 Resizing efforts as the process Requires at least Three roughly equal steps in the Swaging Process for Good Yield results. So my Experiments with all Three 6.35 . . . Case designs is Impacted by the delay in getting a Replacement die made.

Additionally the Last two Utility Billings Have Been Very High due to Adverse Weather here (Hot And Drought) curtailing my "Discretionary Spending Funds" for the time being.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in further News of Progress.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Pacific Tool and Gauge has a Chamber Reamer Print on file for this cartridge:
    It is "6.35 x 28.6mm SR Stewart fin 43962 William Stewart".

Also there is a revised version:
    It is "6.35 x 32mm SR Stewart Fin Rev B 43962 William Stewart".

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-27-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    It seems it will be "a few more weeks' until my reamer is ready to ship from PT&G.

In the mean time, i took a Solid Pilot 'rechamber' reamer i received earlier along with a Piloted counterbore and one of my Replacement ".22-Mag" 8 shot Cylinders to my gunsmith to chamber for ".25ALS / 6,35x28.6mmSR and set up to allow use of reformed Hornet Brass (.348" diameter rim) with the Rim thinned to .050" thick.
    The Two reamer pilots are both .250" diameter so he will first need to bore the cylinder out to that dimension, then counter bore for the rim and finally ream the chambers.
    The .350" nominal Counterbore will leave a margin between rim rebates in the finished cylinder so all rims will still be enclosed with Alloy Steel.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The ordered "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart Reamer turned out to be a Resizing Type that cuts undersize to prepare for a Finish Reamer.
    Later I Tried To order a finish 6.35x28.6mmSR reamer and got a ".25 Magnum Auto (same dimensions as a 6.35x26mmSR cartridge) Finish Reamer, oh well, It is one I wanted anyway.

The New PTG ".25 Magnum Auto. FIN" Reamer does cut a usable Chamber, i made a "dummy chamber" in a Blank die body i had on hand.
    The Reamer, along with a Rim counterbore Tool to fit the .22 Hornet Parent Rim diameter, my Dummy chamber, and a Replacement 8-Shot Ruger .22-MAG Cylinder for Rework went to My gunsmith and are in his line to get done.

In the same Batch, I took a .32 LC Finish chamber reamer and a Used .22LR Ruger 6-Shot to be re-cut in .32 LC I am talking the OLD Colt Cartridge of .318" body diameter. this will be reviewed to see if I like the Chambers then if Acceptable be Reworked to fit a .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Six I recently Acquired as A Used Revolver Purchase.

Today I placed Orders with PT&G to get a "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart" Replaceable Pilot Finish Chamber Reamer, Two .25 Cal. Pilot Drilled Blank Die Bodies, Two .30 Cal. Pilot Drilled Blank die bodies. and sets of Bushings for .25 Ca. and .30 Cal to use in reaming the Die Bodies.

Now I Wait. Patiently I Hope.

Best Results,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    The "6.35x28.6mmST Stewart Premium Finish Chamber Reamer" Came and is now at my gunsmith to have an 8-Shot cylinder Re-cut with it.
    it is joined by My ".6.35x26mmST Finish Chamber Reamer" and a second 8-shot cylinder to get Re-cut with it.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-14-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: correct typo in text.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast