Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Carcano??? In the pawn shop?

Boolit Master

Carcano??? In the pawn shop?

Can you tell me what I saw in the pawn shop today?
    this rifle is a mil surp that has been Bubba'd. It looks like a
    Carcano action, it has the split bridge, but a straight bolt handle.
    The part that confused me was it's flush magazine, looks like a stagger stack mag.
    And it has quick detach floor plate with release in the front part of trigger guard
    can this be a Carcano?

Boolit Grand Master

No Carcano had a mag flush, all were Mannlicher style steel 1.5-2" below stock.
    How about a Steyr hunting rifle? Split bridge, rotary mag.

OR somebody went crazy and put a stagger mag on a Carcano.......... Wow, that would
    be odd.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Perhaps the Japanese Type 1 Carcano. 60,000 made at Terni, 1937-38, semi-rare, good reputation for accuracy, 6.5 mm.

Boolit Master

Portuguese Mauser?

If it has the royal Portuguese crest of King Carlos on the receiver ring, it is probably a Portuguese Mauser. I can't remember the nomenclature, but I've got one still in as issued condition in the vault. If I have time tomorrow I'll dig it out if you think that is what it might be.

If in fact that is what it is, I can report that (at least mine) they shoot quite well and have about the most usable of all the Mauser sights. You didn't mention a calibre so we are just guessing at this point. The Portuguese Mauser is chambered for the 8mm Mauser so take a look at the bore diameter although the crest will be the give a way if my guess in on.

I found these two photos on the internet. Compare 'em with what you saw and let us know.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-25-2015 at 02:24 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    No , not portugese Mauser . It is a Carcano variant. No markings on reciever

Boolit Grand Master

I seem to recall that Italy sold to the Japanese Navy some Carcano type actions but with the Jap type 38 magazines. There is one in a gunshop here in Az. that I recently looked at.
    According to Wikipedia this was in 1937.

Boolit Master

Yes, it was the Type I (Type Italian).

These were made for the Imperial Japanese Navy as the Army had priority in Arisaka production. They are in Calibre 6.5 Jap and used Japanese bayonets and stripper clips. The lack of a Mum on the ring is common on the Type I.

I've only seen a few of them, but a fellow that shoots at my range has one that shoots pretty well and is, unlike many, in very good shape.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

If that really is a type I it's a shame bubba either didn't know or didn't care what it was.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I have a type I. Nice gun. Several Carcanos too.

Never had much luck with cast with them though. Maybe if the group buy that's over 2 years underway on the original spec 6.5 cruise missile ever gets done... sigh.

Boolit Master
    But I was thinking the carcano bolt face was smaller, small enough to feed .35remington, with a new barrel.

I think old Paul would turn over in his grave if, his name was linked to this action.

Frank

Boolit Master
    if in doubt and price is cheap, buy it!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    if in doubt and price is cheap, buy it!
    how would you define cheap?
    remember it is already bubba'd.

Boolit Master
    I rarely see anything under 200 bucks. I did get a nice carcano last year priced at 200 and I offered 150 and he took it and I got it. If what you saw is a bubba special that has not been hacked to bad I think from 130 to 170 would not be too bad. With out a picture that is a total blind proposal! If it was a mannlicher I sure would get excited!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    they asking 150 for it, it is the above mentioned Japanese Carcano with the flush magazine. the stock fore end has been cut down, no barrels bands.
    will this thing feed .35rem reliably with a new barrel?

Boolit Master
    I don't know how to answer that one. I turned one into a 35 remington but I use a savage 340 clip for it and I had to cut out some of reciever rail to work. I have another in 7.62x39 and that one works in the original bottom mag but I changed that magazine to a spring fed lifter from a savage 340 clip. When I used the 7.62x39 in the original clipper mode I had feed issues so I did not mess with it. The gun your looking at is a differant magazine I believe so it might work. It will chamber and eject a 35 remmy as far as the bolt head is concerned. If I saw that gun it would come home with me at that price!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I still want to get one in original 6.5 because I learned more of how to feed cast in these, so I would not right the gun off as a cast shooter. I got a bag of cartridges from Graf and dies fromm Lee so it is very economical to get going and alot of fun if you don't mind fiddling. All I can say is never size down 270 bullets . I did that and it was very accurate but I started to slow it down and got a bullet stuck real quick and the bullet is still there, its almost welded into the barrel. I did all recommended ways to get bullet out then I cut the barrel in 2 thru the bullet and that sucker is welded fast. Shame shame shame because that was a nice original gun and I was a rear end for trying that trick!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I guess a good receiver sight is out of the question due to the split bridge; what kind of good sight can be put on it?

Boolit Master
    I need scopes for my aging eyes and I use a scout set up but a reciever site would be easy if you can drill and tap. I just checked mine and with a replacement bolt handle(for looks only) from top of reciever(rear split area) to top of bolt is 3/8 inch that is needed to operate bolt. I think some of the sight stuff coming on for military AK and other parts you could do it. Of course the front reciever can be tapped or the barrel could take a multitude of sites.
    Look twice, shoot once.