MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Made the prefect shot but wrong deer!

Made the prefect shot but wrong deer!

Day 2 of our season here in MI setting in my blind on Bois Blanc Island. About 11:30 had a big doe with her fawn come out on the skider trail. After making up my mind to fill my doe tag. As I get ready to shoot she steps off the trail into a Small clump of spruce. I can still see her moving and figure when she gets to the next opening she,s mine. She steps out Boom! NOE 368-286 cast out of Lyman#2 lube with Carnauba Red goes about 120 yds and thru the ribs. Hit one rib coming and between two going. A 40 -50yds death charge and down. I also see 2 flags going thru the brush but there where just2 deer??? Set for a few minutes thinking I saw her go down why two flags? Was it two flag? Well out of the stand and walk down find a blood trail that would be hard to not find. At the end is my Fawn! All I can figure is this one crossed before I saw the others. Oh well the shot was prefect and the meat well be very tender.

Don't feel bad if you like smoked hind quarters you're in for a treat. A full size deer just doesn't have as much flavor as a young one does.

Vendor Sponsor

I didn't have any meat at all one year and I took a little one for meat, a whole ham fit in the crock pot and oh yeah it was tender and freaking delicious too! Better than veal, better than a yearling doe/buttonhead.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

The MI deer season has been good to me, never seen rut activity this strong for this long. I did the same thing once, watch hung a fork horn through the scope, something spooked them. Four of five deer kind of scattered and came back together, found the fork in my scope could just see his head neck and antlers broke the shot, walked up on a yearling button with a hole through his neck, dot know how it happened but sometimes it does.

Boolit Buddy
    I once watched a real nice 11 pointer (that I saw many times during bow season) walk down into a honeysuckle thicket about 80 yards away. I watched for any movement for 20 min or so when finally I spot the top of a rack moving through. I brought up my muzzle loader and waited for an opening. The buck stopped with his shoulder just barely in a small window..... BOOM...the shot felt good. After waiting 20 or so min I went down to find blood. I heard some leaves crunch and look over to see that 11 pointer 30 yards away starring at me. I thought to myself "what did I shoot" well it was a small and tall racked 8 pointer. Oh well, he'll tast better anyway.

Boolit Master

If you haven't already cut up the shoulders, bone them out so the meat comes off in one big piece, cover generously with your favorite spice mix roll, tie, and grill. The big ones are tough but the small ones are hard to beat!

Boolit Grand Master
    man Silver your makin me hungry
    nice job on the deer even if it was the wrong one
    you still didn't go wrong
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    nice deer. still taste yummy!!!

Banned

Wife always says "did you kill another dog?"
    She never complains with the fork in hand!

Boolit Master

My mouth is watering.

Boolit Master
    I think anybody who has hunted meat has had a similar experience. As the other guys said, should be good eating.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

Meat on the table and brass on the loading bench, life is good!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Meat on the table and brass on the loading bench, life is good!

I like that