Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A pistol for the wife?

Boolit Master

A pistol for the wife?

Would you all like to recommend a pistol for the female side of shooting? I would like a lightweight .22 or .22 mag pistol that could be used on the range as well as for personal protection. Easy to carry concealed.

I went to the gun show and bought a SCCY 9mm. Good gun, it works flawlessly with the right ammo, but has too much recoil impulse. I looked at the .380's that were there and most of them are too small to even control well.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this project as it will probably not get shot too much. Thanks for all of your help.

Boolit Buddy
    If you get a small, easy to conceal gun you'll probably up the chance of it not being shot much. Even a compact sized gun can be unpleasant to shoot for a beginner.

How about taking her to a range where she can try out a variety of guns. I've found that newbees are far more comfortable shooting a full sized service gun and will then shoot far more often.

Once she gains shooting experience you can move down to the compact and sub compact models.

Just a thought.

Does it have to be an auto? I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 in .22LR
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Over the last couple of years I've purchased the 1911-22 pistols made by Chiappa, GSG, and Colt/Walther. They are lighter weight than the 1911 because of their alloy frames and slides, but are very reliable and accurate. Lots of fun, and would probably fill your requirements. There are a couple of other brands as well, but most of them are made by GSG and are the same pistol with a different name stamped on it. Of the three, I think I like the Colt/Walther the best. The Chiappa does not have a grip safety (but it's still a fun gun!).

Boolit Master
    A cylinder full of 22 mags is a pretty good self defense gun for a lady, very little recoil & simple to operate. A S&W Shield is a small, narrow 9mm that many ladies in my handgun class like very much also.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Take her along for the purchase and final decision making. She will shoot and appreciate it more if she was part of the process in selecting it. You may narrow down the selection process, but be ready to deviate if you get to the shop and she wants the one with the fancy lettering, or pink grips.

Boolit Buddy

I took my wife shopping for a handgun and she left the store with an 2.25" barreled SP101 in 38 Spl +P. She likes the little gun and it fits her purse. I bought it for her when the children were young and I traveled alot for work. We kept taking the shooting class at the local police range over and over until she could handle the weapon very well.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Boolit Grand Master
    Women view the world and most things in that world differently than men do. Subjective factors weigh more heavily in their assessments than in judgements made by males. The two sexes are wired a little differently, and though I've helped raise six daughters to healthy and successful adulthoods I have no "Key To The Castle" in which their insights are stored away.

That said, the best way to teach any new shooter is to present an overview of the choices possible "out there", then have the new shooter find for his or her self what works best for them. A rental range can be a big help. When I've been asked to assist in these choices, I advise the student to look for an item that feels good in the hand(s)--points naturally--and is easily controlled in firing, with the idea of a defensive choice having recoil at the upper end of the shooter's ability to control same and NOT exceed it.

This isn't rocket science. Look at what has been popular over the long haul, and weigh that against your shooter's "needs calculus". The 38 Special in revolvers and the 9mm in bottom-feeders form a fair consensus among the ladies I have taught, as have mid-sized platforms of a given genre. My girls REALLY LIKE Glocks, the 19 and the 23 in particular. Younger shooters aren't put off by that design's "mud fence" aesthetics. Another good choice is the Ruger SP-101 in its several calibers, from 22 LR to 357 Magnum. As a woman's gun, the SP x 3.1" x 32 Mag/327 Federal would ROCK. Lots of ammo intensity choices right there, from docile to DOGMATIC. The far more common SPs in 357 Mag span the spectrum from wadcutter 38s to Federal #357B (125 JHP @ 1400 FPS or so). FAR SUPERIOR to any of the S&W J-frame 357s, in my view. If one can be found, perhaps the best ladies' sidearm ever made was the late-series Colt Detective Special.......6 shots, just the right size, +P-capable, and VERY well-made. This--and the Python--are among the best products ever birthed at Hartford.

Just my musings on the subject.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

That said, the best way to teach any new shooter is to present an overview of the choices possible "out there", then have the new shooter find for his or her self what works best for them.
    This ^ I don't know how many pistols and revolvers my wife shot before she picked out what she wanted but is was over 30 for sure.

in the end she picked something that I would not have considered but as they say in the car business "there is a seat for every butt."

Moderator Emeritus

Al gives really excellent advice. In my experience teaching a number of women how to shoot, I've found that the biggest factor in getting them to place their bullets well, is that the gun simply fits their hands, and feels comfortable in shooting position for them. That seems to trump all the ballistics mumbo jumbo that may be held by either of you. Only hits count in a gun fight, and if she's really not going to shoo that much, then it's doubly important that the gun fit her hands, and feel comfortable and point naturally for her.

In real life scenarios, women may forget to use the sights and just point it instinctively. Knowing this ahead of time, you can help her pick a gun that does this best. As long as it's reliable, that's the most important factor in her choice.

My daughter in law has dainty little hands, and simply can't get comfortable with a gun that fits me well. Sure, she can get the trigger pulled, but where the bullet will go in so doing is rather hit and miss, literally.

Al's observations about the feminine mind's workings are very good, too, and it's pretty essential to keep your instruction as simple and goal directed as possible. Let THEM decide how they naturally want to use it, and don't interfere as long as it's a viable process. They also respond, at least from what I've found, to questions very well in the process. Before making a statement, preceed it with a good question, and let her see how you're reasoning so she can get and absorb the greatest benefit of your instruction.

Then, just act really casual and confident in her abilities, and she'll likely respond by taking it all casually, and thus, her performance may well beat YOU! Don't laugh! All the women I've ever taught were very good shots with minimal instruction. Just make sure they wear hearing protection, because that always, with both men and women, makes them react (flinch) much moreso than the recoil. Many if not most of the women I've taught have reacted saying "Oh! The kick really isn't that bad!" when they were started out from the beginning with ear muffs, and often plugs too. It's amazing how much difference that usually makes.

Don't get too didactic, and keep it fun, and she'll have fun with it too, not to mention pay attention better and absorb more. It's really more about getting them to feel comfortable and confident than it is about getting them to perform like a match shooter. As long as they can hit a man sized K-5 silhouette target with good, center mass shots at up to 15 yds., she'll be likely to survive an assault, IF she keeps the gun very handy, and for that, there's nothing that beats a CCW permit. NOTHING! At home, keeping it unloaded in a lock box keeps it useless unless she gets enough time to go get it, open the lock and take it out, load it and cycle one in the chamber if an auto. That's a lot of prep work to expect of anyone in a dire situation. Just doesn't make sense. If local laws mandate such, getting a CCW allows her to carry inside the house. Most don't like this, but it makes sense if you think about it. Elmer Keith used to put his .44 on with his pants, and wore it all day long. It can be covered with a light sweater or jacket so any easily "offended" don't have to see it, but anyone THAT sensitive probably isn't much of a friend to start with, really, are they?

Biggest thing is to get a gun she likes and feels comfortable with, and tends to point naturally for her. If she's happy with the gun, she MAY wind up shooting it a lot more than you anticipate. Stranger things have happened, many many times.

Boolit Master

mine liked her 9mm auto but had a hard time controlling it, somewhere she got the idea that only "auto's" were for defense, she would not even try a reel gun, then one day I got her to shot my little 357mag reel gun and she had a lot better control. now I custom load for her, light for general plinking, snakeshot for pests, and store bought for defensive carry. the 357 mag is very versatile in that you can get store bought 38's that don't have much kick or you can do store bought magnum rounds with good stopping power.

I have taught several women to shoot the Smith K frame revolver in 38 Special. Starting with mild target loads and working up to service loads. The weight of a K frame is well within a woman's hand strength, yet has enough weight to hold down recoil. With a revolver they don't have to load magazines, rack slides or worry about safeties and other press down thingies. Grips can be fitted that will accommodate any size hand.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

why not let her pick? Would you let her pick an important gun for you?

Boolit Master

Let somebody else teach her to shoot!!!!!!
    Then if possible rent different guns till, SHE finds one that feels good in her hands.
    Roger makes their LCR in .22lr through .357 mag. But as I stated let somebody else teach her to shoot. Less stress for both parties.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know if this will be worth anything or not. About one year ago my wife got me back into shooting, we went to the store and bought a few handguns. I picked out a S&W 9mm for her, she didn't like that since it hurt her hands and she needed pink gloves. I told her to get used to not using the gloves since she wont have time to put them on if in a sensitive situation.

Since she didn't like that pistol I got her a Walther Pk380, she doesn't like that one too much because she gets scared if it jams and she cant pull the slide. I keep pointing her to the S&W 500 so she can just show it off and not use it hahaha. To make a long story short, just like BorderBrewer said the S&W 30spl +p is what my wife likes too. She loves that gun, now my challenge is to get her to walk with it on her belt. Again she is scared so she keeps it in her purse (what if someone steals your purse). I guess this is a step up from being scared of walking with it at all to in your purse, maybe next step is the waistband.

I think most women like the 38 spec since its small and they don't have to worry about jamming and being strong enough to slam the slide open if it jams. In the end have them choose whatever they want since they are the one to use it, if they want the pink one then then by all means (my wife wants a pink one too).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    (sic)

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this project as it will probably not get shot too much. Thanks for all of your help.
    How much do your value your wife's life? IMHO a cheap gun that won't be shot much is the worse possible choice for self protection.

The proper tact is to spend the time and money to find a gun your wife is comfortable shooting and spend the time and money on ammo, range time and classes so that she will be competent with the gun.

The challenge with women shooters is their hands are smaller and weaker then a man's so a gun that feels good in your hand likely won't feel good in her hands and a heavy trigger pull or slide spring that is no big deal to you may make the gun unshootable for her.

Boolit Master
    Actually, my wife is a pretty good shot. We have a Ruger MK1, GP100,Ruger P89DC, Bretta Neos,1911, Ruger Blackhawk .45. They all are just 'too heavy' and 'too big'.
    I did look at a Bersa Thunder, and a Walther PPK/S today as well as a Beretta. I believe that Taurus makes a Beretta clone as well, but didn't get a chance to look at one.
    You are all right, she needs to pick one out. I am not afraid of a wheel gun, but I think that that choice will be hers. As far as teaching her about shooting, your all right about the third party teacher. I love that idea!!!!
    I realize that a .22 is not a great defense gun, but putting even .22's on target is better than a miss with a .45. The lowly .22 has killed a lot of game over the years and I would not want to be on the receiving end of one!

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have taught several women to shoot the Smith K frame revolver in 38 Special. Starting with mild target loads and working up to service loads. The weight of a K frame is well within a woman's hand strength, yet has enough weight to hold down recoil. With a revolver they don't have to load magazines, rack slides or worry about safeties and other press down thingies. Grips can be fitted that will accommodate any size hand.
    Char-Gar, you got that right about the semi-autos. My wife shot my 1911 one time, and even after I warned her and showed her how to keep the thumb out of the way, the slide bit her. She will not shoot an auto now for love nor money. Use a j frame Smith and don't load 'em hot. You do not need a bazooka to stop bad guys, all you need is the mindset to use what you have in your hand.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

S&w m 317 (22 lr) 3"

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    my wifes favorite pistol is her Kimber Super Carry Pro 45acp 1911. her second favorite is probably her Colt Defender 9mm 1911. Most women like the 1911 style pistols because of the trigger.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast