Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: May Have Purchased Last Deer Call

Boolit Master

May Have Purchased Last Deer Call

I may have purchased my last deer call. It seems that I am constantly banging them on something in the stand, losing them or they freeze up, and become frustrated by watching deer ignore them or worse spook.

I have had quite a bit of sucess calling in deer using just my voice over the past 10 years. I have had some of the same reactions from deer but without the cost. It also appears to me that I am more sucessful calling bucks than does and I do better when they are at least 50 yards away in moderate to heavy cover. My assumption is they will not come into a sound when they can confirm visually that nothing is where they hear the sound coming from.

I think I learned some of those lessons from turkey hunting also. My reprotoire is limited to buck and doe grunts, estrous bleats, and distressed fawn bawls. I have called deer in with all of them. The best part is I can judge by the deer's reaction if I am doing the right thing. I called in a monster buck this year by grunting but was unable to take advantage of the opportunity. Anyone else have sucess with using their voice?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Buck 7 pt FB 11.07.15.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	154202

Picture taken shortly after I called him in. Maybe next year.

Boolit Master
    I used to hunt with a fella that used his voice very successfully but he could not change from doe to deep buck grunt as I could with a variable call. I love my callers. I believe the last fifteen deer I harvested was with the call making the differance.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Why don't you use a mouth call? I mean, the doe call type you put in your mouth like a turkey call. I have tried a number of blow type calls and have never had one freeze on me and I've hunted in some below zero stuff.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

always thought calling was a waste of time if you can't find out their names.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

names? start with Donner, Blitzen, Dancer...

Boolit Grand Master

I always thought backstraps, ribs, roast.......
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    We used to have a pet blacktail. When she had her first fawns, one of our dogs discovered them. The bawl they made was very different than anything I could do with any of the calls I had. I learned to imitate that sound with my mouth very well. It would work where I lived quite well, for coyotes and deer. The dogs were friends with Jenny, and the reaction of Brutus (dog) was priceless when the fawn started bawling! He just knew he was in deep excrement when he upset the babies!
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."