RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

Good job on the new wheels. I know how stressful vehicle shopping can be! Now you need to get a big RV so you can make use of those "extras" .

Boolit Master
    Update On My Truck "saga":
    Monday, I took the Insurance Check to my Credit Union as they wanted Proof I could Pay the Difference between what They Would Loan on the Used Replacement Truck and what the Dealer Price is.
    Then they Placed a four Business Day Hold on the Deposited Check to make sure it was 'honored' by the Issuing Bank (Bank of America).
    Thursday I went back and Signed the Loan paperwork and was told to come back Friday for the Money in the Form of Cashier's Checks.
    Friday AM, went to CU, Received Two Cashier's Checks (made out to the Dealer) for: 1.) the amount of the Loan; and 2.) the remainder of the Purchase Price.
    Drove to Dealer and handed over the Checks, received the Assurances of the Dealer that the New Tire guarantees (for the Tires on the Truck) would be Registered to me/the Truck.
    I was also told The Extended Coverage (three Years of All parts guaranteed Coverage or 36000 miles which ever Comes first) would arrive in about 30 days, Total on the Truck is about $18,500.00 and I still need to do the License Transfer After I get the Registration in the mails.

I now have possession and part ownership of the Replacement 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 $.7L SLT Truck fitted with a Frame mount Class III/IV Hitch receiver and Trailer Wiring, Provisions for RV towing of the Truck including Break away Braking and & Towing/Towed Vehicle Wiring and a Roll up Bed Cover over a Sprayed On Liner in the Bed.
    The Truck is in "Bright Silver" (Code "PS2") while the previous truck was "Black Pearl Metallic" along with having the "Night Runner" package including a Power Adjustable driver Seat with adjustable Lumbar Support built in to the Seat Back. I have Retained The "salvaged" vehicle also.

Now Comes the "search" for Items to 'bring the Silver Truck up to the Level of the Black Truck before the Accident:
    - A Driver Side Power Adjustable Seat.
    - Body Side Molding (about 2" wide soft Colored Moldings to protect the Doors (and rear body sides) from Shopping Cart Scrapes and Dings.
    - A bug Deflector for the Front Hood.
    - Repair of a 'dinged front 'Bumper' (plastic cover, inner Support and possibly the Steel Backer).
    - Add Soft 'bumper edging' to rear Bumper, again to limit Scrapes and Dings.
    - Miscellaneous Decals such as American Flags for the rear side windows, IBEW Local Decals, NRA Life Member Decals, CPO Gold Crow Decal, Etc.
    - Install a 2.5 Watt Solar Panel against the Windshield to "keep alive' the Battery (Done already).
    - A Roll Up Solar Shield for inside the Vehicle use when Parked outside ( Dealer only had a Fold up Solar Shield so I bought one)

Generally, to reprise Things that I found very useful on the Black Truck in my past Driving.
    Friday Night I already have used the Silver Truck to help a Friend in 'Need' on his Job.

Stopped by my Gunsmith's and he is back after the Holidays but had no progress on my Projects to report.
    Still Waiting for The PT&G .25 Stevens Long Rifle Chamber Reamer (It Finally came February 19th but is a Disappointment to be described in a Separate post).
    It has been too Wet/Cool/Windy out to try my New sizing and Seating dies (my reloading 'shop' is my Back Patio).

Best Regards to all For this New Year, The Coming Primaries and National Elections give many "HOPE" for "CHANGE" again; this time correcting back toward Traditional American Values and Culture.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    More on The 'Truck Saga':
    Body side Moldings (four) = over $500 from Chrysler.
    Repair of the 'Broken Ignition Switch/Lock and Two new Keys = $1000+.
    Used Two Front Seats (take outs from a Dakota with the Power Adjustable Base and Lumbar support Adjustment) = $381 so far and still need repairs/reuplostry before they are usable as intended..

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 01-16-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I found this on another forum in a Thread Discussing POTENTIAL use of H110/WW296 in .38 Special +P load development and it is Very Good Background on ANY Slow Powder use in Developing Loads.
    "
    01-02-2016, 09:31 AM
    unclenick
    Super Moderator

The problem with H110/296 is, AFAIK, mainly just in revolvers. It turns out the bullet base tends to pass the chamber throat and expose the then still-low pressure to the barrel/cylinder gap before the the heavy outer deterrent coating has been burned through. That is apparently enough of a leak to bleed the pressure down to the point the load occasionally extinguishes, leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. If the next shot doesn't extinguish, which it usually doesn't, the obstruction can cause the gun to burst.

