Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: M78 Vetterli gets up and running on a shade tree budget.

M78 Vetterli gets up and running on a shade tree budget.

I know I am a bit late to the game but I finally got a "new to me" M78. After scrubbing the bore of some rust with a bit of copper Chore Boy wrapped on a brass brush, it was looking promising. I then converted the bolt to centerfire using the RCBS decaping pin/tie strap method.

Now to feed it. This backyard procedure is what I used to get holes in the target

I had gotten some 8mm Lebel brass in anticipation of the arrival of this new toy.

I trimmed the brass back about 2/3rds of the way to the shoulder with a cutoff wheel on a handheld air grinder.

I trimmed to 1.7" using a lee trimmer for .223.
    To do this I chucked the case holder in my cordless drill and clamped the cutter and pilot in the vise. I stacked three small washers on the primer pin of the 223 pilot to get the correct length when the pin was inserted into the primer hole. This somewhat wobbly system left the cases trimmed pretty squarely and within .025 of the desired length due to the differing head thicknesses.

Then I went to the next bench and annealed the cases in a socket on the drill motor over a propane torch, quenching in a pan of ice water.

Prime the cases and load 12gr of Red Dot.

Fill to the top with compressed Cream of Wheat and top with Elmers wood glue for an overnight drying period.

Out to the back yard with an old T-shirt stuffed with rags. With the muzzle resting on the rag bundle, pull the trigger and get a very satisfying wump as the case is fire formed. Do not do this on your nice grass, the COW is a pretty potent projectile.

Once the cases were formed, I reprimed and loaded 8.5gr of the same Red Dot. I do not have any 44s in the house, so I capped it off with a .433 round ball of 123gr.

Off to the range we went.

At 25 yards I was very impressed with the group printing about 14-16 inches high. 1235 FPS on the Chrony. Off to the 100 yard line. Just over five inches...No BS. Very excited with this thrown together combination.

Back home for more reloading. This time with a case loosely full of 1F behind a card, lube and the same 123gr round ball. Only shot at the 25, group moved lower and left at 1440 FPS. Note to self, BP makes a mess of Chrony, move it further down range.

A question...The brass is very soft after annealing. How long before they work harden so they do not get dented by dropping them on the floor? I do not have any dies and only use a 44SPL belling die to straighten out the mouths of the cases. Not belling them, only straightening.

I need to get the proper molds for the heavy projectile.

The adventure continues.

Boolit Master

5 shots 100 yards
    22.5 of 4198

Bullet sizer
    255 grain old Lyman 429244 lubed with Javelina and the run through the sizer die

Last edited by skeettx; 11-25-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Now that is my kind of sizer, the one you already have.

So are you able to seat the 240s long enough to use the magazine or are they singles only?

I have this desire to feed them from the magazine. That way when the paper targets starts advancing on me I can defend myself rapid fire style. Paper cuts can be deadly, don't ya know.

I thought the only ones long enough to make 2.2" were the 310s.

Boolit Master

corbinace
    Very nice group. The M78 Swiss Vetterli is one of the rifles I have wanted for a long time and have never run into the one with my name on it.

Ken

Boolit Master

My mistake 255 grains 429244 Gas Check

Long enough to make a feeder out of it
    2.165" works in my gun

But you see you could seat it out a bit, I do like the gas check for accuracy.

Mike

P.S. yes, just went out to the shop and verified they would feed, a little longer might
    make the feeding smoother, but with this length and a small screwdriver, I can get
    the complete cartridge out of the action much easier
    The full diameter body of the bullet sure does make for a good tight chamber fit.

P.S.S. But maybe this one would be better?
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=25
    But mine works and is accurate enough for me.
    Last edited by skeettx; 11-25-2015 at 08:44 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    The LEE 310 made a good cheap mold to try from my brothers chopped down Vetterli. His has a rough bore, but still shot inside 1" at 50 yards with no real load work. The Vetterlis are oddballs, but super fun to shoot. I love the cartridge lifter

Hey Skeet1, if you are referring to the photo, I cannot take credit for that one, it belongs to Skeettx.

The Lee mold was my thought, as I am new to casting and trying to stay on the lower end of the cost scale. Plus, I have heard quite a few people using it.