Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 limits out. My hunting story (rather long)

Boolit Grand Master

45-70 limits out. My hunting story (rather long)

I’m back from a 7 day hunt in Arkansas deep woods. I hope you will pardon me for writing it all down in a really large post, but it was a heck of an adventure and I thought some might like to read about it.
    I hunt in a really nice place in south Arkansas. It’s a deer lease that is very exclusive and pretty much consists only of family and close personal friends. I was invited as a friend of two of the old members, and have shared the hunt with these gents for the last two years, but only for 2 days of the year as my main focus has been on growing my gunsmithing business and deer season is busy. I have tried to take care of the people I hunt with though, and never charged much for keeping their firearms in tip top shape, and every year, I take care of whatever they need to get going, including reloads, and maintenance as it might be required.
    However, this year, the guys I hunt with (Clint and Bob) decided they wanted me to spend more than a day and a half, and they paid for 5 days of my hunt. They’re plan worked, and I worked my tail feathers off clearing enough elbow room that I could take off for a week to hunt.
    Finally the time had arrived, and I packed everything but the kitchen sink on the truck and made the 2 ½ hour drive for camp, hoping I might be able to score two or three deer for the freezer.
    Attachment 154145
    As is my habit, the firearms I took along consisted of my ever present M1A, a long range rifle just in case, and a primary cast bullet rifle as the main meat getter.
    The rifle I chose to use on this hunt as my primary was one I acquired earlier this year from Bjornb: an 1886 Browning 1-3000. Rather extravagant I admit, but I have come to love the design of it above all others, and the gorgeous appearance of it is the icing on the proverbial cake. The only downside to the 1886 is that you cannot mount a scope on it without major elective surgery, and the sights are very small and hard to see. On the other hand, it has features that my Marlin 1895 rifles do not. First of all, when choosing a bullet design for this rifle, generally speaking, if you can get a loaded cartridge to enter the magazine tube from the loading port, that round will cycle through the action without getting stuck between the loading gate and the carrier as is common in the 1895 Marlin. The bullet may meet the rifling leadin too soon, but the cartridge will extract. Also, the 1886 allows me to easily short stroke the action and remove a loaded cartridge before the next one can be caught by the carrier. This allows me to make the rifle safe with an empty chamber and a full magazine tube which I enjoy very much. This rifle also allows me to carry 7 cartridges in the tube which is enough to take care of business no matter what. The rifle fits me, and comes to point naturally and I have loved shooting it this summer quite a bit.
    The bullets, I cast myself from House alloy to a hardness of 14BHN using a mold I obtained from Accurate molds in the venerable 46-355RG. I used Hornady gas checks.
    Most of my range time this summer was spent trying to figure out what lube or coating would provide the best solution for first shot accuracy. I was hoping to get PC to work out, but it was finicky and unreliable range session to range session. Larry Gibson had recommended that I try a simple lube made of olive oil and bees wax mixed 50/50. This proved to be exceedingly predictable and consistent across the board and accuracy was as good with this lube as any that I had tried (2.5” at 100 yards average).
    The load I used was 30 grains of IMR4227 with a ¾” square of Dacron about ¼” thick, lofted so that the bullet pushed it into place when seated. Brass is Starline. Primers were CCI LR. This load pushes that bullet at 1650FPS

Friday afternoon I made the two hour drive to the deer lease, ready to spend 9 days in the woods, and hoping to come home with at least three deer in that time. I arrived and shook hands with my friends then sat down to eat the first of many meals in the coming weeks. The people I hunt with could give any culinary chef a run for their money and they like to go all out during deer season. Being local farmers and foresters, very little of the ingredients to the food is store bought, as much of it is raised in their own fields and gardens and the quality is easy to appreciate let me assure you!
    Attachment 154146
    Attachment 154147
    Attachment 154148
    Attachment 154149
    After diner, plans were formulated as to where each person would hunt the next day. The choices are truly staggering as the lease is nearly 4000 acres comprised of hardwoods, tree farms, fields and broad open spaces that would easily allow a 1000 yard shot. There are over 65 permanent tree stands located all over the place, so wherever the deer are, there is likely a tree stand in the area from which to ambush the game and make a clean harvest. Each stand has its own pet name and the conversation centered around statements like “I seen deer runnin ova yonder by the bicycle stand but since the weather changed I think I’ll ease up the hill to the old whiteoak” Or “maybe ya aughta set up in Angies ambush and catch what comes out of the thicket on the hill” or “the deer been hittin the corn awful hard ova yonder in the plum thicket” etc etc etc.
    However, I like to climb trees with my API Grandslam climber and I chose to hunt in my favorite spot simply called “the cemetery” (so named because of a small ancient cemetery near there from the early 1800s consisting of mom, dad, and 4 children probably taken by some disease. (Yeah. It’s eerie).

Morning came early for me as I awoke at 4AM. I stumbled to the clubhouse (a polebarn where all the cooking and eating takes place) and I stirred up the fire in the wood stove and got a pot of strong coffee brewing. I tied my boots and nursed my coffee over the next hour as one by one the others awoke and made their way in. I tried to get everybody’s morning off to a good start by meeting them at the door with a steaming Styrofoam cup of coffee, and I stood by the coffee pot listening to the bleary eyed conversations and keeping cups full (I used to always be camp cookie and old habits die hard).
    Finally, everyone was good and coffee’d up, and daylight was coming in 30 minutes so everybody headed to the four wheelers. I loaded up my pack, the tree stand and my 45-70 jumped on the BigBear and started puttering out to my spot. I parked the wheeler in the brush about 75 yards from the place I wanted to set up, got the climber on my back and picked my way to my spot. I found a tree in the dark that looked like a good candidate, climbed up about 15 feet and got settled in.
    Sunrise broke shortly after I was set up and I started picking out shooting lanes and making fine adjustments to the stand, and got the skirt tied around it. The skirt is a marvelous addition that my sister had sewed for me several years ago. It acts as a wind break, and protects my feet from view so I can move without the deer getting spooked.
    Attachment 154150
    About 8:00AM I saw movement at the top of the hill and made out a nice buck picking his way along finding acorns to munch on. He was too deep in the brush and timber to get a shot at though. It took a good half hour for my heart to stop racing.

An hour later a couple does wandered down off the hill to my 7:00. I quickly stood up and got in position. They inched along getting closer and closer and the lead doe was heading right for a nice hole in the foliage I could shoot through. I aimed my rifle at the hole and suddenly realized that I had a serious problem. I could barely see my sights! The 1886 has a very small front sight and a rear sight with a small notch that works fairly well on the range, but to my extreme consternation, does not do me any favors whatsoever in shadowy timber! As the doe entered the kill zone, I was lifting the front sight, and bringing it down into the rear notch, where I would lose sight of it, then repeat. I did this about three times and felt I had a good idea of where it was, then made the worst mistake I have made since I started hunting as a teenager: I took the shot.
    The deer jumped and kicked and tor back up the hill. I knew what I had done within seconds. The doe was simply running too well and I never heard it go down. I climbed down the tree, found where the shot was made and started searching for blood. I found my bullet where it impacted the ground, but only a few drops as I traced the doe’s path up the hill.
    Attachment 154151
    Once I got to the top of the hill I found a small patch of blood in a thicket. Dark red, and not much of it. I tried to pick up the deer’s trail by cutting semi circular traces, ever increasing as I got further away from that patch of blood. Nothing. Not a single speck of blood. I had simply hit her too low, and clipped the brisket. I continued like this for several hundred yards, all the way down the mountain to the creek at the bottom and never found another trace of blood. I finally abandoned hope and returned to camp.
    It’s a horrible feeling knowing that your own arrogance and failure to consider every possible scenario has caused you to harm a living animal. I was angry and horribly ashamed of myself. I have failed to recover game before, and even experienced bullet failure in the field, but I have never made a bad shot that caused harm to a game animal before.
    I practice a lot with my rifles and have confidence in their performance, but this was something that should not have happened. I should not have pulled the trigger. Anybody who has ever fired a gun can tell you that if you don’t have a front sight picture, you don’t have anything, and I should have known better. I’m very sorry for my actions that day and I resolved to never repeat it.

The next day began exactly like the first. I woke up before everyone else, fixed coffee, etc etc etc. However, I decided to leave the 1886 in the truck and I opted to hunt with the M1A instead. The M1A has those classic battle sights that are big enough to get a sight picture even at dusk. Before leaving, I took a lighter and put fresh black on the sights front and rear.
    After climbing my tree and getting set up, I checked the dope on my elevation by bottoming the rear aperture out and coming up 9 clicks. I was advised by a very competent Army Sergeant to determine my dope in this way and memorize it like I do my SS number which I did.
    Attachment 154152
    About 9:00AM, I caught a glimpse of a deer walking fast through the woods from my 10:00. I had a nice opening at 12:00 and the deer was heading right for it. I slung up the M1A, and when the deer walked into the lane, I drilled it right through the shoulders. It dropped like a sack of grain, rear legs kicking hard for a few seconds till it laid still. The whole affair took about 15 seconds. Quick and humane. This did a lot to restore my confidence in myself. I got the deer packed up and drove back to camp where I quickly got it quartered up and packed away on ice. Unfortunately, it was a running shot and I led it about 2” too much and contacted the front leg bone which made the bullet fragment and destroyed most of the meat on the front legs (it was a running shot, so sue me). Still, I cut around the damage, and managed to salvage a lot of it. The cuts of meat I take from a deer are the neck roast, the tenderloins, the front legs, the rear hams, and the “sweet meats” from under the backbone on the inside. Personally, I find the ribs to be more trouble than they are worth.
    The evening hunt yielded nothing.

The next day (Sunday) was a bust as well.

Monday was a bust too as rain was on it’s way in. The morning was uneventful, and it started drizzling about noon, which turned to light rain a few hours later. Still, a little drizzle never hurt anybody and I’ve seen deer move in it before, so I decided to hunt. A friend of mine asked me if I could give him and his buddies a hand with the wide open clear-cut, because they knew I brought the 300 WinMag and what kind of shooting I have done with it. I got totally soaked and didn’t see a darn thing, and to be honest, I was glad of it because there’s no way I would take a long shot in the rain. Even if I made the shot, the deer would have to go down immediately, or it would be lost as soon as it got out of sight.
    Attachment 154153
    Attachment 154154

Going back to camp to a hot meal and the woodstove was simply wonderful. That night, the real brunt of the storm hit and it rained cats and dogs all day Tuesday. There were tornados kicking up several places in the state (one of which was just a few miles from my house as I found out when my wife called me in a panic. All was well in the end though.). I took a drive into Arkadelphia to avoid going stir crazy. The local Atwoods store had a sale on Boresnakes and I snagged a few of them and bought a new flashlight as my old one had bit the big one the night before. I drove back to camp and handled a few gun repairs for my fellow hunters. Most of them had left Monday, and even more had lit a shuck when the weather got bad, so I pretty much had the whole place to myself. Just me and the owner of the lease and his wife and daughter. Just hung around and had a nice evening.
    The rain cleared off about 7:00PM but I just knew in my gut that the next day was going to be beautiful and a total bust for deer hunting.
    Sure enough, Wednesday was simply gorgeous. There was a chill in the air, and everything looked fresh and wet from the hard rain the previous day, but the wind was blowing and the deer were having none of it.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-25-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Vendor Sponsor
    Hope there is more....

Boolit Grand Master

I spent the morning in my climber and saw nothing but the occasional squirrel. I packed it in at 9:30AM and arrived atcamp to find that no one had seen anything either (surprise surprise). Theywere loading up the beagles though and were going to do a few drives to see ifthey could flush a few out of the thick stuff, and they needed standers, so I volunteered. The M1A scout is a great tool to use for this purpose as it is quick handling and I can make quick hits with it.
    Attachment 154155
    We set up in a standing line, about five hunters 100 yards apart at various locations in the woods, and once everyone was set up the fellow with the dogs turns them loose and drives the deer towards the hunters. There is something horribly exciting about hearing a bunch of beagles pushing towards you through thickbrush and timber. Every hair on your neck stands to attention and your heartbeat becomes synchronized with the baying of the hounds. I had my M1Aslung up tight in a military sling, just loose enough to not cut off the circulation to the fingers of my left hand, ready to shoot any deer that crash through the brush. It actually feels more like bird hunting than anything.
    We endedup doing three drives at different places on the east property, but unfortunately, nothing turned up, and no one saw a single deer. Seems like at the same time, everyone realized that this day was not going to produce anyjoy, and we all ended up doing recreational activities on the four wheelers etcetc.
    Attachment 154156
    I took a drive myself and did some exploring because honestly, the property is so vast,there are many places I have not seen.
    While I was driving around, I kept thinking about the 1886 and the bad shot I had made.I asked myself very earnestly what it would take for me to make another attempt with that rifle tomorrow. I decided that the only way would be if I could change that sight picture, and get some positive range time in which I shot a good group on paper and then blow up a water bottle at 50 yards from the offhand position. Seeing as how no one was doing any serious hunting anyway, I figured that this would be the perfect day to test this. I asked the matron if she had any whiteout that I could use to paint my sights which she did. I painted the front sight white, and I put a single tiny dot directly under the notch in the rear sight. When the sights were properly aligned, it looked like a thermometer, or an upside down lolly pop. This looked great, and I could easily make them out even when I looked at them from a shaded, dark place. Still, I realized that changing the appearance of the sights could affect the zero of the rifle. I had to test it.
    I drove out to the big open clear cut, with a few targets, a staple gun, and a small bottle of water. I posted a target at 50 yards, and was pleased to see that the sights were shooting exactly as they should. I checked the target where it was stapled to the stump, removed it, and set the bottle of water on top of the stump. I walked back 50 yards, turned, shouldered my rifle and turned that bottle into mushroom cloud of water vapor. The 45-70 was back in play!
    The next day was Thursday, and I woke up early and did my normal routine, and got to my stand a little late just as dawn was breaking. I was carrying my beloved 1886 and I had a very real sense that today was going to provide me with an opportunity to put another deer in the freezer. It was just one of those days where everything felt perfect. The wind was low, the air was close to freezing,the deer had not moved at all in three days, and there was lots of fresh acorns on the ground that got knocked out of the trees by the storms two days ago.
    I was nervous, and wondering if I had made a mistake bringing the 1886 again, but the logical side of my brain said that since I could now see my sights, and I have almost 600 rounds through this rifle, everything should be excellent.
    Attachment 154157
    A couple hours later, it was like déjà vu all over again because two does walked out from the exact same place they did on that first day, and I was going to have an opportunity to repeat my lousy shot and see if I could get it right this time.
    Sure enough, the lead doe walked right in front of the hole I had failed to shoot the doe through before. I peered over the sites of the rifle, and could see the white post glowing in contrast to the shady background like it was on fire. I lined up on the does armpit, aiming 3” high to account for the angle of the shot. I don’t remember pulling the trigger or hearing the shot. The rifle just pushed back into my shoulder at the opportune time, the lead doe jumped and kicked and ran back the way she had come. I could tell by the way she was running that I had connected very well, and I heard her crash over the hill. I cycled the action, and the spent casing hit the brim of my hat and fell to the ground below. Then I realized that the other doe had not run off. I quickly snapped the rifle back to my shoulder, took aim and shot the second doe like I had the first one, but this deer went down immediately like a fly that gets hit with a rubber band.
    Attachment 154158
    This experience put me right back in front of the curve and I was elated as I drug the deer to the four wheeler, lashed them on the racks and headed back to camp.I got the deer skinned and quartered up and put on ice, had a bite to eat, and discussed the evening hunt with the others.
    I surmised that it was unlikely that I would see another deer from my normal stand that day what with fresh blood on the ground everywhere, and if the deerwere still moving, I wanted to take advantage of it. I decided to change locations and hunt from a fixed stand about ½ mile from my climber.
    I made it out to the new location about 3:00PM and set up to wait. Hunting from a cheap ladder stand certainly renewed my love for the API climber! The seat was merely a 18” square of expanded metal , and there were no rails so the opportunities to fall out of the stand were pretty endless. I’ll say one thing for it, it certainly helps keep you alert!
    I waited for about an hour when I saw movement from 11:00 and recognized it as deer.This area was much thicker than my previous haunt, and there was a narrow shooting lane dead ahead of me, bordered by thick brush. All I knew was that the deer was headed for that shooting lane when I caught a glimpse earlier, but I had no idea how close it was to stepping out, so I kept my rifle at the ready and waited. I first saw the deer’s nose poke out into the shooting lane, then her ears. Looked like a good sized doe. Then I saw her neck, and finally she took another step and exposed her vitals. I decided to tuck a bullet in her armpit and the rifle seemed to go off of it’s own accord. I was confident that I had made a good shot, but after I climbed down out of the stand and approached the blood trail, I was confused when I saw the blood trail included bloody bits of corn. Obviously my shot had cut through the gut. I cursed under my breath and started tracking. The nice thing about shooting a rifle that begins it’s designation with the number 4, is that you get a blood trail. May not be the type of blood you want to see, but it’s going to be there. I tracked that deer over 200 yards through some of the thickest briar thickets I have ever come in contact with. The blood trail was easy to see and there was never more than 4 feet between crimson splashes on the leaves and briars. However,the longer I tracked, the more on edge I became, and the stealthier I crept and picked my way through the woods. I knew that if I had somehow managed to gut shoot this deer, that she could jump up and run another 100 yards and take me to god knows what part of the forest if I didn’t put her down with a quick second shot. I had one eye on the ground, and the other on the woods in front of me as I went, and my thumb was on the hammer of the rifle. Suddenly, I looked up in the direction of the blood trail and saw a deer standing broadside about 40 yards away looking right at me! It seemed like slow motion as I pulled the rifle to my shoulder and drilled the deer through the shoulders. I expected the deer to drop in her tracks when I shot, but to my gaping surprise, it leapt into the brush with more energy than I thought possible after the blood trail I had just followed! I remember saying out loud “how many hits can this deer take?!?!?!?
    Since I now knew where the deer was, I abandoned the blood trail and ran to the spot I had shot the second time, thinking to continue the chase from that point. To my surprise, when I got there, I found a large doe lying dead on the ground with a second blood trail continuing on at a tangent course, leading to a second dear lying dead about 15 yards away. Holy maceral!
    Attachment 154159
    (BTW, if you look at this picture, you can see the deer in the background with the entrance hole within an inch of where I was aiming. The problem was that I didn't realize that the deer was quartering towards me, and the bullet's exit hole is right in the middle of the deer. I knocked out only one lung on my way to the gut. My bad.)

So there I was; hundreds of yards from my original location through some of the thickest and most briar ridden patch of woods I had ever pushed through, with only about an hour of daylight remaining.

I drug the second deer over to where the first deer was laying and took a moment to collect my thoughts and formulate a plan (I also noticed that I had hit the first deer exactly where I had aimed. It was just that I hadn’t realized that she was quartering towards me when I took the shot, so I had only succeeded in knocking out one lung before the bullet tore through the gut). The fact was, I could not drag both deer, and my rifle back the way I came in search of the four wheeler path.

I was horribly torn as to what to leave behind. My first instinct was to leave the deer, and set off in search of the path with my rifle, then come back for the deer, but I thought I might not be able to find the deer again if I did that (It is
    very easy to get turned around in those woods). It was a tough choice, but I decided that I could live with losing a rifle much easier than losing two deer which really didn't need me to kill them needlessly. Everyone has their own creed they hunt by, and mine dictates that a life taken demands that it not be wasted, so I grudgingly leaned my rifle up against a tree beside the smaller deer, I grabbed the large doe by the hind legs and started dragging, retracing the blood trail the way I had come in.

It was an uphill climb and coming down through the brambles was astronomically easier than going back with a deer in tow. The light was fading, and suddenly I realized that I had lost the trail and I was surrounded by thick brush that was wrapped with briars. I looked through the woods and I believed I could see a break in the trees that could be the 4wheeler trail. I sucked it up and started pushing for it and resisting the urge to take the path of least resistance that could lead me off course. It was a hard drag, but I managed to find a way through the brush and as I got higher, I realized that I was right, and that the four wheeler trail was ahead. I finally managed to emerge on the trail with the deer. I dropped her, and headed back the way I had come trying to follow the drag line left by the doe’s body, but the sun was setting quickly. I tor my way back down through the thickets determined to find the other deer and my rifle. My glasses were pulled from my face several times by the briars so I stowed them in my shirt pocket, and my hat was becoming more trouble than it was worth, so I stowed it in my belt.Both my arms were bleeding from being lacerated by the thorny vines that raked over them as a went.

This brings me to one of the coolest moments of this epic hunt. There was a moment when I had lost the trail back to my rifle and I was getting worried and a little nervous that I might have to leave my rifle and the other deer till the next day, and who knows what the area would look like then, and if I could successfully pick my way back to the correct location!
    As I scanned the area trying to find where I had dragged the deer up earlier, my eye caught a glimpse of something that looked like small patch of blaze orange through the woods. It was glowing like fire, and it guided me right back to the second deer like a beacon. What I was seeing was the sunset being reflected from the nickel and gold on the receiver of my rifle! I tried to get a picture of it with my phone camera, but by the time I got my phone out, the light was gone. I guess God gave me a bit of help there.
    I got the second deer back up to the road, by flashlight witch was difficult but uneventful. Then I found the four wheeler after a bit of walking on the trail to determine where in the world I actually was! I got the deer loaded up, and made it back to camp sore, weary, and hungry.
    I parked by the skinning boom and started walking towards the clubhouse. I walked in the door and started making for the sink to wash up. I really must have been a sight. One fellow asked me if I got anything for my trouble. I told him there were two out there by the boom. Another fellow asked me about the blood on my arms and vest: “is that yours or the deer’s?” I smiled, and said “both” with a wink.

There were two other deer taken that day, and I really felt like I was almost getting the hang of quartering up deer cleanly (an objective I try to work on every year) so I pitched in to help getting the deer taken care of. By the time we were done cutting up those deer, I was feeling very confident about my knowledge of a deer’s anatomy. I could look on the inside of the deer’s rear leg, and find a dark patch of muscle that points to the exact location of the joint, slash that point with my knife, bend the leg up, slash both sides, then plunge the tip of the knife in the joint, roll down, and follow the bone to the gap between the bone and the big tendon on the rear of the leg, then slash up and back cutting the big tendon which is when the leg dropped free of the deer.The rest of the joints were found quickly in like manner, and I did a good job of removing the rear hams with surgical precision (or close enough anyway. LOL!).
    After that, we all ate a truly wonderful home cooked meal and no sooner did I have a full stomach, I dozed off sitting in front of the wood stove. There’s honestly nothing quite like having a big cold adventure in the woods, followed by a lot of cold, hard work, followed by a good hot meal, followed by a nice comfortable seat in front of a wood stove that is keeping an un-insulated building at a sultry 80 degrees.
    Somebody cracked a joke, and I awoke to an exceptionally loud round of laughter from the fellows sitting around jawing in the clubhouse. I suppose I had slept for 45 minutes, and I felt a lot better, but I was quickly reminded of the days activities when I moved to stand and felt the pain in my knees, arms, wrists,back, and feet. I joined the conversation and shot the breeze with the fellas for an hour, and finally everybody started trickling out and going to bed. I decided to make use of the shower, and headed for the old school bus in fresh cloths and with clean hair. As I walked I couldn’t help noticing the amazing sky and all the stars that I didn’t normally get to see and I thought “what an amazing day this has been!”. I climbed into my bunk, let my bones settle and drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

Friday morning, I woke up late for the first time, and I had to force myself out of bed because I felt like I had been run over by a truck. The first thought on my mind was how much I missed my family. The homesick feeling in my gut had been building for the last two days, and Friday was a bit of a crescendo. I got to the clubhouse just as people were pulling out on their four wheelers and going to their stands. I downed a quick cup of coffee, and asked Clint where he was heading. He told me he was still trying to decide, and I told him I was going back to my climbing stand, and I encouraged him to try out the spot I had used last night as it was obviously a very good spot. He agreed, and we headed out to our places.
    It was broad daylight by the time I got to my stand, and I approached with caution,even though, I really didn’t care if I spooked all the deer in the woods at that point. I just wanted to go home.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I got settled in my tree, and began debating if I really shouldn’t just go home. Five deer is more than I have gotten in the past three years combined (never mind the fact that for the past three years, I’ve only hunted for two days of the season). I had just about decided to hunt the evening, and tomorrow morning, then head for home, when I was startled by a lot of noise and movement from my 10:00. I watched as 5 deer made their way down the hill to my left and set up shop munching in the brush at my 11:00. I picked out a big doe, took aim, and the rifle punched my shoulder. She jumped one bound up out of the little gully she was in and kicked a few times before expiring. Very quick and clean.
    Well I said. “That’s it isn’t it.” I had just limited out.
    I unloaded my rifle, climbed down from the tree and packed up my stand. I took a roll of rope from my pack, and then carried everything to the top of the hill and deposited it next to the four wheeler. Then returned for the deer.
    It was along drag, and the deer was heavy, but I didn’t mind. I was on cloud nine! I got the deer on the ATV and made it back to camp. I skinned her out and quartered her up and got her packed away on ice.
    Attachment 154160
    Attachment 154163
    Finally,I rounded up all my gear, shook hands with all my friends, and headed for home with an ice chest full of meat and some great memories of an awesome hunt. I believe I enjoyed this hunt nearly as much as the one in 2011 where I got my Arkansas triple trophy award for harvesting deer with bow muzzle loader, and center fire rifle (I made the bow by hand as well as the arrow heads, the fletching, the rifle, ammunition, and used my own cast bullet in the muzzle loader. That was an unbeatable experience.)

When I finally made it home, the sight of my wife and daughter was very good indeed!Lots of hugs and kisses and swapping stories about our adventures (there was a tornado that touched down a couple miles from the house while I was gone). I stayed up way way too late talking with my bride and just enjoying her company after being gone for a week.
    The next day, Natalie (my daughter) and I headed out in search of freezer paper (which was a harder thing to find than you might think for some strange reason.) We hit a couple local stores and struck out, so I let my fingers do the walkin’ and finally located a grocery that sold it. However, before going there, I took my daughter to get a bite at a local greasy spoon we like to eat at sometimes for a good old fashioned daddy/daughter date. Afterwards, we retrieved the freezer paper, drove back home, and the processing began. I do all my own butchering, and I grind my hamburger with a good old fashioned, cast iron, hand crank grinder. People act like hand grinding meat is harder than digging a well in July, but I never minded it. Natalie keeps the hopper full of meat, and I keep the handle going round and round till its all done. I saved all the big leg muscles and tenderloins, but everything else went in the grinder, and we got a really great haul of meat. I wrapped each piece of meat, and each 3 lbs of burger tightly in cellophane, then in freezer paper, and Angie would weigh each package and write the date, weight, and cut on top of the package.
    Processing the deer took the better part of a day and a half, but it went fast, and we were all happy to be together again. You couldn’t ruin our good time if you wanted to.
    Attachment 154161
    Attachment 154162
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-25-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Banned
    way to go!!!

Boolit Master
    Outstanding story! Truly a wonderful hunt. Congrats!

Boolit Master
    You are a very fortunate man. Thanks for the enjoyable read.

Pretty good Tim, the first part of your story clicked a memory back when I was in 1st or 2nd grade and used to go to the basement section of Federal's Department store where the outdoor sporting goods was. That section of store was my Abercrombie & Fitch. Sounds like you had a well deserved productive vacation with good food and good company. Even grown men that get new toys can get a little anxious on opening day. The field trials are what really hone the effectiveness of them. I have heard of a couple of hunters fall asleep in tree stands that have hit the ground when the November winds sway the tree. I myself almost have had it happen to me. Be careful you have a family. Usually in November MI doesn't have leaves on the trees, so you probably get a little more swaying going on down there. Those drizzly days are my favorite to hunt. Light to no winds with drizzle makes the woods quite, takes all of the shadows away, and brings up and enhances all the forest aromas to cover your scents. Back about 25 years ago I was invited to a little deer rib dinner from a dart team member. I usually turn my nose to the ribs, but he made them and they were a decent meal. He put a bunch of ribs in a slow cooker for about 12 hours with his homemade BBQ sauce and I as well as the whole group munch them down with all the BBQ sides that was presented. If you keep ziplock bag with toilet paper in your fanny pack or coat pocket, it can be used in conjunction with one of those light weight headlamps to mark blood trails and such besides your backside. Looks like the meat section of the grocery store will be seeing less of the Malcolm family for the next, NICE you got some good vittles. Congratulations on a successful deer season.

PS I know that there many US regional types of ways for game butchering. In the north a lot of people like to hang their game for a few days to a week. I if weather permitting like to let it hang for almost a month, but I have had to skin and quarter in a couple of days during early season (October) bow hunting. Where as in the south I see a lot of get it, skin it, quarter it, and ice it. I know that your region it can be warm (above 50 degrees night and day), heck I have seen guys here in MI get the lawn chairs out after the second day with just their shorts on with suntan lotion on before the shorten days. With a camp such as you
    were at it seems like it is well established with being large enough and having enough hunters to make a game shed. An 8 by 8 by 10 insulated shed with an cheap air conditioner or refrigerant system for the week or two of deer season you could let your deer hang for a few days or end of your hunting visit. It should make the deer tenderer and maybe more tasty. But that is my palates opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master
    sounds like an adventure for sure
    hard not to beat yourself up for shooting at a
    animal and knowing you wounded it however
    as you have seen these animals are very capable of
    overcoming obstacles that lay on the side of impossible
    it happens and we all learn from it
    excellent story
    enjoy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Good read.
    Not often we get good hunting stories from our members.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

NICE!!!!! Very jealous. Great job and great story.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    sounds like an adventure for sure
    hard not to beat yourself up for shooting at a
    animal and knowing you wounded it however
    as you have seen these animals are very capable of
    overcoming obstacles that lay on the side of impossible
    it happens and we all learn from it
    excellent story
    enjoy
    Well, that's why I wanted to write the whole thing up and include my failure as well as my triumph. It was such an adventure because I started out at the lowest point I have ever been since I have been hunting, and ended up higher than I have ever been! I would give anything to take back that first shot, but I wouldn't trade what happened in the subsequent days for anything.
    Also, other than the first deer I bagged, this was all done with cast lead, and it makes it that much sweeter.

Boolit Master

Great reading, I enjoyed it!

Don't feel bad about what angle your boolit took through the deer. I can't count the times I have shot deer when I believed the "angle" was perfect, but when later finding the deer, it wasn't what I thought. Deer can really create an illusion as to how they presenting themselves or the way our minds see them.

Goodsteel, you must have washed that M1A in hot water and shrunk it, as it is a lot shorter than mine!
    Last edited by Hickok; 11-25-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Great reading, I enjoyed it!

Don't feel bad about what angle your boolit took through the deer. I can't count the times I have shot deer when I believed the "angle" was perfect, but when later finding the deer, it wasn't what I thought. Deer can really create an illusion as to how they presenting themselves or the way our minds see them.

Goodsteel, you must have washed that M1A in hot water and shrunk it, as it is a lot shorter than mine!
    Oh I don't feel bad about that shot it at all. I did what I thought was right with the information I had, and considering I couldn't see the rear of the deer at all, and by the time I could have, I would have lost the shot, and seeing as how I did recover that deer after all, I feel just fine about it.
    Yeah, she ran a couple hundred yards, but she covered that ground fast (I saw no blood that indicated that she had stopped for a breather) and I think it took less than 10 minutes for her to expire after the shot.

Yes, the M1A Scout has a 18" barrel, and mine wears a short vortex flash hider rather than the normal 3" Springfield version. This makes the rifle short and handy, but not as bad as the SOCOM option. The scout uses the same gas system as the standard rifle and is shockingly accurate for what it is. I love it.
    I have the standard 22" barrel for this rifle, along with the hardware for it, but after taking the Pepsi challenge, I decided I much prefer the shorter configuration, and I'm pretty darn good at hitting what I point at with it if I do say so myself.

Moderator Emeritus

Great story Tim. Thanks, enjoyed it especially the special time you got with your daughter. I get to see my daughter tonight and she is staying a few days. Enjoy them while you can!

Boolit Master
    Great story! Brings back memories of some of the hunts I've had that had similar "peaks and valleys".

Boolit Grand Master

Always a pleasure to read a success story like that. Glad you got the time off and enjoyed "the hunt".

Well done.

Larry Gibson

Vendor Sponsor

A great week in the woods beats a week at work anytime.. Such a successful week is one to remember for a lifetime..
    Thanks for sharing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Congratulations on a very successful hunt, and a wonderful adventure.

Great story telling too!

Boolit Master
    Times like that are far too few.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast