Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought an M1 Garand

Boolit Master

Bought an M1 Garand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0003 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	153988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0005.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	153989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0003.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	153990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0004.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	153991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0006.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	153992I recently got my hands on a very nice M1 Garand. Shoots very nice (all reloads, of course). Man these things are fun! It was originally in a collection (reason for the 2012 date) and apparently had not been fired much by the collector-- if at all. It still had the yellow armorers tag on the trigger group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture0008.jpg  
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Garands are good rifles. Don't use too slow a powder with full power loads, port
    pressure can be too high and damage a VERY expensive oprod.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Being a special grade I believe means that the rifle was rebuilt by the CMP and is in effect as close to new as you can get. The only problem I have with M1's is taking enough ammo with me to the range

Boolit Master

Love mine! I've got several 50 Cal. ammo boxes full of these for when the mood presents itself:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124612466.j4oowjhQ.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	154004

I think I fell in love with the Garand in 1954. When I retired 55 years later I bought one. What a joy. Its rough on the rims of brass but there are several people at my range who shoot them and don't reload. They're more than happy to let me pick up their brass. Be sure to keep that gas plug tight - I finally started using a bit of silver anti-seize grease; stay away from commercial 30-06 ammo not made for the Garand; never exceed 2,750 fps. In fact, I get better accuracy between 2,300 and 2,400 fps with the 169 grain Sierra MatchKing. Experimenting with a cast bullet now.

In Remembrance

Hornady offers factory loaded ammo for the M-1 specifically.Robert

Boolit Master

Congrats Hick!

You didn't tell us which armory or factory made it. We can probably help you with the history if you tell us that.

Now that you've caught the Garand bug, consider reading a few good books such as these and you'll enjoy your rifle even more.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    What a great U.S. Rifle and round, you won't be disappointed, keep it well oiled.

Greased!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Owning both M-14's and Garand M1's I think the Garands are more accurate!

This is really an apples to apples comparison as my present Garand is chambered in .308!

There was a story one time about some robbers that were going to hit a place and figured it would be easy as it was just an old man with a beat up Garand!

Didn't work out to well for the robbers as I remember it!

I believe EVERY head of household should own a battle rifle!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Congratulations!!!
    Now to the bad news, the one you got is so pretty you will not want to shoot her.
    The good news, it gives you a reason to get another Garand to be your beater and range gun!
    At least that is what happened to me, The CMP sent me a perfect matching '54 HRA so the next year I asked for an older gun figuring I wouldn't mind wearing out one that has already been around the block. Well, they sent me a '42 receiver with a '43 barrel and it is by far my favorite firearm to load and shoot for, it whispers sweet nothings in my ear when we are on the firing line.

Now I NEVER shoot that well, but got lucky and that was an example of how my day went last week, sometimes the stars actually do line up. that is a 8 shot group at 50 yards using a 220 grain slug and IMR4895.
    -Tim in Rip City

Boolit Buddy

You can buy an adjustable gas port that helps with reloads. Takes the pressure off the op rod and damage to the brass.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the great feedback-- I'll try to answer all the questions.

The Garand is H&R. #5613279-- which I think puts it in about 1955 for manufacture. The receiver, bolt, barrel, op rod, trigger group and other parts that have drawing numbers all match the published H&R data for that time period, along with H&R stamps. The barrel is date stamped 10-54. It has the CMP stamp, but I haven't been able to figure out what was replaced-- unless it was the stock (certainly not the barrel or receiver).

Thanks to all the threads I've read I already knew to watch out for 30-06 commercial loads. Right now I'm loading 47 grains IMR4064 with a 150 grain FMJ/BT and getting 2650 fps. That load seems to be working well without beating the rifle too much. I haven't trid cas

Owning more would be fun-- but I've bought two rifles this year and I think I've stretched household good will about as much as I can at the moment.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Congratulations!! ... and welcome to the Club!! Only problem I ever had was "trying" to stop buying them ... just can not resist ... My first was a CMP Special --- then more just seemed to follow ...

Since this picture was taken, another IHC has been added!! Can not stop!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Captain 03,

You are a man on a mission!

Nice collection.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

captain,
    looks like my one gunsafe, 10 garands including a M1D, thinking of taking one of my harvesters to perry next year

Man.. I really want one. Such a beautiful match of wood and steel...
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    Man.. I really want one. Such a beautiful match of wood and steel...
    Same here, think we can talk Captain-O3 outa one?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Mold
    I haven't been able to figure out what was replaced-- unless it was the stock (certainly not the barrel or receiver).
    When the CMP sold the service grade specials they were made from basically New rifles that had been returned from Greece. The Greeks had removed the stocks, presumably to replace worn out/broken stocks on other rifles. The cmp replaced the stocks and stock hardware. They were said to be collector grade rifle with replacement stock.
    Congrats you can't get a much better M1 than that!

Excellent score - congratulations!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast