Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Converting a Ruger .22WMR 'Single Six' to .25ACP/6.35x28.6mmSR Cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Further thoughts and comments on "the first Range results with a chronograph" post of August 17th post:

A. The Comparison of "Published Technical Specifications" of factory .25ACP, which are Based upon testing Using a 2" long Barrel, and the chronograph Results of firing in a Revolver with a 10-5/8" barrel hint that the loss from the Cylinder Gap venting may result performance similarity between the Two conditions as the Percentage difference seems to be less than the Expected Variations between Factory Ammunition Lots.

B. The reported "hand load #1" (2.7 grains of Power Pistol and 50 grain FMJ bullet) seems to hint at a 7.6% drop between Calculated and Measured Performance. This is Probably due to the "QuickLOAD" software apparently not having an adjustment for loss from the Cylinder gap. Perhaps using 11" for the Barrel length instead of 12" would mostly compensate for the Gap 'error'?

C. The reported Hand load(s) #2 (Various ladder Bullseye charge weights and 63 grain Lead bullets) appear to indicate a gain in velocity for the Actual performance ranging up to about +15% in one case (nominal 1.43 grain charge) and ranging down to a low of -0.85% (nominal 1.53 grain charge). Perhaps the difference between FMJ and Lead bullets filing of the Cylinder Throat, Throat to Forcing Cone, and final Barrel dimensions is in play here.

D. The Ladder Sequence seems to indicate a charge of Bullseye of around 1.77 or 1.80 grains yields the most uniform velocities measured (ES of 60 and 54 fps respectively) with this bullet in this Case size.

E. However, there is still the Problems I have in Accurately measuring charges weights at 0.01 grain interpolations of these low charge Weights (under 2.0 grains total weight). Normal procedures to measure small weights is to use a Scale with a resolution at least four times Finer than the the weight increment desired. in this case 0.01 grain accuracy would indicate a needed Resolution of .0025 grains or Finer.

F. For the time being (last two weeks of August) I am not able to do any more testing due to the Chronograph Screens needing replacements; which need to be ordered when I again have some Discretionary Spending funds available.

Perhaps I will be able to proceed in September, but that is 'Iffy" as I have Fresh Bills that will again come due in September that were not needed in July or August (example: House Earthquake and Liability Insurance renewals).

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Correct Punctuation and Typing errors.

Boolit Master
    I now have my replacement Sky Screen Parts but have delayed scheduling a trip to the range as i am still loading some new "Ladder Sets for the testing".

Additionally, today I paid for a Used Ruger New Model .32 H&R Magnum Single Six with a 5-5/8" barrel. It will come with a Holster as part of the consignment Sale. Now I need to Wait out the ten day State Imposed waiting period before I can Take Possession.

I have already had conversations with my Gunsmith about adapting a Cylinder to allow Shooting .32 Long Colt Cartridges in it (of .930" length and using Heeled Bullets).
    This is NOT the S&W diameters!
    This IS the smaller Colt diameter Cases.
    My intent is to be able to Interchange Cylinders for the two sizes of case diameters and use the same barrel for Both.

Since Ruger informs me that they DO NOT do custom changes to Cartridge nor calibers, this will be a 'exercise in Custom Gunsmithing' for my gunsmith and myself.

A. We believe we Can adapt a .22WMR Six shot Cylinder to fit the .32 H&R frame.
    B. We believe we will need to machine the Cylinder rear side to adapt it to the .32 LC Cartridge.
    C. We believe we may need to machine the FRONT of the .32 H&R Cylinder to match the other cylinder so the Forcing Cone can be made to work with both.
    D. The revolver will also need some machining on the Barrel to get it to fit Both cylinders. Possibly setting it back and re-cutting the Forcing Cone.

I also Dropped off my third .22WMR 8-shot Cylinder along with Two reamers to chamber it for ".25ALS/6.35x28.6mmSR" but with the Rim rebates opened to take thinned (to .050" thick nominal) Hornet Rims of .348"-.350" Diameter.

Also i confirmed my order at PT&G for my .25 Magnum Auto Finishing chamber reamer.
    This is a .25ACP Diameter Cases of 1.055" case Length. they estimate a few weeks wait yet.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Found out that the 6.35x28.6mmSR Reamers I bought are Resizing Reamers intended to cut Undersize for later Reaming with A Finish Chamber Reamer to final size.

Monday, just before the First Presidential Debate, I received my New ".25 Magnum Auto Finish Chamber Reamer". This is Similar to 6.35x26mmSR cartridge also. I will Verify the dimensions later.

The New PTG ".25 Magnum Auto. FIN Reamer does cut a usable Chamber, i made a "dummy chamber in a Blank die body i had on hand.
    The Reamer, along with a Rim counterbore Tool to fit the .22 Hornet Parent Rim diameter, my Dummy chamber, and a Replacement 8-Shot Ruger .22-MAG Cylinder for Rework went to My gunsmith and are in his line to get done.

In the same Batch, I took a .32 LC Finish chamber reamer and a Used .22LR Ruger 6-Shot to be re-cut in .32 LC; I am talking the OLD Colt Cartridge of .318" body diameter. This will be reviewed to see if I like the Chambers then, if Acceptable, be Reworked to fit a .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single Six I recently Acquired as A Used Revolver Purchase.

Today I placed Orders with PT&G to get a "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart" Replaceable Pilot Finish Chamber Reamer, Two .25 Cal. Pilot Drilled Blank Die Bodies, Two .30 Cal. Pilot Drilled Blank die bodies. and sets of Bushings for .25 Cal. and .30 Cal. to use in reaming the Die Bodies.

Now I Wait. Patiently I Hope.

Best Results,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    RE: the .32 LC cylinder project; I 'switched' cylinders with my gunsmith before he started cutting. the Current .32 LC project cylinder is a used .22-Mag.Stainless steel one.

The Used Blued Steel .22 LR Cylinder will be re-cut to .32 Automatic sizes, keeping the "S&W family" Cylinders all blued and making the "Colt family" Cylinders from and in Stainless Steel 'white' to Visually differentiate them.

This projected .32 Auto cylinder will have a throat suitable for the Factory Loaded bullets and will be a short 'smooth bore' segment before the bullets transition to the forcing cone of the actual barrel.

If these two cylinders turn out Good, then I will consider having the Revolver and original cylinder reworked to make all three, and possible other future cylinders, Interchangeable in the Frame/Barrel combination.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

PS: Revolver Cylinders apper to be made with None-Tapered,or Straight Cylinder, Chambers insted of the Tapered ones used Semi-auto. pistols and Rifles. so this is what I hope to have done to my experimental cylinders. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-16-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    It seems the Project items at my Gunsmith will be on "Hold" until very Late November as my gunsmith is starting a three week Movie Location Shoot Job after Friday.

At least he will be getting Good Pay for the three weeks.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith is back in the shop since last Friday but has to work down the backlog before accepting more work or doing anything on my "back burner low cost" projects.

i did receive the PT&G "Premium 6.32x28.5mmSR Finish Chamber Reamer" and will take in. when his backlog is down some, along with a .22-Mag 8-shot cylinder to be bored and chambered with it. This will be Called my "Number Three cylinder" to fit in my series of .25 Caliber 8-shot cylinders for my Ruger Single Eight Revolver.

To Recap:
    "Number One" is the .25ACP cylinder with the 'Semi-Auto' chambers.
    "Number Two" is the .25Magnum Auto (1.055" cases).
    "Number Four" is the .250ALRM (1.250" cases).
    and a Projected "Number Five" will be a .25ACP with Straight Cylinder, rather than Tapered,
    Chambers. This is an experiment to see if it yields better fired case shapes. the current tapered chambers yield a Ring bulged case near the Web to Wall junction.

End of year bills and a Failed Refrigerator that needed a new replacement have curtailed none necessary Spending the last two months and may Continue for the next two months also.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    This Thread's Subject is carried forward in two separate threads on This forum:
    - First one on "My Ruger Single Eight in .25ACP . . .".
    and
    - Second one on "My Ruger Single six in .32 . . ." .
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Edited for Better reading.

Boolit Master
    My Handgun experiments / Projects have expanded again:
    = First is "my Ruger Single Eight in .25ACP" and similar wildcats.
    = Second is "My Ruger Single Six in .32H&R" and .32 Long Colt and similar Cartridges.
    = Third is 'converting a Ruger .22LR Standard Auto Pistol to .25ACP'.
    = There are others in planning but must await funds currently not available' Also Rifle projects already started but hanging up with my gunsmith not having available time to work in them.
    Chev. William

I'm to old to mess with it but I always thought a Ruger auto converted to 32acp would be a good project. I had a High Standard 380 that was similar to a HD Mil 22. It shot well and I was always going to put adj sights on it but
    ended up trading it. The jump from 22 to 38 is pretty drastic for guys that want a little more in a field pistol than a 22 but don't need a 38sp.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I'm to old to mess with it but I always thought a Ruger auto converted to 32acp would be a good project. I had a High Standard 380 that was similar to a HD Mil 22. It shot well and I was always going to put adj sights on it but
    ended up trading it. The jump from 22 to 38 is pretty drastic for guys that want a little more in a field pistol than a 22 but don't need a 38sp.
    I seem to recall an old article where the author converted a Ruger Mark I to 32 S&W long for wadcutter ammunition. He had to add a weight to the back end of the bolt to provide enough mass.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    It is The Day After Easter, 2019, And I am patiently waiting for my gunsmith to get time to work on completing my last two custom 8-shot cylinder Modifications.
    These are the ones for .25ACP and .25ALR with the 'Tight' chamber diameters to avoid the annular Bulge on fired cases.

The weather around here is getting "Better' now since the Winter Storms have past and winds are beginning to drop again. I did get 500 ea once fired .25ACP cases cleaned and decapped in preparation for inspection, sizing, and reloading.
    The Majority, about 250, are marked "R-P" with the remainder in several markings including PPU, AGUILA, G.F.L., WIN, W-W, CBC, FC, HORNADY and even two marked HRTRS.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Friday, April 26th and I now have about 975 .25ACP once fired Brass from "Diamond K" that I have Tumbled to clean range dirt off of and then decapped and sorted by head stamp.
    This is all "Diamond K' had in stock this month.
    The Majority are R-P (about 500) followed By Aguila (about 120), WIN (about 80), PPU( about 70) and a mix of other Head stamps.
    Most seem, based on sample measurements, seem to be mouth expanded to about .282" diameter with the web/bases measuring about .278".
    I attribute this to the taper in Semi-Automatic Pistol chambers and the Blow-back action design. I found there is also a Slight Annular Bulge in the Wall just ahead of the Web.
    It appear that I will need to run All the Cases through a ,25ACP sizing die up to the Rim to restore them to useful shape and size.
    I believe I have, or at least had one sizing die that will bring them to .2775" diameter; which will allow me to shoot them in my Revolver or Pistol without so much enlargement upon firing; as my Chambers are .2795" parallel wall.

Chev. William

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456