In carbines and single-shot handguns and other guns without a barrel/cylinder gap, as long as you get enough pressure to seal the chamber with the case, it behaves the same as any other slowish pistol powder does. There will be some lower limit (very small charges) where it can extinguish in such a gun, or it may do so when the bullet is too light for the burn rate. That can happen in rifles, too. I think maybe Mike G or one of the other moderators had a picture up some years ago of some fused 4831 that had extinguished in a rifle cartridge. Don't ask a powder to try to make gas fast enough to keep up with expansion that is too rapid for its burn rate.

In general, in a lower pressure application like 38 Special, even in a carbine, you'll find H110/296 doesn't burn very cleanly or completely and that you'll need to use more of it by weight to get the same velocity you can get from a more appropriate burn rate powder. If the gun is a revolver, I would not try it at all. When HP110 first came out, nobody knew about the extinguishing problem. That first appeared to have become known when Winchester followed suit by selling the same powder as 296 and recommending one fixed charge weight for each magnum handgun cartridge. Also, the extinguishing isn't very frequent, which can lull the user into a false sense of security using it in lighter loads. Finally, the burn rate used to be more variable from lot-to-lot. Hodgdon holds the powder burn rate to tighter standards now, so you don't know how much faster the lots tested for old manual data might have been. These three factors combined likely are the reason the old load manual information has been eliminated.

StretchNM likes this.

CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor"

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Benefactor Member
    "First contemplation of the problems of Interior Ballistics gives the impression that they should yield rather easily to relatively simple methods of analysis. Further study shows the subject to be of almost unbelievable complexity." Homer Powley

Boolit Master

Updates?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    The revolver and two of three Cylinders, the Barrel Blank, and two of three Chamber reamers are in the Hands of my gunsmith The Third Reamer is still "in Process" at PT&G and the Third cylinder is sitting here at home waiting for the reamer to come in the Mail.

My gunsmith is presently 'Swamped' as the Shop recently received a Large order of Parts to repair firearms already in the Shop. He has said my Projects are "in the Pile" and he will be working them as time permits but is not accepting any more work in the Shop this year until he gets things back under a reasonable time to repair estimate Backlog.

So I am Waiting.

My Replacement truck is getting pieces on order/on hand to upgrade it to the comfort/safety Levels of the first one. This includes getting parts and pieces to fit a power adjustable Driver's seat to this one; repairing a 'dented' front bumper cover; Running Boards; Body Side moldings; and a Heavy duty Transmission/Transfer case cooling Kit. Eventually I will probably replace the 'soft-roll up' Bed cover with a 'hard-folding' bed cover for more security.

I am still Waiting for 'title' papers for the Old Truck to arrive so I can Transfer the 'Disable person' license from it to my replacement truck. I am Still waiting for 'Registration' paper for my replacement truck also. It should list the Lien Holder on it along with myself as owner.
    I am hoping I can Transfer the License on my replacement truck to the old one so both trucks have Valid Licenses.

The Old truck will be repaired by a Friend and go through the "Hoops" to get it inspected and the 'salvage' designation removed from it's title. My friend has already begun collecting the Parts needed, he estimates about $7000.00 in parts will be needed and he will do much of the work himself, along with his son. This 2006 Dodge Dakota will become his 'Daily Driver' Truck and the Present 1993 Ford Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 will be put on standby and go through a rebuild. (The Rebuild of the 1993 Ford became a "Must Do" as the transmission Failed in it.
    The Repairs to my old 2006 Dodge Dakota are now Top Priority At the Moment so my friend Will Have a Driveable Truck in the Near term. Chev. William)

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    Today i got an Update from my gunsmith on the Revolver conversion Work.
    The Barrel blank has been reduced in diameter from about 1.1" to .69" on it way to .67" at the Tenon end and .6" at the Muzzle, over a 10-5/8" length.
    I am Still Waiting for PT&G to finish the .25 Stevens Long Rifle Match Chamber Reamer.
    The third Cylinder is on hand waiting for the chamber reamer.
    The other Two Cylinders are done.
    The Firing pin conversion is done.
    He estimates it wil be ready for Test Firing in the Last third of this month.
    Finishing will be done after Test firing is completed as the Bluing will be in a "Batch Lot" to reduce the Costs.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Set Back on The 2006 Dakota Repairs:
    The Driver door Replacement sold to my Friend as a 'Electric Equipped Replacement' turned out to be a Total MANUAL replacement; not even a wiring Harness in it other than for Speaker. NOT what My friend Paid in Advance for ($700 for an All Electric replacement when the Manual door is valued at $200).
    The 'Salvage Yard' is Now Hunting a Correct Replacement Door.

