Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

Boolit Master
    My Union Local (IBEW Local 40) Dispatches for Signatory Employers. A 'Work Call' is a Call from the Dispatcher asking if the Union member will accept the offer of Work. As a 'retired 73 year old' I tend to get the Calls for temporary work, such as running a Generator set or Operating a 'Ritter' Fan (a Movie Wind Machine). I am Currently on a multiple day job that Started March 24th at 1500 hours PDT.
    Getting to and from the Jobs varies in difficulty, from a few miles Drive to some of about 50 Miles one way for "Location Movie Scenes). The Current Job is on Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood, CA and is usually a longish walk form the Parking Structure to the Stage or Back Lot site towing a Cart with my Tool Kit on it. Each "call" has a Minimum 8 hours paid time so it is profitable most of the time.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

PS: I joined the Local based upon my Navy Career and my Defense Electronics Experience after Working "off and on" as a "Permittee", paying for months in which I got a call. I am dispatched out of the "Movie Industry Book #1" in my Union. I started taking 'Permit' jobs back in 1986 between Jobs in the Electronics Industry, finally getting tired of being hired for a Long Term, leading to Retirement, only to be laid off 3 to 5 years later when the Project was completed or there was a 'downturn' in the Industry. After Joining the Union as a Regular Member I received work that lasted steadily for several years then I switched to part time work after reaching 68 years of age. I am Still Taking Work Calls to supplement my Social Security, Military Retirement, and Veteran's Disability payments. They keep me active and pay well when they come. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-27-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Master

Chev
    THANK YOU
    Great explaination
    Happy Easter
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Was a Working Easter! 0700 to 2030 so it was a LONG Day.

Happy Easter Everyone.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Belated update:
    Last Thursday afternoon my gunsmith said my custom 10-5/8" barrel was waiting at the Bluing contractor for Pickup and perhaps the shop owner would get the Lot sometime this week.

He also showed me the firing pin in my Converted CF Stevens model 44 that still needs trimming to length to work properly (tip extends about 1/4 inch as displayed and does not fully retract when opening the action yet).

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Tax Day, Friday April 15th, I stopped by my gunsmith's Shop an was told the Bluing Lot that contained my custom Revolver barrel was picked up and was back in his shop. Progress is happening.
    While there I bought 100 rounds of .32 S&W 85 grain Lead Round Nose Magtech ammo for my Iver Johnson 5 shot DA Revolver. I hope to get to my local Range sometime soon.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-27-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Today I got a call from my gunsmith that he needed me to brin gin my .25ACP reamer again to touch up some chambers. He said he had the Barrel final fitted to the Frame and had fired it a couple of times so I took my camera along.

This is the Left side with the cylinder removed.

This is the Right side with the cylinder removed.

Willie said I might be able to pick the revolver up Friday or Saturday.

Also here are Photos of my replacement 2006 Dodge Dakota:

The body color is Bright Silver Metallic and the Body Side Moldings are painted Mineral Gray Metallic by my choice.

only some interior mods to do and a few Decals to apply to get it into the Way my old Black one was outfitted.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-08-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was able to pick up my customized Ruger "Convertible Single Six" in 25ACP this afternoon with only the .25ACP cylinder ready to use. Willie Clark, my gunsmith, was taking in three REM Rolling Blocks, one Carbine and two Rifles with full length wood to be "Slugged" and Chamber Casts made when I arrived. 'Bedlam' in the Shop for a while as Willie was pulled off to reassemble a 1873 Winchester the customer had taken apart and Jammed up putting it back together. Good conversation with the owner of the RBs while waiting.
    Now to Get to a Range and try it out. I wil try to get some completed photos of it and post them.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    suspense is killing us!

Boolit Master
    Have Patience. I AM of an Age where it takes time and Preparation to take long Trips or Walk longer distances on 'rough Terrain'.
    I had two friends over Saturday Moving, and Removing to a Salvage/Scrap yard, a few Heavy items and it Did Not make the rest of the day go well for me. The Clean Up is needed and will continue in the future. Sunday I am expecting Visitors about Midday so I do not believe I will be going to a range either Before nor after they are expected.
    Perhaps one day next Week? It all depends . . .

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Jere are some photos of the Ruger with its .25ACP cylinder that I took and Edited Sunday afternoon:

(the cylinder is still marked ".22-MAG" but is reamed and chambered in .25ACP.)

My gunsmith put 32 rounds through it getting the Firing Pin and Timing Correct.

It now has an offset Firing Pin Tip in an Offset Bushing and a custom fitted and Timed S.S. 'Hand'.

I have been waiting all day for some Visitors who called and made an appointment to come over Today at about 10:00 but have yet to show up at 16:05.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-01-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    And today, here is a photo of the complete Revolver's Left side, with my ".25ACP" 8 shot cylinder installed:

The Revolver is still marked as ".22 CAL." and the Cylinder is still marked "22-MAG".

Maybe someday I will get the Cylinder remarked to reflect the actual Cartridge it is chambered for.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    hows it shoot?

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith was happy. He fired 32 rounds through it before handing it over to me.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-05-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    This Afternoon I got to go to an Indoor range to try out my Ruger Customized Revolver.
    All discussions on targeting are based upon a 'Military 6 O'clock Sight Picture' and 12 hour clock face directions.

First Target at ~15 to~21 Yards I fired 17 rounds, with several "Jams" but got 15 rounds on paper in a 'pattern' generally about 7:00 and about the outer ring. I think this Revolver will shoot better than I can hold standing in a Two Handed Grip. Cocking with my weak thumb.

I then adjusted the rear sight elevation screw two clicks CW and Hung the Second Target.
    8 rounds fired, 7 rounds on paper, and 'pattern' centered about 7:30 on the edge of the Black. One round made a Oblong hole. this is again at the range maximum distance.
    Again two 'hang ups locking cylinder rotation.

Third target Hung and rear sight adjusted one additional Click CW (seems like the limit of adjustment reached). Fired 8 rounds and 7 rounds on paper. The pattern seems to be about the 8:00 position on the edge of the central red circle. There were three hang ups blocking cylinder rotation in this string.

Each 'hang up' was cleared by removing the Cylinder from the firearm with Cases and unfired cartridges in place. All 'hang up' rounds show asymmetrical primer face bulge/distortion. apparently along the Half circle around the firing pin hole in the bushing. It is too dark tonight to take photos of the case heads and targets so I will try to do it tomorrow. i will then be taking the revolver, cases, and targets in to my gunsmith for a 'consultation'.

The other 'News' is I purchased a early 1900s Winchester 'Leg of Mutton' 1890 Take down rifle case that came in yesterday's mail. It is clean, Tan in color and needs much TLC as the Stitching failed in shipping. It even has a locking Buckle holding the cover closed and came with the key!
    This lock is more of a 'safeguard to keep 'honest people honest', not a Secure Locking feature" to dissuade 'those of Criminal Intent'. it is designed as part of the Buckle's Tung and secures the Tung from releasing the Leather Tab that holds the Leather hinged End Cover closed wit two opposing 'bolts' that slot into the Buckle Bail.

I do have a Local Custom Saddle maker and Leather Worker to work in its repair/restoration that has done work for me in the past.

I feel the "patterning" reported is more my fault than the Revolver as standing long periods is not really comfortable for me. the patterns were generally horizontal but had fliers away from the Group. Perhaps more Practice will bring better results.

Also the Muzzle Noise, with soft ear plugs was about the same as a .22LR Rifle and much more pleasant than the .38 and .375 revolvers being shot about five stations away.

I am Leaving the revolver uncleaned to show my gunsmith.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-06-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correct Typos and errors in interpretation of results.

Boolit Master

OK, and you may also want to prime some of your ammo with Remington 7 1/2 primers and drop the powder charge one grain
    That should take care of your primer deformation issues, perhaps
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    OK, and you may also want to prime some of your ammo with Remington 7 1/2 primers and drop the powder charge one grain
    That should take care of your primer deformation issues, perhaps
    Mike
    The Ammo is/was Factory loaded PPU 50 grain FMJ-RN so custom hand loads were not involved . . . . yet.
    I do save my brass for future Reloading.
    I have returned my Revolver to my Gunsmith for correction as "It Should Not do This" malfunction. The Whole Idea of a revolver is High Reliability Operation with Factory Ammo, and ease of adapting it to similar but longer cartridges by simple change of cylinder(s).

I expect it to fire multiple full cylinders of cartridges without malfunction when it is fully Debugged.

I will keep your suggestions in mind for future Load testing, especially when I try heavier Bullets in the .25 ACP case.

the ~9.4 to ~9.8 inch per turn twist rate of my 10-5/8" barrel should stabilize bullets heavier than the 50 grain pills factories Load in this cartridge. as I believe 'stock Twist is around 1 turn in 14 inches.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Here are some photos I took before turning the revolver over to my gunsmith:

The first target I fired with this customized Ruger Revolver. i believe the Revolver shoots Better than I can hold at the moment. I was using the 'military 6 O'clock Sight Picture.

This photo of the case heads of fired rounds illustrate the 'Half Moon Bulge on those which caused 'Hang ups' in rotating the cylinder for the Next shot.

Boolit Master
    Here is Alliant's answer to my inquiry:
    "RE: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form
    Date: May 11, 2016 10:19 AM

William,
    Alliant has no tested load data for the 25 Auto using the BE-86 propellant.
    Thanks,
    Shoot Straight
    DuaneVB
    CCI/Speer/Alliant
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID"

So it seems I, and other Experimenters, are in "Uncharted Territory" to use of BE-86 propellant.

I do have a one lb. canister of BE-86 to experiment with IF I a\can get some useful guidelines for it application to these small diameter Cases.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Upon rereading my first range report about firing my Ruger in .25ACP configuration I noted I did not discuss other characteristics of the Revolver.

Recoil is small to negligible with a small muzzle Rise with firing, about from the "6 O'clock hold" to the top of the Paper. at this distance on this target (25 yard Target). Very comfortable to handle.
    The two handed grip is due to my Poor stamina in a long, standing, position. I was faced square to the target, with Spread legs and leaning against the 'shooting bench' with both arms at full extension forward with my Right hand wrapped around the Grip and my left hand over-wrapping my right. This left my Left thumb available for Cocking the action between shots. The 10-5/8 barrel seems slightly muzzle heavy to my unaccustomed hands. it will take more firing practice to make a better determination on that.
    As I said in previous post the Muzzle Blast is mild and comparable to a .22LR rifle in character as perceived by this Hearing damaged Veteran with foam Ear plugs in place. Definitely much more comfortable than teh Muzzel reports of the Revolver(s) firing about 5 stations to my right. This was an Indoor Range which does have an effect on Muzzle Reports perceived.

Generally, I think I will enjoy this Revolver once it is 'debugged' and working reliably to my satisfaction. A Very good beginning outing I think.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    In shop time about how many hours did your gunsmith spend on your project?

I'm old too so I may have missed it. Are the cylinder throats larger than the rear of the barrel?

Also, I have an extra custom powder disc for throwing very small powder charges with a Lee Auto Disc powder measure. If you wish, I'll send it to you to try, and if you like it you can have it for the actual cost(cheap). By mistake I ordered two. Better than that-pay the postage and you can have it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast