Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: .300 Blackout info and questions

Boolit Master

.300 Blackout info and questions

I have an extra AR upper and complete bolt/carrier assembly setting around. Was just wondering about going with the .300 Blackout sometime in the future.

My query is this, does the .300 Blackout give basically the same results as the 7.62x39 or even the 30/30 with cast loads? Was mainly interested in the 150-180gr weight of boolit, to be used for deer hunting with the AR. What twist rate of barrel for this weight of boolits?

I realize putting a .300 Blackout barrel on the AR upper would involve checking headspace, but any other concerns with barreling?
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

It is close, but from real world accounts, just shy of the 7.62x39 and 30-30. That said, it is a dual purpose round that is fun to plink with supers or subs and effective for hunting medium game at short range. A suppressor adds to the fun factor and brass is easily made from 223. Bullets are, of course, very widely available. For hunting with supers 1:8 to 1:10 twist is fine. Most are made with fast twist to stabilize the long heavies for subsonic use but they shoot supers just fine. For 150s, 2000 fps is about max, for 180s probably 1800ish. My upper shoots the Lee 170FN just fine so try some RN or FN boolits to see if they work in your upper. This gives more options for bullet types.

Boolit Master

Petroid, those velocities are just what I would like. I shoot my .30-.31 caliber rifle cast loads at 1700-1800 fps, and a AR 300 Blackout doing the same would be great.

Just thinking of a new project for in the future. The Blackout seems to get a lot of good reports.

I'm thinking about one as well, any good mold designs for it?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Vendor Sponsor

my Noveski 10.2" 1-7 twist AR will shoot from MP312-155 at 1997 FPS up to NOE 311247s at 1425 FPS very accurately
    supers at 1800 (180's) to about 2000 FPS (150's) depending on bullet weight should be no problem at all..
    Ar's will feed smaller meplats better..or Round noses.. Although I have the MP 155 HP mold feeding reliably about 90% of the time ..
    shooting/hunting with subs and a suppressor is just awesome fun..love hearing that heavy bullet wack a deer

I found a light crimp improved almost all my groups in the blackout
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    30-30 has a little more case capacity, but lower pressure than a 7.62x39. So not a whole lot of difference. From what I read on the 300AAC its just a little less than the 7.62x39, but you can get bullets with a better BC so up close not going to see it, but out further would see the difference. Cast, generally same types of bullets so probably close to neck and neck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Petroid, those velocities are just what I would like. I shoot my .30-.31 caliber rifle cast loads at 1700-1800 fps, and a AR 300 Blackout doing the same would be great.

Just thinking of a new project for in the future. The Blackout seems to get a lot of good reports.
    For cast, the blackout has a short neck and throat which makes it hard to get coverage of lube grooves and seat out far enough to keep the gas check in the neck. This is not a problem for subs. Powder coating makes lube groove coverage a non issue but seating depth is still deeper than I would like at times, but they still shoot ok. Lee 312-155 or 160 are popular as is NOE 311414 among others. I have had success with the Lee 170FN as well

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    For cast, the blackout has a short neck and throat which makes it hard to get coverage of lube grooves and seat out far enough to keep the gas check in the neck. This is not a problem for subs. Powder coating makes lube groove coverage a non issue but seating depth is still deeper than I would like at times, but they still shoot ok. Lee 312-155 or 160 are popular as is NOE 311414 among others. I have had success with the Lee 170FN as well

I have had great success with Lee 312-155 started with that and have tried others but always have gone back. Shooting 4227, getting 1950 fps with powder coated COWW. Groups are about an inch to 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    I have had great success with Lee 312-155 started with that and have tried others but always have gone back. Shooting 4227, getting 1950 fps with powder coated COWW. Groups are about an inch to 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds.
    Great to hear. Sure is one nasty little cartridge!

I think a lot would depend on exactly which powder and load you use.
    The 300BO fan club over on graybeard outdoors have been posting dead deer pics for a week now.

IMO for deer it makes a much better all around hunting round than the .223.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I think a lot would depend on exactly which powder and load you use.
    The 300BO fan club over on graybeard outdoors have been posting dead deer pics for a week now.

IMO for deer it makes a much better all around hunting round than the .223.
    That was my thoughts exactly. I never thought of the .223 as a deer hunting cartridge, though I know people who use them successfully.

Boolit Bub
    I absolutely love this cartridge. I've loaded everything from 110 to 220 grain bullets with great results. An NOE 311284 over about 10 grains of AA1680 lightly crimped makes a killer subsonic load.

My normal load is a 145gr PB RFN i've been working toward 1800 & MOA @ 100. 170 is the heaviest I'll go, GCd, in my 1;10 (8-8.5 is about all you can get off the shelf). 7.62x40WT is closer to x39 performance - just a longer case but shorter neck, 1;12 so 150 is the heaviest recommended. BO is still a pound lighter than my 336 30/30.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I am considering a .300 also ... Are all your cast rounds GC or can you get away with just PC?
    Might like to try the 180/220 going slow for cast. Would be interesting if I could get away with just PC.
    Just haven't been able to bring myself to do GC yet ...
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I am considering a .300 also ... Are all your cast rounds GC or can you get away with just PC?
    Might like to try the 180/220 going slow for cast. Would be interesting if I could get away with just PC.
    Just haven't been able to bring myself to do GC yet ...
    My rule of thumb, over 1,500fps use check, under just PC works. I love the 155gr Lee and upgraded to the 6 cavity and use it powder coated and gas checked. I have several over 200gr molds designed for the BO and my current favorite is PB that I use just powder coated and it weighs 235gr.

Using Hodgdon data, heavy subs are 1/2 psi of supers (near 9 & 40SW) so PC alone should work well. 150ish run slow, psi is probably 2/3 of fast.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have both, mainly because I have never fallen into the trap of thinking just because I choose one that means I cant have the other.

If your goal is to only use it for Hunting and cheap target practice. Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 set up. get one and be happy it will do all you need.

On the other hand if you want to be able to do the above, plus all the things the 300 Black out can do that NO other option can do. There are plenty of options that can do one specific thing the 300 Black out can do a little better.But non that can do the others.
    Think in Air force terms of a true multi role fighter. It can cover a very wide range of roles.

I recommend getting both. because you can.

Personally I am in love with the AR platform. I love that its modular and being able to mix and match and swap to what ever I feel like doing. If I feel like running and gunning I put on the Lower with the single stage trigger.( I am in my 50's so maybe its more gunning than running now days.) If I feel like aiming small and missing small. attach the lower with the two stage match trigger. Once you are all in tune with a certain trigger. You pop it on a different upper in a different caliber and it feels the same firing it. The mussel memory is all ready there.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 12-05-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    My experience is exactly the same. This is a wonderful cartridge, especially for casters. It's cheap to shoot, easy on the shoulder, and knocks deer and hogs down with no problem. The furthest I've shot mine hunting is 200 yards. It's fine out to there.

Boolit Master
    The 30/30 pushes a 170 grain bullet as fast as the 7.62x39 pushes a 125 grainer, the .300 B.O. is less powerful.