The 'Good News' is my friend found he also needs a Lower Hinge so he ordered one at the Same time.
    The "Bad News' is that this is another Delay before it is repaired to Drive.
    My friend has already replaced the Broken Steering Rack, lower Ball Joint and Tie Rods, the Front Bumper Support, and has temporarily 'hung' the New Front Fenders to check fits.
    Yesterday it Moved under its own Power again so things Are coming along on the Repairs.
    I have Been Providing transport for my friends with my Replacement truck of Late and last Week put over 400 miles on it! I have now driven it over 1600 miles since I Took Possession of the Replacement truck and I still don't have the Registration for it from The Dealer/Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

At least I am Learning the Driving characteristics of the Replacement, and the Differences between it and my ole one.
    Fuel Mileage in the Replacement seems to be better than that of the Old one even though the only difference in Equipment is the Wheel/Tire diameters.
    The old truck has LT265/70R17 Tires on 17x8 rims and Got 10-15 MPG depending upon cruses Speed.
    The Replacement Truck has LT265/70R16 Tires on 16x8 Rims and seems to get 12-18MPG over similar trips.
    Same Axle Ratios with smaller Tires means the Engine is turning faster at a given road speed, and Seems to burn less fuel in the process.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    That is true, Marshall. I have "LT" tires which are Stiffer construction overall than "P" Tires.

The Point of the mentions of the Tire size is the Rolling circumferences involved and their Effect on Engine speeds at the same Vehicle speeds. the '16 inch' tires have more revolutions per mile than the '17 inch' tires. Both trucks have the same Transmission and Axle Gear Ratio so it would seem a major part fo the difference is The 'lighter' loading on the Engine at a given vehicle speed.

Am I Mistaken?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Marshall,
    I have Already Learned that on one of my earlier cars. Back when I was Young and out of the Active Military Service I bought a New 1970 BMW 2002 and had 'custom steel wheels made for it using the BMW Centers and Corvair rims, which were an inch wider, set to an added 1/2 inch of offset. the result was a reduction in force at the Steering wheel when I went to 185/85R series from the Stock 165/85r series tires plus I was getting 21 to 23MPG on the Freeway Trips and 18 to 21 in local city driving. Handling o fthe Car seemed to Improve Also as the side 'roll' improved as well, I took the car out to Willow Springs Raceway and comfortably circulated at an average speed of 89MPH, Later on my Father and I took a Car trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco on I-5 primarily going up and Highway 1 and I-101 returning. at 65MPH on I-5 we got 23 and 24MPG. On the way Home my father drove from Monterrey to San Luis Obisbo on Highway 1 while I slept and he Averaged 61MPH on that leg very comfortably, getting 24MPG.
    My father was 78 at the time and usually drove about 53-56 on the Freeways in his cars.

A Very Enjoyable Trip for both of us as we attended a "Golden Gate Live Steamers" Meet on the trip.

My father passed on in 1984, and my Mother followed in 1998, so my memories are a Joy to me. The BMW was Vandalized in 2008 while I was Away on a Trip, they stripped the Engine, Transmission, and Interior out of it so I sold the remains for $200 Salvage. At the time I had over 374,000 miles of Happy Driving on it.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    For the Last week I have Been down with a "Cold", coughing up Flem, running Nose, but no apparent Temperature, Just Feeling Miserable.
    Friday, Feb. 19th, UPS 'delivered' my new PT&G Chamber reamer just inside my Front gate, I guess He was Intimidated by the "Beware of Dog" sign posted on it.
    I am Disappointed.
    It is NOT for a ".25 Stevens (Long) RF" cartridge!
    It IS a ".25-25 Stevens", a "Long Rifle" Cartridge of completely different character!

