Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: What mold for .223 heavy 62 - 75 grain ?

What mold for .223 heavy 62 - 75 grain ?

Have a 1:7 twist Mini-14 in .223 and am starting to look for a mold, NOE has a 60 grain copy of the Saeco 221 mold and a 70 grain copy based on the Lyman 311299 mold.
    Any recommendations? I'm thinking the 70 grain is the way to go but it is a much rounder nose than the jacketed bullets.

Also debating PB vs GC while I'm sure I want to have GC but I am wondering if PB's would be worth having just for plinking or to eliminate the dependency on having GC's and the associated cost. Hoping to hear from someone that has used either of the two molds listed or run PB cast through a Mini-14.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

NOE offers a good selection of .22 molds

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

NOE is the molds I'm looking at, I was just hoping someone that has used the two I'm considering (especially in a fast twist mini-14) could provide some feedback. Sort of expensive to buy both to figure out which is better. Even though it is a coin toss given that every firearm has the potential to have "personality" conflict with any given bullet or powder. Or be flat out demonically possessed that can only be exercised with the exact trinity of mold, alloy and powder.

Boils down to 60 gr. or 70 gr. and is a mold that can cast PB worth having since it does not need GC or will PB just be an epic fail at .223 velocities that cycle the mini-14.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

I have the NOE 72g, its same as the 70, but larger .228" for my 556 chamber.

Im getting 1.5" groups at 100 yds with DIY gas checks, powder coated and lubed with MML+. Running at about 2200fps out of a DPMS AR-15.

Inly issue i have is being so tight to my chamber, i cant seat to magazine length or the nose jams into the riffling. Seated deeper there is no issue and accuracy improved. This also puts the gas check below the shoulder, but seems to cause no issues. The 60 would be shorter and likely gas check would be contained. But I wanted a heavy rnd being it was going slower.

See my other posts for specifics.

I ended up with the NOE 225-RN-GC 70 grain. Figured for a 1:7 twist it would be the better choice. Have yet to cast any... Picked up a .314 200 grain for the Enfield and started casting with that mold. Maybe over the holidays I'll have a chance to cast and load some .223 if I get some gas checks.

Been giving some real thought to just buying a GC maker rather than dropping the $28 on a bag of gas checks just put that money toward buying the tool and material as a long term investment. Have to wait a bit longer to shell out the larger purchase price but it is more efficient use of funds overall.

Roger Dat:
    I've had good luck for several years now with Gator Checks. Far as I can tell they are just as good as a Hornady check. Sometimes I think better. But that's just my opinion based on little more than touchy feely and good long range groups. NOE Bullet Molds has 22 caliber for $20 per thousand. I think you can still buy them direct with a link here on this site. As frugal as I am that's just hard to beat. I do have one of Pat Marlins 30 caliber check makers. It's still not free to make your own. With the little 22's I'd just cringe at setting up those little dies. Besides. Between my grandson and I last summer. We went through 800 22 cast bullets in my 222. Then had to shoot a few hundred J bullets after I ran out. I'd like to get well over a thousand in inventory over the winter. Well winter is half gone and I've not started. Then there all the other calibers. Like my son in law that could use 500 or so 200 grain cast bullets for his 300 BO. Maybe four thousand rifle bullets her in the next two months before spring and farming starts. So If I was going to use made in house gas checks I'd need to have them already finished up. If I spent the time I use doodling on this forum. Making checks. I'd have lots of gas checks made up. But I don't. Some of my lack of enthusiasm ahs to do with the act I spent my working life in metal shop and machine shop. Thus no thrill to making my own checks. I will agree. Time spent making checks is better than time in front of a TV. But then I'm far from getting my bucket list finished.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Ha! That comment about shop work took me back. Yeah there is something to what you say about the thrill of making a pile of parts might be dimmed just a bit after a few years doing it for a living.

It is odd but there was a time when having a thousand rounds on hand was a big deal, now I tend to think in terms of "unlimited" as being a good goal.

Probably worth $20 to find out. And Merry Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Did I understand it right ,NOE sells cast 22 bullets,would be nice to try some out.

No but 22 gas checks

Boolit Master
    Thanks I was hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Thanks I was hopping.
    Once I get set to cast I could send you some. Or there is a forum for asking to swap or whatever for some of a cast bullet to try. If you did not want to try 70 grain or PC & tumble lube.

Boolit Master
    Very kind of you , but not sure I'm ready to try cast into 223 yet .

Home made gas checks are easy to slam out lots in no time when you get it figured and have proper material.

My 22 NOE mold with my alloy likes to cast mold temp at about 450, and alloy at 720-750F

Same as gas checks, easy to slam out hundreds when you get it going.

I started casting for 223 so I can afford to fill my backstop with shots from my AR all day and not cringe at the cost of ammo. But I enjoy the entire process.

Boolit Master
    Yes I'm shore you can get a lot more shooting in with cast .I have been casting for my hand guns for about a year , and have probably went through more ammo in them in a year than my previous 30 years. But have not started on the long guns yet. gas checks seam the easier way to cross over from jackets to cast for me. But still trying to finish up some projects for now.