Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Just order a load master today

Boolit Buddy
    I been thinking in the lee load master looking at the 9MM set up
    I was going to order one last week from amazon I think 255.00 with free shipping and a 30 day money back no question ask if I can't seem to get it to run smooth.
    I am not new to reloading I been at this game 45 + plus years
    I would have purchased a used dillon b press but found out changing out cal. can be expensive thee guy wanted 325.00

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf5347 View Post
    I been thinking in the lee load master looking at the 9MM set up
    I was going to order one last week from amazon I think 255.00 with free shipping and a 30 day money back no question ask if I can't seem to get it to run smooth.
    I am not new to reloading I been at this game 45 + plus years
    I would have purchased a used dillon b press but found out changing out cal. can be expensive thee guy wanted 325.00
    I love my Load master. I seat down and did everything the book say. Step 1,2,3,4.

Then I just each station at a time u till it was set right. Then added powder and primer. And I was off to the races. I have load over 2000 round in a 3 days on and off. And I have shot about 450-500 and everyone shot right. No stovepipes, no misfires, no nothing. Out of all 2000 I have 4 bad primer. On my part forgetting to keep an eye on the primer tube. So after that it been good.

Boolit Buddy
    Only thing is lonewolf5347, it's a good idea to either use a universal decapper on station 1, and a 9mm decapper without the pin on station 2, or else just use two decappers. From what I've read and learned from this thread, the shell plate is made for both 9mm and 40 cal, so it means the 9mm case has too much wiggle room. You'd think Lee would make a dedicated shell plate since 9mm is so popular. The case wiggle about in the shell plate seems to cause a lot of the issues with priming. The decapper in station 2 centers it and makes priming easier. The other solution is to put wire spacers in the shell holder to tighten up the case. Magic Mike's got a description on his website.

I don't load 9mm so I don't have the issues others have had. So far with 38's, 45 acp, 45 colt, and 44 colt I've never had any real problems that were not self induced, mainly running out of primers.

Also, I deprime off the press. I've got a hand deprimer that I use for everything, just sit and watch TV while popping the primers out. Then I wet tumble with SS media, it gets the cases clean inside and out. The clean cases seems to help make the progressive presses run smoother as well. I started this since I shoot a lot of black powder and it tends to gunk up the primer pockets. The LM is not a touchy as the pro-1000 about dirt, but it's a good idea to run as clean as you can. I used to run a Pro-1000, when new it worked great, but then got to acting up pretty bad. A tear down cleaning and it was working good again. The issue with it is the primer station is rite below the powder drop station. The LM moves that over one stations and the lower internals are a lot simpler so less to gum up.

As for caliber changes, I don't think there's a progressive out there that swaps calibers as fast as the LM. It literally takes 5 minutes. If your changing from large to small primer it takes a bit longer to adjust everything though, that's why I wound up with two LM's. Also it's pretty cheap to change calibers. I'd looked at a Dillon 650 and while it's a nice machine, it's about 5 times the cost of a LM, and the set up is more time consuming. Not to mention caliber changes are expensive. If I ever settled on just one caliber to load, say 45 acp, I might consider the Dillon, but then again I've had very very good results with both my LM's so probably not.

Well put

Quote Originally Posted by will52100 View Post
    Only thing is lonewolf5347, it's a good idea to either use a universal decapper on station 1, and a 9mm decapper without the pin on station 2, or else just use two decappers. From what I've read and learned from this thread, the shell plate is made for both 9mm and 40 cal, so it means the 9mm case has too much wiggle room. You'd think Lee would make a dedicated shell plate since 9mm is so popular. The case wiggle about in the shell plate seems to cause a lot of the issues with priming. The decapper in station 2 centers it and makes priming easier. The other solution is to put wire spacers in the shell holder to tighten up the case. Magic Mike's got a description on his website.

I don't load 9mm so I don't have the issues others have had. So far with 38's, 45 acp, 45 colt, and 44 colt I've never had any real problems that were not self induced, mainly running out of primers.

Also, I deprime off the press. I've got a hand deprimer that I use for everything, just sit and watch TV while popping the primers out. Then I wet tumble with SS media, it gets the cases clean inside and out. The clean cases seems to help make the progressive presses run smoother as well. I started this since I shoot a lot of black powder and it tends to gunk up the primer pockets. The LM is not a touchy as the pro-1000 about dirt, but it's a good idea to run as clean as you can. I used to run a Pro-1000, when new it worked great, but then got to acting up pretty bad. A tear down cleaning and it was working good again. The issue with it is the primer station is rite below the powder drop station. The LM moves that over one stations and the lower internals are a lot simpler so less to gum up.

As for caliber changes, I don't think there's a progressive out there that swaps calibers as fast as the LM. It literally takes 5 minutes. If your changing from large to small primer it takes a bit longer to adjust everything though, that's why I wound up with two LM's. Also it's pretty cheap to change calibers. I'd looked at a Dillon 650 and while it's a nice machine, it's about 5 times the cost of a LM, and the set up is more time consuming. Not to mention caliber changes are expensive. If I ever settled on just one caliber to load, say 45 acp, I might consider the Dillon, but then again I've had very very good results with both my LM's so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by will52100 View Post
    The other solution is to put wire spacers in the shell holder to tighten up the case.
    This works extremely well and solves the 9MM case centering issue. A very light case lube will help 9MM also even with carbide dies and everything else on the press just pumps out cartridges. One handle pull/one cartridge. I have loaded several thousand 9MM so far but I decap (on a LM with one die in it, a Lee Decapper), SS tumble then load with station 2 empty and station 1 with sizing and decapping just in case I missed one somehow.

GD

Boolit Mold
    Ive found no need to tighten up the shell plate on my LM, 1000 rounds no issues that I did not cause.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgread View Post
    Got any picture of that
    Here's a link to the items I purchased. Your local plumbing supply ought to have the split ring hanger. The company was American Valve and the item number on their plastic package was 30143, their name for it was a split ring hanger:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Note: I picked it up with some other stuff I was ordering from Amazon.

Here is the roller knob:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Note 2: This may be available at your local hardware store, like an Ace Hardware.

Note 3: The threads did not match up perfectly due to both items being made in china. I used a 3/8" Chinese tap & die that came with a kit from Harbor Freight to chase the threads on the hanger and the roller handle. But if you buy local, you may find they fit together without needing to be chased.

Note 4: I also threw away the slotted machine screws and used small bolt/nuts with the nut on the opposite side from the roller handle to provide clearance.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for you. The nice thing is, you can reverse it for whichever side works best for your reloading setup.

Boolit Buddy
    a quick fix for your sore hand, till you do a roller handle, is just cut the end off an old sweat sock and put it over the handle.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Glad you got your LM up and running. I need to do the same for my PID.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Master
    I use a weight lifting glove. I also bought the bigger wooden ball from Mike, lots better. I am interested in the roller handle.

Only thing is lonewolf5347, it's a good idea to either use a universal decapper on station 1, and a 9mm decapper without the pin on station 2, or else just use two decappers.
    I used an extra powder die I had to locate the case at #2, worked fine.

I get all the part and I'm thinking of making a lot for sale. Let me get it working and then oppose a video of it.

I have load well over 5000 9mm and love ever min -(my learning curve Failures) can say enough about titan reload. Ever question and every part I have order they been on it.

One more question does anyone know the out side diameter of the LEE 5 hole turret. I'm trying to build a new LED light setup. And I'm talking to a friend that make custom lighting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mgread View Post
    One more question does anyone know the out side diameter of the LEE 5 hole turret. I'm trying to build a new LED light setup. And I'm talking to a friend that make custom lighting.
    What are you thinking of doing, just curious? I had initially thought about dropping a light in at the top but after installing MM's billet turret and stabilizer plate, I ended up just getting the Hornady stick on LED strip and putting it on the inside edge of the front of the press then tie wrapped the cable at a convenient place. Seems like it was only 15 bucks, hard to beat. I'm tickled with how well I can see in the cases and see what is happening. Just curious..

Just order a load master today

Did some add on to the load master. I was able to add shovel handle. Led light and a camera to be able to watch my primary and powder level

Last edited by mgread; 02-29-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Boolit Master

Now that's a handle

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789