Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC issues

Banned

300 AAC issues

Hey guys, I have a 311 247 mold from NOE. I cast a couple hundred the other day and sized em to 309 with the felix red ( I think thats the name of it). I put em on top of 10.3 gr 4198 cause I have about 20-25lb of it. I couldnt get it on paper at 25yd, so I moved to 10. It was barely on a 2 ft wide piece of cardboard with all my scope adjustment used (leupold mkII). And it was shooting 4 inches at 10yd. Also there was a ton of lead in my suppressor. I shoot this same load with some jacketed 220s and get fair (not great) accuracy, and a low sound signature. Any hints?

Banned
    Oh, the gun is a rem 700 sps in 300aac

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Too small, too slow,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    With a low round count personally with this one, I would say first move is to confirm dimensions and that you are not sizing bases when seating. Also powder choice, I would move up the list a little and you may find 1680 to be your friend with your set up and that speed. Just thinking if it is sizing and as much that sits internally you may be smoking the tails off before it even gets to the pipe. "Ton of lead in my suppressor", what a about the bore? Sorry your sitting on all that 4198, any big cases and big boolits in the house?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Too small, too slow,,,,,,,
    Im not sure what too slow means, please elaborate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    With a low round count personally with this one, I would say first move is to confirm dimensions and that you are not sizing bases when seating. Also powder choice, I would move up the list a little and you may find 1680 to be your friend with your set up and that speed. Just thinking if it is sizing and as much that sits internally you may be smoking the tails off before it even gets to the pipe. "Ton of lead in my suppressor", what a about the bore? Sorry your sitting on all that 4198, any big cases and big boolits in the house?
    That makes sense. Ill measure some pulled bullets tomorrow. I guess I should re-measure the bore. I have some cerrosafe I guess I should do that tomorrow too. Im tired of buying jacketed bullets, and I want these to work. I have a pound of HH1680 I can try out. I have all that 4198 cause my 223s all really like it, my dads did too, and he recently passed so I got an extra 10 lb or so from him.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Every .308 bore I shoot takes a .310. I shoot the Lee 155 and the NOE 311-196 over 15.7 of Reloder 7 in the BO in the AR and CVA sngle shot pistol. With the 196 I initially tried 12.0 of 4198. My notes say "appears SEMI accurate". I believe there is good reason why the faster powders seem to make accuracy a little easier.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Puzzling if you have fast enough twist to stabilize the bullet. Your results on targets suggest not. 1:10 does not have the best track record with bullets that long. JBM says the bullet will be unstable at Mach 1, better above and below by fair margin.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Since you're shooting a bolt gun, I have a couple of suggestions as well. First, size to the throat. If you can't measure the throat, size to ID of a fired case mouth. Load as long as magazine and chamber will allow without touching lands and work up loads seating deeper until desired accuracy is found. Also, remember you don't have to cycle a gas-operated action so pistol powders will work very well and be much quieter than the magnum handgun and fast rifle powders you find load data for. 4ish grains of bullseye, clays, 700-X, red dot etc. is a very effective and VERY quiet load.

Boolit Master

I'm guessing you have a couple of issues. 1:10 twist for an unstable Boolit and leading likely caused by boolits sized down by the cases.

I have a 700 300 whisper with a 1:8 barrel. The boolits are sized 0.3095 and case necks are expanded with a 0.3095 M type expander. The springback allows enough neck tension and I don't have to worry about boolits getting sized down.

Boolit Master

I found with my softer allow I was unable to use fast powders with the 247, but thry work very well with the MP311410 with deep hollow point. The MP311410 weighs about 130 grains and I've been surprised with the penetration.

Banned
    Well, schnitzel! I didnt even think to check the rifling of that barrel. I got the gun in a trade deal and thought it was kinda cool so I kept it. (Although honestly its a pretty clunky thing, rem needs to work on some stuff)

I have tried unique in the gun, but found similar accuracy issues to what im describing with some 180 gr jacketed bullets. I have some 135 jacketed bullets I can try.

Also I hadnt thought about swaging the bullet down in my dies. I was running it through a lee factory crimp die, so that could be doing it. Opinions? Ill see if I have a bigger expander ball to throw on a die set. Also im gonna cerrosafe this thing as soon as the sun gets up good and get a plan together to get this gun shooting. currently it sucks with everything. But if its 1/10 my heavy bullets could be the WHOLE problem.

Banned
    The rifling is the 5r (whatever that means) 1-7. My AR is 1-8, Id think they would both like the heavier bullets. But I will try the light ones and see what happens. I have 3 days to monkey with it, so Im gonna!

Boolit Master

Do you have a 303 British or 7.62x39 die set to borrow expander from?

Banned
    When I was going through my dads stuff I saw something that said 303 brit. Im gonna dig around and see what I can find. Though it might have been a 311 lube sizer die.

Vendor Sponsor

I have 2 blackouts. 1 AR , 1 Ruger American . both are 1-7.
    Both shoot the Noe 311247 deep HP very well using 50/50/2 alloy (COWW/PB/HSB)
    Two great loads. 7.1 grs lil gun is subsonic
    10.7 (IIRC) lil gun gets me over 1425 fps
    I size both to 311 after powdercoating
    Expanding neck to 310
    Also found better groups when using crimp
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 11-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    A standard 300AAC die won't expand a case for a cast bullet. Its made for 308 jacketed. I noticed even my .311 expander for my mosin is still a bit tight for cast. I went and bought an 8mm expander and cut it down for .314. But recently switched over to the NOE expanders, they work really well.

As for your powder. Yea its good to use what we have, but being a bolt gun and not worried about cycling an action, look at the faster pistol powders. My mosin, which is 1-9.5, will launch the same bullet w 9gr of S1000, you would need considerably less due to case capacity. And it shoots really good groups. Mine are fitted to the rifle throat, touching the rifling. To long to even eject a live round. But they work really well. You will find using a can, less powder is always better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adanymous View Post
    The rifling is the 5r (whatever that means) 1-7. My AR is 1-8, Id think they would both like the heavier bullets. But I will try the light ones and see what happens. I have 3 days to monkey with it, so Im gonna!
    Well, something ain't working. What is your estimated velocity and alloy you're casting with? Are any of the bullets printing on paper tipped or sideways?
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Banned
    Well my throat is .3107, a bit big. My sizer is spitting em out at .311, and my die is swaging them to .309. So Im thinking I need a bigger expander ball and a bigger sizer die. What do you guys think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Well, something ain't working. What is your estimated velocity and alloy you're casting with? Are any of the bullets printing on paper tipped or sideways?
    Funny story about that... I moved to SC in July, in the move all of my lead of known alloy was "mis placed" by the movers, along with 10 lb of ingoted tin, 2k sierra match king 175s and all my nicer cleaning stuff. Youd think they wouldnt be able to forget where they put a milk crate full of lead ingots.

The velocity is sub sonic. Id chrono it, but like I said I just moved to SC and if you follow the news youll know it flooded here about a month back. I lost my chrono in the flood, along with all of my .22 lr (5 bricks) and every primer I owned..... Actually I dried the primers out and Im shooting them, they are mostly reliable. Only 2 failures so far out of 100-120 shot.

I did have one elongated hole in the cardboard. So it may have been tipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast