RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Keith vs. WFN for accuracy

Huh!!, non linear or keith to lbt lfn design. Guess what boys if it hits where your aiming and your happy that is all that counts. If you shoot at game within the distance that is mentioned as your max range who cares about something being non-linear it's a moot point if you will never take a shoot beyond that distance. AS for Lil' Gun she gets a bad rap. If it shoots great and everything is looking good, don't worry your not going to gas cut the ole girl in half!!
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    if it hits where your aiming and your happy that is all that counts. If you shoot at game within the distance that is mentioned as your max range who cares
    Charlie
    Charlie, no disrespect meant, but that is one HUGE 2-letter word....IF. If my Aunt was built different, she'd be my Uncle! Yes?

At least my motivation for posting the original question, and the plenitude of replies, my naive take on what has been posted, was it was all about "IF NOT"...hitting where you feel is Minute-of-Deer at 100 yard or in.

I don't expect rifle accuracy, but humane accuracy. My foolishness wondered if there is a base of live data that one type bullet (LFN vs. Keith) is inherently more accurate in a production revolver.

what I learned makes me feel rather foolish:... like an adult diaper, it depends! So there is no keyboard route to find out till I go OUT and SHOOT my gun with my current bullet and load at longer ranges incrementally (beyond my test groups at 25), then play with other loads/powders and if after that I STILL have poor accuracy, start trolling for new boolit design. And then start over!

Is that a fair assessment of what's been shared???

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Bet that's hard to find a holster for, huh?

Ooooooooooooohhhhh aaaahhhhhhhh, a holster!!!!

Darn, I just picked up a range bag for that setup.

[IMG][/IMG]

Gee Forrest--- if you can find a lid for it, you'll have a seat while you wait your turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Rompin Ruger View Post
    what I learned makes me feel rather foolish:... like an adult diaper, it depends! So there is no keyboard route to find out till I go OUT and SHOOT my gun with my current bullet and load at longer ranges incrementally (beyond my test groups at 25), then play with other loads/powders and if after that I STILL have poor accuracy, start trolling for new boolit design. And then start over!

Is that a fair assessment of what's been shared???
    Yup.
    Anyone can tell you what works for them in their gun. Only you can find out what works for you in yours.

And with that...I bow to the reality that there is no one profile boolit more accurate then another in revolvers... because...it DEPENDS!

Another project for "later..."

An example of what if was Dustin Linebaughs Grizzly hunt with a handgun. Short barrel. Plenty powerful. Planned on 100yds or less. Long story short ended up taking one shot at 183 yards and got his Griz. He had the equipment, the load and most importantky the skill to take that shot and make it.

My guess is he practiced at long range - a lot! Me... I have not had enough practice to take a shot at a deer at half that range offhand. I might...one day. But until then a man has got to know his limitations.

Amen, Markbo!

When I hunted a lot with the .44, I belonged to NAHC...and their rag had a handgun editor, a Hal Swigget, I believe, who recommended 1000 rds/mo to hunt ethically with a handgun. I religiously shot that much and it showed...I had the place to go shoot woodchucks and targets and handloaded and cast my own for the .44...also had a local boy who had a side (now full time) biz selling cast boolits in varied calibers... Primers and powder were obtainable and affordable...

Now, the eyes aren't so good so my hunting rigs wear glass. I'm nowhere as strong in the core as then so off-hand is likely out... I'd want a tree or limb or something to rest on to take even a 50 yard shot at a deer! Glass helps with bad eyes, but makes motion worse!

With components nearly impossible to find cheaper, and moving to a new state, I have to find places to shoot...

So I was trying to "cut corners" to see if there was validity in what I read... and some apparently still embrace all that varied profile stuff... but for me, it'll be to see what MY gun will do...then go from there.

Been a great learning thread...and I am indebted to all who posted. You either made me think hard on things or challenged me to do more research.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234