This is not what I wanted nor what I tried to order back in November 2015.
    I guess I believed both myself and the Order Taking Person at PT&G were talking in the Same Terms and discussing the CORRECT Cartridge to Order The Reamer while it seems I was Talking ".25 Stevens (Long) Rim Fire" the Order Taker was hearing ".25-25 Stevens Long Rifle" and did not Pick up that the one I wanted should make a Chamber about 1.150" deep instead of a 2.35+" deep one.

Now I have to wait for Monday, Feb. 22nd, to call PT&G and see What Can Be Done to Correct This Problem.
    I also will be telling my gunsmith that the waited for Reamer is the WRONG ONE to use to remake my Ruger 'Replacement Cylinder' to take ".25 Stevens (Long)/6.35x28.6mmSR" Cartridges.

Not a Total "Show Stopper" but a Deep Disappointment to me as it slows my progress on several projects that are 'in the works'.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

That's probly why Manson sends you a drawing with dimensions to verify before finalizing orders. On custom reamers anyway.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    This Saturday, February 27th, after Two Weeks of 'misery' the "Cold" let up so I took the third Cylinder in to my Gunsmith to begin its conversion to .250" Caliber from .22" Caliber. My gunsmith told me that my custom Barrel will be going out with a Batch of other items for Bluing soon and that the Firing Pin/Bushing is nearly completed for thsi CF conversion of a RF Ruger "Single Six".

My gunsmith also told me my Model 44 is nearing completion as he is in the final process of Fitting the CF firing pin.

Sunday I went with a Friend to recover a Used Food Preparation Unit about 12 feet long, 4 feet wide and four feet high made of Stainless steel (It IS Heavy). It took us about 1-1/2 hours to work i tout of the place it was and onto a dual axle Auto Trailer. the round trip was 153 miles and took the better part of the Day. We took my 'Silver Truck' and registered 12.4 MPG for the trip. The Bed of the truck was loaded with 'Equipment moving Skates, jack Stands, Jack, Tool Bags, Dunage and Tie down Straps to move and Secure the item. Seems like a fair performance for a trip through the Coastal Mountains here in Southern CA.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Today I learned my gunsmith is going to send my Custom Barrel out for Bluing process as part of a Batch Lot next week which means my Revolver is getting Close to Delivery.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

ADDED 20160325: Further delays as the Batch Lot of Bluing items did not go out as planned, now probably going out next week, might be back first week of April (???). I can Hope. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-08-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I am assuming the Silver truck is a V8? I own a Red Quad Cab 2001 Dakota 4X4, 5 speed with 3.9L V6 and 3.90 gears. Before I put the posi diff in the rear I could get over 20mpg on the highway but the diff lowered it to about 19mpg.
    I had LT tires on it but this last set are P but with more sidewall plies for heavier loads. Discount said they should work well for a pick up and they do. They are Cooper Discover mud & snow. I have had them on flood forest roads that where extremely muddy and they did not let me down.
    Your Single Six project is very interesting. I recently purchased one of the older SS with adjustable sights in 32 H&R mag. I was thinking of modifications I could do to it but it shoots so good I would hate to do that.
    I also have a SS that only had a 22LR for it when I bought it used. I later bought a 22 WMR cylinder at a gun show that fits it. I just got both out and the 22 LR cylinder will not go in the 32 frame, the 22 WMR will. This opens up possibilities for a low cost conversion of some sort. There is not alot of extra metal in the 32 cylinder to work with so it might not be practical unless I put a 22 cal barrel on it. A 22 Snapper, a shortened to 1.040" Hornet will fit in the cylinder. This was developed by Snaps gun shop for use in revolvers, mostly S&W and Colts. A max load with a 40gr bullet is around 1,900 fps which just about duplicates a 22WMR in a revolver but is reloadable.

Boolit Master
    Leadman,
    Yes, Both my 2006 Dodge Dakotas are 4.7L V8 engined. They both were built with 3.55:1 Axles and Air Conditioning to boot.
    The Silver Truck now has 'Disabled Person" plates on it as of Saturday: I inquired at the local AAA Auto club office that has DMV service and found the DMV had received the Change of Registration but not yet Sent the registration to me, so I traded in my 'Commercial Plates' for 'Disabled Person Commercial Plates' so I don't have to keep hanging and removing my Permanent Disabled Person Placard off the Mirror.
    Now I will need to make reinforcing Backer Aluminum Plates for them like i have on the Black Truck. Also my friend had been Driving the Black truck even though it still has a hole in one valve cover Dribbling oil. That will get fixed with his next Pay check, then he plans to have the Repairs painted professionally to match the "Black Crystal Metallic" original Paint.
    I finally received the Title For the Black Truck; it came marked "Salvage Net" and I will transfer it to my Friend when he pays me for the Truck. Presently he is driving it on his Insurance with me listed as an Insured person on his Insurance.

The Barrel for my SS conversion is supposed to go out for batch bluing this week so perhaps by the end of the month it will be back and the Revolver completed.

Your .32 SS thoughts look interesting but I believe it may be hard to find Cylinders to fit it suitable for alternative .32 Caliber Cartridges. Have you 'Slugged" your Barrel to find out what exactly its Bore and Groove dimensions are? My Stevens Barrels seem to measure between .304" and .308" Groove diameter for .32 Long Cartridge Chambers instead of the .311" to .315" of other .32 cartridges. It seems J. Stevens made his rifle barrels to the Tight End of the nominal range for Greater Accuracy with the Ammo Available in the Era. It seemed to work as his barrels had a Good Accuracy Reputation.

If your Barrel measures toward the "Tight End" of Barrel dimensions you will have more Selection options for possible Calibers in the .30-.32 range.

A possibility you might consider is to have cylinders made from Heat Treated 4140 Alloy Steel using Carbide tooling. Mill hardened Bar can be obtained so it is already at about RC 40 level; which should be good for revolver cylinders. Another possibility is "Stressproof" 1144 Alloy as it comes at about 100,000psi Yield Strength and can be heat treated to further Increase its Yield strength if needed.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

My truck has a/c also. Been ages since I have seen a non-a/c vehicle here in Az, other than the Bajas. I had a VW bus that I had a/c on it, had 2 condensers under the middle with electric fans on them. It was a 2 litter engine and the compressor was a small Tecumseh mounted with pulley facing forward towards the block. Was a real pain to change the belt as it went behind the engine fan shroud.
    My first Dakota was a 1988 single cab, long bed, 5 speed with a 3.9L V6 and 3.55 gears. I think a set of 3.90 would probably improve your fuel mileage. With the overdrive transmissions they are in a good power range so if you hit a little incline it takes very little throttle to maintain speed.
    My barrel is .312" which is not a problem but I hesitate to enlarge the holes in the cylinder to anything larger. Would probably need to have the custom cylinder made as you suggested to get it as large a diameter as possible. The Nagant revolver 7.62X38R brass could be blown out a little to make it a straight walled case with a bottleneck of slightly larger body diameter. Probably not worth the money to do this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    My truck has a/c also. Been ages since I have seen a non-a/c vehicle here in Az, other than the Bajas. I had a VW bus that I had a/c on it, had 2 condensers under the middle with electric fans on them. It was a 2 litter engine and the compressor was a small Tecumseh mounted with pulley facing forward towards the block. Was a real pain to change the belt as it went behind the engine fan shroud.
    My first Dakota was a 1988 single cab, long bed, 5 speed with a 3.9L V6 and 3.55 gears. I think a set of 3.90 would probably improve your fuel mileage. With the overdrive transmissions they are in a good power range so if you hit a little incline it takes very little throttle to maintain speed.
    My barrel is .312" which is not a problem but I hesitate to enlarge the holes in the cylinder to anything larger. Would probably need to have the custom cylinder made as you suggested to get it as large a diameter as possible. The Nagant revolver 7.62X38R brass could be blown out a little to make it a straight walled case with a bottleneck of slightly larger body diameter. Probably not worth the money to do this.
    .312" is right at .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag. Size. I believe it is also within useful range for .32 Short And Long Colt Cartridges, which have a smaller Body diameter, use a Heeled bullet so the Driving Bands of the bullet are about case body diameter.

IF You decide to make a New Cylinder and Replace the barrel on your revolver, then any combination of your choice, within the limits of the Frame Strength and Dimensions.

Costs, of course are for you to decide about.

Good Luck and let us know of your progress.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I had a Work Call for Thursday, 3-24-2016, that may be the beginning of a Week of Work. Yea!

Chev. William

Boolit Master

SORRY, but I do not understand Work Call?
    What is a Work Call?

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-27-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast