Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Sort of a knife

Banned

Sort of a knife

I have been looking for a small hatchet. I don't want to deal with all the China made BS that is out there. I am hoping that I will be in better health next year and that I will be able to go out Trekking for a little bit. So I am in need for a small hatchet.

I have seen these Swiss Army surplus hatchets out there. I know the Swiss are known for excellent steels.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these axes? I know I will have to sharpen it.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    The Swedes have the reputation of having some of the best steel. The Swiss buy their steel. That's a nice hatchet but I'd want a little bit of a swell or knob on the handle to help hold onto it. Maybe just a little curve in the handle as well.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-23-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like this one. Mine has a leather sheath.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-1...E24A/100351736

Banned

Yep them are the little hatchets that I am looking at. Well, I ordered so we will see when it gets here. I know the Swedes have some of the best steel there is. But the Swiss use the best they can find. Look at the K31's and K11's.

Its going to be more for kindling and around the actual camp use. I have a for more larger cutting task.

Banned
    When I was a kid my dad had a "miner's" axe. Bigger than a hatchet and smaller than a full sized axe. It was too big for backpacking but it was perfect for "car camping" and small chores around the house. Wish I had it now!

Banned
    This is waaaaay too expensive and clearly marketed at suburban wanna-be's but it is a good design. Light, compact and a well shaped handle.

http://agrussell.com/knife/2278

Banned

Well the hatchet showed up today. Looks exactly like the one in the pic above. This thing is really nice! It is a little big. But I like the heft of it. The head was on solid. But it was about as sharp as a spoon. So if you get one, plan on sharpening it.

I went to the basement and mounted it in the vise and went to town on it with some files to get an edge started. Then out came the oil stone and honed it down till it could cut paper.

I went outside and chopped up a mulberry bush. Then I went and split some pear wood into kindling for the smoker. Not very much but enough to smoke some pork steaks for a couple hours.

My grip is not as good as it used to be. I have been very weak for the last couple years. I may slim the handle down a little to get a better grasp on it. If you have bug hands then this will not be that big a deal. Or are young enough to handle it.

I would reccommend getting one of these if you need a smaller axe. For the price it is great. $28.95 to my door on evil bay. I might get a couple more to just put back for another time.

Banned
    What's your opinion of the steel used for the head?

Banned

It is not as hard as an old Plumb hatchet I have. It feels like the steel on my Fiskars hatchet I have had for over 20 years. Only a little harder.

Banned

Doing a little research and it looks like they were made by Hults Bruk/Hultafors, as well as Gransfors under contract. So they should be made very well.

Playing a little more today, I think it may need a different handle. The balance is off. I feel it needs about a 19" handle. I am going to re profile the handle first to get a better grip before I tear the handle off.

Banned
    It could use a bend in the handle and a knob on the end like this.

Banned

Thats what I was thinking

Banned

Well I have been hitting up antique stores trying to find some things I like. Most seem to have been left out side and drug down a gravel road for about 100 miles. So, my other have said to order what I wanted for Christmas.

So this is what is sitting in customs right now waiting to be delivered.
    http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Pr...ll-Forest-Axe/

Boolit Bub
    Wow, they are great items but with those prices for the Gränsfors axes I'm surprised they seem to be so popular.
    I think I paid little more than a quarter of that in my local hardware store.

I ground of a bit of the angle of the beard closest to the handle on the hatchet BTW, makes it much more comfortable to choke up on.