Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Today, Saturday, the California Purchase Waiting Period Runs out on My Used Ruger .22 Cal. "Single Six" Donor Revolver. So About Noon I will be going to the Gun Shop to "take Possession' and then hand it, and two Replacement Cylinders and a Reamer, back to them to convert it to CF, AND ".25ACP, .250ALRM, and .6.35x28.6mmSR" Interchangeably, with a New 10-5/8" barrel cut from a "Lothar Walther" .25ACP/6.35 Browning C-M Barrel Blank.
    I also have coming a third cylinder for the Third Cartridge and also ordered a ".25 Stevens Long Rifle Finishing Reamer" from PT&G to do the Third Cylinders' Chambers.
    I am looking forward to taking this 8-shot 'sixshooter' to the range when it is done.

The .25ACP I expect to Yield around 1000fps and is intended to be a 'Standard Comparison Loading' for other Cartridges.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

ADDED 20151206: Yesterday at about Noon PST I was involved in a Six Vehicle Freeway Accident. Truck I was driving is Damaged, but I am not. I did get delayed Past the closing time of The Gun shop so I did not yet 'take Possession' of the Used Ruger. I therefore Quote a Generally Used Golfing Statement: "AW S**T!" Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-06-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tuesday, December 8th, I 'took Possession' of my Fresh purchased Ruger .22 Cal. Single Six and Immediately turned it over to American Gun Works gunsmith Willie Clark to Fit a new 10-5/8 inch .25ACP/6.35 Browning Barrel and multiple 8-Shot Cylinders (chambered in: .25ACP; .250ALRM; and .25 Stevens (Long Rifle ?) with Conversion to Center Fire And a pair of replacement 'Hand' parts to fit so the Cylinders with index properly.

Willie also showed me the Progress on my Modified Stevens 44 Action Fitted with a Stainless Steel take off .308 Barrel shortened and chambered in .32 Long Colt, with a "Floating Barrel" Sleeve on it. It is getting close as he is in the Process of Finishing the .32 Extractor for it.

Once Willie is done with the Stevens 44, I will order a Bench Rest Forestock to fit the Sleeve and roughly match the Grain in the CPA 'Bench Rest' Buttstock I have for it.

I also have a '25.R.F.' barrel for this Action to use in Load testing of .250AlRM, 6.35x32mmSR, and 6.35x28.6mmSR loads.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Master

Pleased you were not injured, and that progress continues
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Thank you for your Kind Words.
    I was Only shook up, Saddened, and bruised some. No Air Bags Deployed in any Vehicle involved. My Truck, A "Gift" from my Late Wife as a Late Birthday Present that I got to Pay the Loan on, was Very Comfortable and Very Useful to me. Now it sits, crumpled on Both Front Corners and with a 'Broken Front Leg', in my Driveway waiting for the Insurance company to Decide What It Is 'Worth' now. Kelly Blue Book and Carfax web sites say it was worth between a Low of $12,900 (Private Sale) and a High of $15,900 (Dealer retail Sale) and I had about $3,300 Left to pay on the Loan.

I am Reminded of the WW2 Cartoon of The Army "Dogface" standing near the Front of his Wrecked Jeep holding his M1911 pointed toward the Radiator preparing to give it the "Dispatching Shot" for a Terminally Injured Mount.

I WILL be Keeping the Undamaged "Disabled Person" License plates (Freshly Renewed last month) to put on whatever I get to Replace it with.

Now Starts the Frustrating Search and Negotiations for a Replacement with similar capabilities: 4x4, Quad Cab, Individual Power Front Seats, 5-1/2 foot Bed, Locking Tailgate and folding Bed cover, Full Bed Liner, Trailer Towing Package with Heavy Duty Cooling system to handle full load uphill Tows in Hot Summer Weather with the Air Conditioning working, AM-FM Stereo Four sound channel Radio with CD playing capability, Running boards, and Passenger Assist Handles, and about 3,500-5,000 pound minimum Towing/Payload Capacity.

This one felt like a "long distance traveler pacing horse" is described on literature, very easy riding and comfortable for long distance/time "in the saddle" but with the 'heart' and 'strength' to carry a Medium Heavy load if needed.

