Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison vs Beef

Boolit Buddy

Venison vs Beef

Finally, documented testing over the taste of venison and beef.

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste, others insist venison's flavour is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times with arrows with insufficiently sharp broadheads. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles to get it home so we could drive it around another eight hours showing it to friends, and about another hour taking pictures, before being hung out in the sun for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time they were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavour. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison...

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Thank You for the chuckle.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Vendor Sponsor

Man why take to many precautions
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Perma-Banned
    Quit it! yer makin' me hongry.

Moderator Emeritus

Not bad at all. Thanks

Boolit Master

I thought this was legit until the grade A Holstein part.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Grade A Holstein ??? Wasn't that the source of the "Utility"grade beef that used to sold in the "Wrong"part of town back when.???? Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

A friend of mine has a Holstein steer that is almost ready for processing. I will make sure he knows how the professionals process beef.

BB

All this time I've been doing it all wrong.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds about right. Seriously, when I kill a deer, it gets field dressed within 5 or 10 minutes. Within 30 minutes its hanging in the cooler. Most of the time its a one shot deal, like DRT, or dead right there. My deer seldom tastes wild, but is sometimes tough.

Good one

This is looking like some folks are a bit racist towards "Holstein" cattle. JW

Boolit Master

All the Holstein meat I've been given was excellent. We must remember that Holstein cows are very much pampered.

Moderator Emeritus

Friends of mine always insisted on hanging deer overnight until I butchered one 20 minutes after it was shot and served them a roast later that night. They asked what I did to get rid of the "gamey" flavor... I didn't let it hang and rot!

Banned

I eat a lot of Holstein steer meat.
    we usually pick the calves up from the local dairies or at the auction for about 40 bucks each.
    they provide quite a bit of cast boolit testing at the appropriate time.

I didn't know about the wire brush trick, but will implement it next fall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Friends of mine always insisted on hanging deer overnight until I butchered one 20 minutes after it was shot and served them a roast later that night. They asked what I did to get rid of the "gamey" flavor... I didn't let it hang and rot!
    Grandad always said a deer taken in the summer (poached) was the best venison, because it was cut up and put in the freezer real quick like to reduce the chance of anyone seeing it!

Boolit Buddy
    You guys might be onto something about not hanging deer. Last year was the first time I ever had to kill, then skin a buck, and quarter it and ice it down in a cooler for the drive home the same day. It was the best tasting deer we ever ate.

Thats pretty much the exact way we butcher our stuff. We dont take all those unnecessary precautions to be sanitary though.

Holstein is very good meat. We still have a bunch in the freezer.

Boolit Mold
    Excellent writing! I also second butchering as soon as possible for fish or game.

Banned

that's too funny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast