Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart, a Viable Modern Cartridge conversion for .25 Stevens Firearms.

Boolit Master
    Still awaiting my gunsmith to get to this Project again.
    He is currently out on Vacation/Medical recovery from his second Joint replacement surgery.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    This looks like a fun build and thread.I`ll saddle up and ride along.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I bought a New Lee Universal Expander Die and Set About Modifing It for a Dedicated Expander die for my 5.7x28mm case reforming process.

Just Tried out my New Lee "Universal Expander" Die with the Small Cartridge Expander stem Turned To .250" diameter. Outstanding results! The Die / Stem expands the Neck/Shoulder of 5.7x28 Cases Enough so the Swaging Process Removes the Felt evidence of The Prior Neck and Shoulder Junctions. My Prior Expander was a .2500" Drill Blank machined With a tapered end and Chucked in my Bench Drill Press for Use. It left a Slight Felt difference in diameters in the Area of the Neck and Shoulder Joints in my Swaged cases.

Very Happy with this new Modified Expander and Die!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Time for an Update to this thread:

The "6.35x26mmSR Stewart" or, as a 'short hand label', ".25ALS" is a .278" body diameter Case derived from a 5.7x28mm Fn case by multiple step swaging / sizing down form the original diameter of ~.314". The Short 'name is derived from the two cartridges that inspired its development: the .25 Automatic Colt Pistol and the .25 Stevens (Long) Rim Fire.

It is published on "Ammoguide International" as their cartridge number 958:

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Bullet Diameter: .250 in.
    Max Overall Length: 1.400 in.
    Rifling Twist: 1-in-9.4 in.
    Rifling Lands: 6
    Case Capacity (est): 12.2 gr. water
    Primer Size: .175 in.
    NOMINAL PERFORMANCE
    Bullet Weight: 65 gr
    Muzzle Velocity: 1,000 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 144 ft-lbs

Note That the Nominal performance is at Reduced Pressures to the limits of a 1894 Stevens "Favorite" action so the MV shown is low transonic. The cartridge design is capable of higher Pressures, and performance, as the Parent 5.7x28mmSR is rated at 50,000psi Pmax MAP.
    The Above listed Twist is an older Lothar Walther stated value for their, now 1 turn in 9.8 inch, 6,35 Browning Cr-Mo Alloy Barrel Blanks. the other current source for suitable new production barrel dimensions is "TJ Liners" with their .25ACP liner listed as 1 turn in 14 inches.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-17-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Friday, may 25th, I received my New JGS Precision 'cylinder' Finish chamber reamer of .2795" body diameter titled the ".25ALS WS #4".
    This is a Straight Wall 'Cylinder' Chamber to mitigate 'bulging' of the fired cases in 'Tapered' Chambers cut with my original PT&G Finish Chamber Reamer.

Now I will Need to take it, and another 8-shot replacement aftermarket Ruger cylinder, to my Gunsmith to have the cylinder's .22MAG Chambers reamed out to .251" through then chambered with the JGS Reamer.

Chev. William

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123