This one was a Dodge 2006 Dakota Quad Cab SLT Night Runner 4.7L 4x4 Bought Used with 40,000 miles on it and Now has 73,400 miles. Made many Round trips from San Fernando Valley to Antelope Valley hauling Things and People. But Not Used for Daily "work" ride, as I have a 1986 Dodge Ram 50 "Royal" I use for that, with my "Tool Kit" in the Back Shell. Something like a Very Reliable Little "Mustang horse" that has been with me a Long Time and is 'well trained' and a comfortable mount.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Perma-Banned

This sound great. I have wanted to do a bearcat conversion to 32 mag for awhile myself but things keep getting in the way.

Boolit Master
    When i was in the Gun Shop November 25th to finalize The Purchase of the donor revolver, Willie Clark brought out one he was finishing up for another customer in .17MRF with a 14 inch Barrel Case Colored frame; Blued Cylinder and Barrel; with Dark wood grips. It was a beautiful Piece.
    Mine is Blued and is Used/Serviceable but clean as a Consignment sale from a Glendale PD person.
    Perhaps this will Get you started on Your Project?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-13-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Spent Saturday Looking at Trucks to replace my damaged Dakota with little luck so far.
    Out of seven Trucks looked at only one, a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, was reasonable in both Price and Condition/features. It is from "Snow States" and shows some underbelly evidence of the road salt use. in addition it has a 5.7L V-8 in it and has some 'minor' tail gate top dinging and rear Bed top corner dings from use without a Bed liner. otherwise it is usable and has a comfortable driving seat, did not try other seating myself. the Asking price is right at what the Insurance co. is offering for my Dakota so I would have to add some for Taxes and transfer fees. I don't know how the Greater years of use and greater mileage on this candidate would affect my Insurance rates or Maintenance costs in the future yet. The 5.7L engine may bring greater fuel costs though.
    I will Be looking into it further on the internet to see if there is 'more History to it than presently known to me'.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-19-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Interesting thread.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    "Off and on" looking on the Internet for Replacement(s) for my damaged 2006 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 4x4 SLT 'Night Runner' but so far No Luck.
    There are A Few on the Right Coast or Midwest but not well Documented and of Even older vintage and Higher Mileage ( mine has 73,500 miles ).
    Numerous V6 types with Smaller Cabs up for sale though.

My gunsmith informed me that he does not expect to get to any of my Projects until after the First of the New Year due to pressing high priority work to be done, so No 'Christmas Toys' for me this year.

A Past weekend Wind storm 'Shredded' my Patio Canvas cover so I need to Get another one up before a forecast rain this weekend, 'Bah Humbug' for the Problem of getting the replacement in time and getting it erected ahead of the rain.

It seems "Global Warming" is providing a Cool and confused Weather Pattern to Southern California this month, plus the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power is Proposing higher Water rates as consumers have been conserving so well due to the drought, the revenue Stream is dropping! Get us users if we Don't conserve and get us if we Do Conserve. Plus the rate hikes are NOT rolled back in times of plentiful water availability.
    It seems the City is "Skimming off the Funds" from the City owned "Non-Profit" utility.

Oh well, I guess that is 'Just Politicians Doing Their Thing' again.

May everyone have A Safe, Enjoyable Merry Christmas And Happy New Year.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Added Sunday: Saturday Afternoon some Friends helped me with the Patio Canvas Replacement so it is up. Saturday late Afternoon it started Raining here and lasted into the Night so the Canvas was up 'Just in Time'. Found a Possible Replacement truck on Line within Reasonable distance, now to Research it to see if It is Really a Close Match or just a Poor Dream. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-22-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Today Dawned Cool but clear And bright, Fitting for the Observed Anniversary of the Birth of Jesus Christ.
    Yesterday brought me some "Goodies" that had been on Order for a Time:
    A Lee Custom "6.35x32mmSR" Dead Seating Die (no Crimp Provision) with a Spire Point Bullet seating "punch" in it.
    A Lee Custom "opened" Carbide ring .25ACP Sizing die that is .284" in Diameter to use as an intermediate forming die in making 5.7x28mm cases into 6.35x32mmSR cases, and of course Into 6.35x28.6mmSR cases eventually.
    Also some "tooling" to use on Lathes, with replaceable Carbide Cutting tips.

All in All a pleasant Christmas Eve Delivery by The USPS.

Merry Christmas To ALL!
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    December 26th a friend and I went to Look over a Potential Replacement for my Damaged Truck and it turned out to be as close as I have found to mine offered for sale.
    It is a Silver 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 4x4 Short Bed with 0644xx Miles on the Odometer. The "Carfax Report" indicated that it has the Air Bag Recall outstanding and was fitted with Four new Tires by the Dealership (Scott Robinson Honda of Torrance, CA) on 12/11/2015 before putting it up for sale.
    Ended the Day Driving it home so this week I will be looking into bringing it "up to Standards" and "applying for Credit Union Loan" to complete the Purchase.
    - Already Checked with 'Chrysler Recall Center' and they confirmed the Air bag recall is only outstanding Recall on the Vehicle, and that the Dealer I used to service my old Truck has "95 Parts kits" on hand to do the Recall work. Work Scheduled for 20160104 AM at Dealer. WJS Completed.
    I also am trying to get copy of Tire info from The Dealer but need to wait until the Sales force comes in Today, I guess I should have asked for the 'Tire Purchase Paperwork' when I was there Saturday evening.
    Other things to be added to bring it up to my Use Standards:
    - Running Boards for easier entry and exit.
    Bidding on a Kit on EBAy: it closes in four days. WJS Won, Received, and on hand to be installed when Time and Weather permits.
    - Solar Panel Battery Maintainer to keep Battery up, as I don't drive my trucks daily. !.5 Watt panel on Hand and 2.5 watt panel on order. WJS 2.5 watt Solar Panel installed in new truck (via Springy brackets against lower center windshield).
    - Change out the Safety Related lamp globes for new (Head/Fog/marker/Tail-Stop-Turn/Backup).
    - Get Headlight Lenses Cleaned/Polished/replaced to improve Visibility at night ( they are Presently 'fogged up' from Sun Exposure. Done (Polished up nicely) 20151228. WJS
    - Go by my preferred Tire Dealer and ask them to check the Tire's Coding to verify data and age of the "New Tires". Done, they were Molded 16th wk of 2015. WJS
    - Get Speedometer Calibration Checked as the Tire size on the truck is not the Size Delivered with it when new. This Truck is outfitted with an electronic Odometer so it needs to have a dealer insert the correct tire size code to register Speed and Miles correctly. Speedo. Shop closed for Holidays. WJS
    I already informed my Insurance Carrier of the Purchase and it is on My Insurance before I left the Dealership.
    - I will have a "Vehicle Mileage and Service Record Book" started before I drive it further today (a habit my Late Wife instilled in me for 'Tax Purposes', even though it will be only for the Last few days of this year and a second one will be started fro next year. Done WJS

All in all an eventful weekend and coming week.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Also: Today I had my maintenance Receipts for the Damaged truck faxed to the Claims Adjuster; Applied for a 5 year Loan through my Credit Union. Had the Truck Washed and Paste waxed. Stopped by my Niece's Home to do a "Show and Tell" of my replacement truck and get a Solid Hug from my niece for the Accident and loss of my old truck. WJS 20151228
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-08-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the new wheels

Boolit Master
    Further on the replacement truck:
    it came with fittings and wiring for towing behind an RV. That means it has the Two sockets in front for a removable "Y" tow bar assembly, the provision for a "Breakaway Brake application" and Tow lighting wiring. The Brake additions include a Vacuum Pump, large Solenoid and cabling to attach it to the Brake Pedal, wiring, sensors and control modules.
    It appears that the installed extras have a value of about $1500 to add to the Truck's basic value.
    Today my Friend and I did some "installations" of my own.
    - I had a temporary 1.5 watt Solar panel module suction cup mounted to the Windshield glass to help the Battery "keep alive" with the computer drains, clock, and Radio memories. The final 2.5 watt Panel is now installed usi9ng a pair of Springy brackets to hold it firmly against the Inside lower center area of the windshield so it will work with an inside Winshield cover in place.
    - The Truck now has some light "D" rings mounted via #10 Screws to the Tailgate inside top edge and the two bed rear corners. These are to hold a "Spider Net"s hooks along the Rear edge of the Net, I can attach the Side hooks on the Mounts for the Tonneu Cover and along the Side rails of the Bed.
    - Running Boards are planned and a 'Bug deflector' on the Hood front edge.

No work is being done on my revolver project as my gunsmith is away for the Holidays.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    January 1st, 2016 Dawned Clear and Sunny here in Southern California and I spent the morning watching The Tournament of Roses Parade in KTLA, Channel 5 in Los Angeles, sort of a tradition as it has been done since we moved into this Home, first with my Parents and Brother and now by my two dogs and myself.
    The New Year, 2016 is Here!
    May All Enjoy what it brings for the Remainder of its 364 Days.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Leap year this year
    Happy New Year,
    May your new truck and new firearms conversions bring you great joy!!
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 01-01-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yup, 2016 is evenly dividable by 4 so This year has a "February 29th in it. Once again some Kids will be born on that day and thereafter will be told they only get a "Birthday" Anniversary once every four years. They will celebrate the Rest of the Years either Early or Late but at least they Won't be like kids born on December 25th, who never get a separate "Birthday Celebration".
    Just think, they get a National Holiday and almost everyone in the World joins in the Celebration, A really Joyous Occasion.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:01 AM.

How about .22 Hornet brass sized to .278" and turned down to match at the head = straight wall .25, you choose the length.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Yes I have done that. The New PPU Brass, at about $32.00 a Hundred empty cases formed in One Step down to the rim through a Stock .25ACP Carbide ring sizing die yield about 95% successfully formed .276" diameter cases. These then need the Rim Thinned (to .050") and the flash hole opened to .078" again.
    This results in a basic ".250ALRx" case of 1.380" length that I had to trim down to the other usable lengths I needed: .750", .875", 1.000", 1.055", 1.125", 1.250", 1.260", and 1.350" for my experiments. These were expanded through the Neck/Shoulder before Swaging down.

My RCBS "RC" press With its longer "Ammomaster II" handle required me to stand up and use both arms to do the swage step, putting nearly my full body weight on the end of the handle to get a smooth singe motion cycle.

The Three Step Swaging process for the 5.7x28mm brass is doable sitting and using one arm on the Press handle but it still requires using a Punch and hammer to extract the Formed case at each Step.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    By the way, I have used the Same process to reform .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag./.327 Fed. Mag. cases into sizes suitable for .32 Long Colt/.32 Extra Long and Similar Obsolete cases. I have formed .32 in lengths from .32 Extra Short (at .395") to .32 Extra Long and .32 Extended Length cases (up to 1.200").

the Basic Process And tools have been posted as part of the thread:
    reloadable .32 rimfire brass

On this Forum web site. There is a LOT of information on the process and experiments with various loads on that thread.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Good News for my Replacement Truck purchase. My Used Vehicle Loan was approved by my Credit Union, and Tomorrow I will be delivering the Cashier's Check to the Dealer.
    I already Have Insurance on it, with $250.00 Deductible, Now to transfer my "Disabled Person" Plates to it from my old Truck.

I hope to Transfer the Plates on the Replacement Truck (commercial Truck) to the old Truck at the same time.

The old truck will be bought and repaired by a Friend at his request, He feels i twill b ea Good Investment for him to replace his present Truck, a 1998 Long bed Crew cab 4x4 with something newer and more maneuverable. He has already been Pricing parts and it seems about $7000.00 in parts will restore it to Roadworthy condition, with him providing the Labor.
    Yes, it will initially have a"Salvage" title but he knows the procedure for getting that resolved once it is repaired.

Also today I went to see the Latest "Star Wars" Movie - Very Impressive Visuals and a LONG detailed Credits listing. It seems The CGI portions took More People to produce than the Live Action Shots!
    I liked it.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast