Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is building or buying a PID really worth it instead of a thermometer for lee 4-20?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    No, I don't want to run them at the same time. Sometimes I ladle cast from my 20lb and sometimes bottom pour from my 10lb pot.
    I built my PID controller so it's "convertible", as in, I can move from one furnace to another. The furnace plugs into a power receptacle that I put on the back of the PID controller box and the Thermocouple mounts to the pot, using a spring, just like a plain thermometer. That also allows placement of the TC tip nearest to the spout, where I want to know that temperature, moreso then elsewhere in the pot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I would highly recommend a PID. Mine is a separate unit. I read about them, ordered the parts on Amazon and built it. Dead simple if you don't overthink it. It keeps the temperature right on the money, exactly where I want it.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Buddy
    John B. ..That's the exact set up I'd like to have. So really all I have to do is buy the one I'm looking at on the auction site, add a receptacle to the controller for the furnace to plug in to and I'm in business.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Grand Master

To the original question: Yes.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Man, I want one sooner rather than later now...
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! Just ordered the PID with three TC's. Wonn't hurt to have spares. Also asked the seller if he had a receptacle that I could mount to the controller. Maybe he does, if not, I'll need to find one.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Moderator Emeritus

the hardware store has a variety of receptacles. A standard household duplex receptacle will work. I used a single one, as I had scrounged it from another device...as I did with most of the parts for that controller (except the PID and SSR and TC)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Changed my order method. I placed an order with forum member mgread for a complete unit. ( extra probe) it will have the plugs built in and will basically be a plug and play type deal. Rather give money to a member here than to a stranger on the bay. Mgread's unit looks sharp and he will paint to suit your color desires lol. I chose basic black. He will be building it today along with two others he's doing. Glad his business is doing well.

Changed my order method. I placed an order with forum member mgread for a complete unit. ( extra probe) it will have the plugs built in and will basically be a plug and play type deal. Rather give money to a member here than to a stranger on the bay. Mgread's unit looks sharp and he will paint to suit your color desires lol. I chose basic black. He will be building it today along with two others he's doing. Glad his business is doing well.
    That's awesome. His unit does look good. Please post some pics and review here after you have it running. After discussing with the wife I'm going to have deputydog put together a custom one for me. I can't move forward to after the 9th though.
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    WOW..forum member mgread ( Mark) is really good! He has already built my unit and sent a video of it actually working! Followed that up with several texts making sure I liked it. Looks great!!!. We spoke earlier on the phone and he asked a bunch of questions to make sure I got exactly what I wanted and needed. He even put the lid on the bottom for easy access to the innards since I'm mounting it under a shelf! I'm excited about getting it. Just waiting on the paint to dry and an additional TC to come in.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    For my penny & a half. I got a kit from James Connell aka Frozone at jconninv.com, I got two probes one for the lead pot & one for an old electric smoker. I will say this, it wasn't cheap.
    But this guy is a retired electrical engineer and I don't know what keeps electricity in the wall. (tongue in cheek) I got the kit put together in a couple of evenings after dinner.
    As everyone has been saying it is setting and forgetting, whether it is at 130° for the smoker or 700° for the lead pot, it will hold that temp ±5 to 10° and after the unit is trained
    it will hold the temp just about dead nut.

I don't think you will regret getting one.

Boolit Buddy
    Got my PID unit from Mread ( Mark) today. It looks awesome! Can't wait to get it up and running. Have to figure it out though..no instructions came with it. Guess I can google MyPin Series T and figure out what the buttons do. For instance, do I press the set button beffore or after setting a temp with the green arrows? What is the blue AT button for? Lots of learning to do.

Got my PID unit from Mread ( Mark) today. It looks awesome! Can't wait to get it up and running. Have to figure it out though..no instructions came with it. Guess I can google MyPin Series T and figure out what the buttons do. For instance, do I press the set button beffore or after setting a temp with the green arrows? What is the blue AT button for? Lots of learning to do.
    Call me

Time to build my third one...

Boolit Buddy
    Mark PM'd me. He forgot to include the instructions lol...He's emailing them to me. Awesome!

Here is a copy if anyone need a set.

Boolit Master

To set the temperature press the AT button. Hitting the AT button again will "move the digit to be selected". Press SET to lock those values in.

Hold the AT button down for 3 seconds or more and the unit will start to autotune itself. It'll quit flashing when it is done with the process.

Sent you a PM also.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123