Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

Boolit Master

Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

On November 25th I started the Process of converting A Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' Revolver to chamber and fire .25ACP and 6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

I already had a 'replacement 8-Shot .22WMR Cylinder' (purchased from Numerich Arms) reamed and chambered in .25ACP to see if it was Feasible. The .25ACP is .276" body diameter compared to .22 WMR's .242" body diameter.
    It turned out the "Ruger" Rim Rebate is large enough to fit both a .25ACP rim at .304" and a 6.35x28.6mmSR rim at .314".
    The cylinder measures 1.405" in length at the Chamber center Line, from 'Breech face to front of Cylinder Face, ignoring the Ratchet and front 'bush' extensions.

On the 25th I completed Purchase Arrangements (in California) for a Ruger .22 Caliber Single Six fitted with a roughly 6" plus barrel, Beginning the 10 day Waiting Period for delivery.
    I also Dropped off a 'horded' Lothar Walther ".25ACP/6.35 Browning" C-M Barrel blank about 1.1 inches in diameter and 23.6 inches in length, having a one turn in 9.4 inch twist rate 6 groove rifling. "American Gun Works" in Glendale, CA is doing the conversion work. The Ordered Barrel will be 10-5/8 inch long. forcing cone to muzzle so the 'overall SAAMI length is about 12 inches, when the Cylinder length is included.
    Also I ordered a Second Cylinder from Numerich Arms, for reaming to 6.35x28.6mmSR chamber Dimensions and eventual fitting as an interchangeable Cylinder in this Project Revolver.

During the ten day waiting period my gunsmith intends to cut a 12 inch 'Blank' from my LW Blank; then begin the Contour turning between Centers to reduce the 1.1 inch to near final diameters. As he has on hand a "Take off" Ruger Barrel, he can turn the Barrel blank to near final Tenon dimensions also.

Work that will need to wait until the Revolver is Delivered to me includes:
    - Removal of Existing .22 Cal. barrel.
    - Dismounting of Barrel mounted front sight for transfer to my New barrel.
    - Dismounting of the unloading rod, housing and mechanism to fit to my new barrel.
    - Fitting and timing a new Pawl to index the 8-shot Cylinders.
    - Fitting Both cylinders to the Action.
    - Fitting the New Barrel to the action.
    - Installing The front sight on the New Barrel.
    - Other Miscellaneous finishing work.

Eventually I will have a rather Unique Revolver, for both 'plinking' and 'Target' shooting, in two Cartridges of little General use in Revolvers.

This will go with some other "unique" firearms:
    - A Stevens Favorite converted to Center Fire and fitted with a Stevens ".25 Stevens" Barrel which can chamber both of the cartridges in plan.
    - A Stevens Model 44 Converted to Center fire and having both a Stevens "25.R.F." Barrel with chamber reamed to ".250ALRM" and a Stainless Steel ".32 Long Colt" barrel.
    - An Iver Johnson Revolver in .32 Long Colt (also being reworked by AGW).

(Cartridge Cases That is.)

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-26-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: set Notification(s), correct typos.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I look forward to your progress reports. I very much enjoy reading your musings and aside from my interests being more in the .32 calibers, our objectives share some commonality.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the Support, I am "playing" in 'low end Cartridge sizes' mostly for enjoyment in my 'Retirement' as I can do it at short Ranges and at relatively low costs.

.32 Extra Long and the Similar 'shorter Case Lengths' are also within my Interest and 'pocket book' at least as far as Stevens Rifles of 'Shooter' value rather than 'Collector' value.
    My current Shooting Range is about 100 Yards, due to age and disabilities.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-26-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Any issue in converting from rimfire to centerfire?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    According to Willie Clark, the Gunsmith in charge of this project, no; just a new Bushing and firing pin when the Time is right (Drat the California Ten day Waiting period).

Just for Information:
    The LW barrel was bought last year at about $200.00 including shipping.
    The Cylinder and Hand from Numerich arms for about $165.00 including shipping.
    The donor revolver is costing $389.23 through American Gun Works.
    Case Reforming tools have added about $200.00 so far to my Tool Inventory costs.
    Cases are running about $80 per 1000 Once Fired 5.7x28mm, including shipping.
    Primers so far are WSP, Powder so far is Bullseye from a one pound Canister.
    Charges are running less than 2 grains so far so that 7000 grain canister is going to go a long way.
    Bullets are either Cast Lead or Jacketed, some Resized to .250" diameter, some already at .250"-.251" diameters.

All in all, so far an inexpensive Experimental project; just what my 'Retirement' likes.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-26-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Watching this with great interest.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    ^ me too!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Same here,this would be a fun project
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Don't forget about the pics Chev. Some of us need to see what you've got going LOL!

Boolit Bub
    I wonder if a 6 shot model could be reamed for 5.7 x 28.

Boolit Master
    Thinking:
    The Rim rebate in The Cylinder is probably about .314" so IF that would give enough Web, both Between Chambers AND between Chamber and Cylinder OD, to Support the 50,000psi MAP + roughly 18 percent upper limit range of Commercial Cartridge Loading compared to the approximately 25,000psi MAP of the .22WMR Cartridge.

The .22WMR is listed as having a .242" case body diameter and rim diameter of .294" and the Compatible .22WRF has a listed body diameter of .243" and a rim diameter of.295": my 'reproduction cylinder has Rim rebates of .315" measured with a Dial Caliper. The web between Rim rebate and Cylinder OD measures .080" and the web between Rebates measures about .057" so someone will nee dto do the Math to see if the 1144 Alloy Steel this is made of is capable of handling the Stress with a Proper Safety Margin.

Then there is the point that the 5.7x28mm Cartridge is a RIMLESS design so would need something like a "Moon Clip" or similar like was used to fire .45ACP rounds in a Revolver.
    Also How would you Prevent the Case from Moving Back in the Chamber due to Thrust against the 'Shoulder'? Reportedly 5.7x28mm Chambered Rifles and Pistols do have a Problem with case "growing" in length at firing (Shoulder moving Forward on the Case).

Only an Engineering analysis of the proposed installation would be able to validate its Viability prior to Testing .

However: with that said, Starting with a Larger Frame Revolver, say one designed for .44 Magnum, and then Machining a custom Cylinder which would have a larger OD and more Web between Chambers at the 5.7x28mm cartridge dimensions may be more viable.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    For Relaxation before Going to Bed Early To Get up at 0300 to be at a Work Call before 0600 Tuesday Morning, I checked out Pacific Tool And Gauge Web site.
    I Found Listings for the ".25 Stevens" and ".25 Stevens Long Rifle" Chamber Reamers.
    so I placed an Order Monday night for a Finishing "Match Grade" .25 Stevens Long Rifle Chamber Reamer. Tuesday Morning I called PT&G and Verified that it is for the ".25 Stevens (Long) RF" Cartridge Chamber.
    Beautiful, now I will have a Reamer to make Chambers to take my 6.35x28.6mmSR also as it is the same body diameter And Case Length, and the Rim is Smaller diameter than the Stevens one.

Thank You PT&G For Listing Reamers for These Cartridges.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Neat! That's good to know.

-Nobade

At present working on a .25 Hornet (shortened) on a a Colt officer's frame/cyl.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Are yo uthe one who did the 1903 Winchester in 25 acp? If so, how did it turn out? This project you're into now looks to be intersting also!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very interesting! I sure look forward to hearing more about how it is going and to see photos! You know . . we all love photos!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajjohns View Post
    Are yo uthe one who did the 1903 Winchester in 25 acp? If so, how did it turn out? This project you're into now looks to be intersting also!
    No, I Don't own a Win !903 so the party you are thinking of is someone else.
    I do Know "Crank" has done some Conversions so maybe it was he?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    At present working on a .25 Hornet (shortened) on a a Colt officer's frame/cyl.
    Sounds Interesting. Are you planning to use .25ACP size Bullets or are you Planning to use .257 diameter Bullets?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.

.257 diameter. Nothing to see yet. Found a cheap (ya right) .22 cyl, and bought a Manson reamer. Shorten cases by .200 to fit cylinder. Got a 1 in 14 .258 barrel. I plan to make the revolver and a stub barrel for a contender to same chamber.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    .257 diameter. Nothing to see yet. Found a cheap (ya right) .22 cyl, and bought a Manson reamer. Shorten cases by .200 to fit cylinder. Got a 1 in 14 .258 barrel. I plan to make the revolver and a stub barrel for a contender to same chamber.
    Have You "Slugged" your Barrel and measured it yet?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast