Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed in my first reloads.

Very disappointed in my first reloads.

Just shot 20 of my first reloaded ammo. I loaded 44 mag with Starline brass, 20 gr H110, Cast Performance 300gr wfngc, & CCI 350 mag primer. Shot from Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7.5 inch barrel & open sights. I was on a bench.

At 12 yards 1.5-2 in group. At 20 yards opened up substantially to 5inces or so. At 25 it was too erratic to consider.

I'm not the world's worst shot but realize that some operator inconsistency was involved. As a new reloader I'd like some experienced advice on additional factors to consider. Does my gun just not like the load? Too much powder? Not enough powder?

What steps/direction should I take in getting things more accurate?
    Faith, Family, & Fine Hounds.

Boolit Master

you might slug your barrel and make sure the boolits are the right size.

Boolit Master

That Ruger is capable of 2 to 3 " at 25 yards with the factory sights and a reasonably skilled shooter.

We need to know all the details of your load.

I suspect the problem is with your bullets.

I believe they are commercial cast. Commercial cast bullets are usually too hard and too small.

Mike them and let us know the actual diameter.

Use a Micrometer - NOT a caliper.

Remove your cylinder. Try to slip a bullet base first into each cylinder throat and report how they fit.

Did you get any leading?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    It would also be good to know what "bench" technique you used. Some people rest the barrel, others rest their wrist. The load you used is normally very accurate.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Maybe load up some at lower pressure (recoil) levels, see if it's an "operator" issue.

Boolit Master

Not experienced with that load, but a 300grain 44 is a long bullet for most stock pistols. The longer The bullet, thr higher The rpm/velocity required to stabilize it. I believe that load is max/near max, so you may need a shorter lighter bullet to maintain stability at longer ranges.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Is it possible to have a 2nd person shoot the revolver ( hopefully a skilled marksman ), to compare his performance to yours ? ?

Boolit Master

Most new reloaders start their sojourn into reloading with jacketed bullets, so good on you starting with cast boolits. On the other hand, cast boolits can present problems that jacketed bullets don't, so use the scientific method to solve the problem and only change one component at a time while getting to an answer.

A symptom of too small a boolit as suggested by posters above would be some leading in your bore from gas cutting on the sides of the boolit. Check your bore for excessive leading and if you have it, that might be a clue as to your issues.

As noted above, check not only your bore dimensions in comparison to your projectile's diameter, but also your charge hole throats. Should just slip through the throats and then be hopefully full bore diameter or a thousandths or two larger.

Don't give up with just a single boolit's style, weight and make. I'm making an assumption that are using commercial boolits so try some softer boolits like Speer or Hornady swaged boolits over moderate charges of Unique and establish an accuracy base line with those or at least a base line with factory loads before proceeding too much further and getting frustrated. Softer recoiling loads, as you already know, will allow you to concentrate on your shooting technique.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-25-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Pics for your consideration:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151125_205644661_HDR.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	154208

Name:	IMG_20151125_205644661_HDR.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	154208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151125_205531818_HDR.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	154209

Boolit Master

If you try reduced loads, go to another powder. H110 cannot be reduced too much or you'll get into another set of problems. Don't go below the lowest published data.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a relatively inexperienced reloader, only having reloaded 9mm and 40 S&W, for the last 3 or 4 years. I only recently got into casting. I wouldn't get discouraged that your first 20 rounds didn't shoot well. I'm under the impression that it takes most people a while to find the right combination of components and load parameters (OAL, etc) that works best in their guns.

Name:	IMG_20151125_221310895.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	154211
    The spent brass seems excessively dirty to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runningbear44 View Post

Not to worry, that is not unusual when using cast boolits. Some of the lube gets blown back onto the brass upon firing.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Check your load data against the published H110 data. You DO have the #4 Lyman Cast Bullet Book right?

I shoot a 240gn cast SWC with 23gn H110 with good accuracy. As said do not lite load H110.
    You have picked a very "tough" 1st try with that cal and that powder.

Most start with simpler 9mm, 40 S&W, 38SPL, or 45LC loads. The 44mag with H110 is a high-end gun and narrow load profile, not really a beginner's gun/powder combo.

Slug your barrel. Check diameter of those slugs you are now using. Check load data. Buy a manual if you do not have one.

A "bench" is a VERY broad definitiion! Explain.

Get some mre forgiving powder thatn H110 to start with. Check the load data books and your LGS shelves.

Good luck!

banger

Boolit Master
    Shoot offhand at 25 yards and call your shots. If you can call your shots and the bullets land pretty close to the place the sights were when the gun fired then your bench technique is pitiful.
    If your bench technique is pitiful then work on that before you try doing serious benchrest shooting.
    I don't care about cylinder throat, bullet diameter barrel groove diameter etc. as long as the bullet is close to throat diameter and reasonable in size you don't get that type of accuracy your getting. While you may not get wallet groups the gun and load should do better than what you were doing regardless.
    Worry about the wallet groups later when you have got everything else under control.
    Oh yes you are in the ball park with the powder charge and weight.
    I would bet it is you mostly. That bullet and load should do far better than that regardless unless the bullet is so far undersized that it would be akin to shooting a smooth bore.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 11-26-2015 at 12:29 AM.

I don't know about the loads but you could have someone else shoot it to find out at least one parable. I don't know how handgun experienced you are or at least with that type of weapon. Properly loaded and shot it should be less than 4" maybe 6" @ 100 yd and there are ones that can do better than that from the bench.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a very heavy crimp with H110, almost to the point of bulging the case.

Some years ago I had those same bullets. Loaded them with max loads of VV N110. I could never get the accuracy I wanted. In the end I thought my S&W just doesn't "like" cast bullets.

How wrong I was. A cast bullet (f.e. RCBS 240 Sil) in .431..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runningbear44 View Post

Cast loads almost always deposit some lube and carbon around the mouth of the case but that far back along the case wall is not common in my experience.

I usually see that with loads that are too light to expand the case walls to obturate the chamber.

That said, according to my manuals, ( Lyman ) your load is already above max.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

The load info I used was given to me by Grizzly Cartridge who manufactures the Cast Performance bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast