RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Kudus to Pat Marlins

Boolit Bub

Kudus to Pat Marlins

I ordered a .225 PB Checkmaker from Pat Marlins. It took a while to try it out -- Pat recommends cutting your coke can material with a paper cutter and I couldn't find one in town (I live about 10 miles outside a VERY small town.) Today I had to take the wife to a larger town for a doctor's appointment, and found a paper cutter there.

After scratching my head and cussing a bit, I got the Checkmaker set up (I ain't the most mechanically talented guy on the block.) I got the strips cut, the disks cut out and started to make my first gas checks. And the ejector wouldn't work on my Lyman Spar-T press. The short leg of the ejector was too short and the shaft of the lifter kept missing it. The long leg was so long that the whole thing stuck out past the primer arm attachment, and would simply fall out at each stroke of the press.

I emailed Pat back and forth. Pat was patient with me and he finally told me the ejector is simply 3/8" keystock, available at any hardware store. With the knowledge that I could make a replacement if I screwed the ejector up, I measured it carefully, cut about 1/2" off the long leg and it works perfectly.

I spent the rest of the afternoon making teeny tiny little bottle caps.~

That in and of itself is worth a lot.

Pat and all his CNC stuff and customers still have to modify his stuff.

I had to modify mine too on a lee press.

Banned

Ha! ... oh geez..

Yes- with "all my CNC stuff" I only offer 2 styles of Ram Ejector Arms that work on most all presses customers own.

So for the off (my) list and not so common presses, we find ways to adapt and make it work.

Great Job Vern! ...

My customers know if they have any issues with their dies operation, I'm here to help them, and we'll continue to keep costs down.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow, this Retumbo guy has it out for you Pat! BTW, whatever his problem is, he probably budda'd up some stuff and didn't read the directions. Anyway, I DO like Pat's CheckMakers and will more than likely be putting in an order for a few more in January. Thanks Pat, always good stuff!!!!!!!!!

Actually I make my own now... and always have to laugh when Pat bemoans how hard they are to make.

BTW, I have said before he has decent check makers which make decent checks. I just copied the better design

Banned

You're just becoming my best gascheck Pal Retumbo, and look forward to your posts.

But you miss one point- making gas check dies are easy. Anyone with a bit of machining skill can do that and make their own dies.

Running a successful manufacturing company, supplying product to 1000's of customers over the years, keeping machines running, and provide accurate dies from one to the other consistently is a huge accomplishment. Earning a reloader's business reorder after reorder is as well.

Most people have no idea what that entails. Most that start find out fast and quit.

What can I say. I like your product just not the high school girl drama that is you.

Banned

I fully understand Retumbo...

Cast boolits used to be a place where guys could hang out. Share ideas... Support each other's projects and goals... and have fun discussing our hobby and sport... Truly respect the years of knowledge some members have had to contribute here...

I'm confident it still can be.

Hillary Clinton says "It takes a village"

Now It just takes one guy at CB ...

uh... got to get back to work... lol

Retumbo
    Read the thread again then, ask yourself which person posting on it sounds like a little high school girl. You should go start your own thread about how awesome your check makers are. A top notch tutorial about making them could be useful, what your contribution here in this thread has been is not.

I don't make checks but, if I was gonna I would appreciate the service Pat is known for.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

^^^^ this right here.

Boolit Buddy
    A fine gentleman Pat is, tho I think perhaps he worries too much about the trolls. I think it fun to bait them and wish he could enjoy this old-guy kind of mischief.

Pat's PB gas checks are a very nice item. Work like a charm; just like him.

The trolls get ugly too, not sure why but they do.

You know I bought a shelf - a canning jar shelf. Basic stamped metal, little holes for bolts and little nuts. 90* angle steel for legs. Half of the bloody shelves had NOT been fed square into the stamping press. The finish was pathetic and they managed to design a folded edge that actually blocked the hole for the bolt going though the folded edge. Mind blowing lack of quality for a simple basic product, backed by no one and nothing. Brand is carried in several big name stores, very popular I guess but not with repeat business I bet.

My point is here on the other hand we have a discussion of a well made product, made here in the US of A by a person that cares about the quality and providing good customer service. This to me is what I was brought up to think of as having good character. Bad mouthing this person for not being someone's favorite design, or maybe for doing something not "all that hard for a competent machinist". Which is sort of like saying not all that hard if you have a large amount of money invested in equipment and space for the equipment, and knowledge of how to use it. Sort of like saying hitting the x with a pistol at 100 yards ain't that hard if you have a good gun, the right ammo, and plenty of skill developed through practice.

To my way of thinking about the only bad thing you can say about a business that makes a product that works as intended and as advertised by someone that stands behind their work is "I prefer a different brand, flavor or color" Otherwise you basically are saying more about your own character than you are the manufacturer when you bad mouth them.

From what I see the two guys that build and sell check making equipment don't trash talk each other, maybe that is because they know what it takes to make that business a success so they have more respect for each other than folks that don't know any better.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

Well said RogerDat
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Well said RogerDat
    I agree!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Can' we all just get along
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I will (hopefully) be purchasing one of Patmarlin's products to go with my new NOE 60 grain .223 mold after Christmas. Looking forward to it.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Bub
    I have 5 of Pat's Checkmakers for gas checked bullets in rifle calibers

Have 3 handgun caliber Checkmakers for gas checked bullets on order

I am well satisfied with his work and product

Any time that I have had a question about me not understanding something, he is quick to respond and get me back on the right track.