Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max step to load?

Boolit Master
    Oh absolutely! That is a lot of the fun...While its been said that you don't have to put the rifle on half-cock before opening or closing the action, the manual that came with the rifle specifically says to do so...so I guess I will.

I still have not fully mastered adjusting/using the Kelley Soule sight set I've put on it. It's incredibly beautiful and matches the rifle well.

I'm left eye dominant so single shot rifles really tend to work for me. However, it's still a bit of a pain that the gigantic hammer of the Sharps is on the right side of the action. I really like the center hammer of the Winchester 1885 or Remington Rolling Block much more for functionality. However, the side hammer has them all beat in how attractive it is.
    [

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Oh absolutely! That is a lot of the fun...While its been said that you don't have to put the rifle on half-cock before opening or closing the action, the manual that came with the rifle specifically says to do so...so I guess I will.
    While not quite as protective of owners, I have a strong affection for fine guns and would never provide advice that I thought might cause damage to one. I came to believe the half cock practise is unnecessry for the Pedersoli Sharps while reading thoughts on the subject by Lee Shaver ... a well-known shooter and single shot gunsmith who provided the factory authorized warranty work on Pedersolis in the USA.

With his belief in mind, I set out to learn (by observation) from the master in the world of the 1874 Sharps rifle.
    Yep, I watched Quigley Down Under about twenty times. I think the only time Matthew put the hammer at half cock was when he used his Sharps to knock down a log, to activate a 'clothes-line trap' for some following horsemen.

None of this will probably impress your thinking, however there is one thing you may want to guard against.
    (and, here again I am thinking about the well-being of the rifle)
    It's perfectly safe to dry-fire your set triggers in order to get accustomed to their operation and feel.
    However, do that with the hammer fully down.

When locked in the half cock notch, the sear cannot move to absorb the impact from the set trigger as it releases ... which causes the connecting surfaces to take unnecessary battering.

I still have not fully mastered adjusting/using the Kelley Soule sight set I've put on it. It's incredibly beautiful and matches the rifle well.
    You might find this helpful.

Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ummm.. Missing step: extract and remove fired case? Do I get a prize?

... never mind.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Nope...you're right. The cases do not eject. You have to pick them off the ramp. So that's what? 8 steps now?
    [

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually you are correct. There are eight steps in the sequence of operations for every gun that uses fixed and semi fixed ammunition, from the simplest .22 or break open shotgun to artillery and naval gun mounts, except blowback operated ones. The variance is in how the steps are accomplished.

Step 1. Feeding
    2. Chambering
    3. Locking (omitted in blowbacks)
    4. Firing
    5. Unlocking (also omitted in blowbacks)
    6. Extraction
    7. Ejection
    8. Cocking

Feeding can be as simple as manually introducing a cartridge into the breech, or as complicated as loading a projectile and powder charge into an electo-hydraulic mechanism three or more decks beneath the gun mount. Some where in the middle are box and tube magazines and belt-fed small arms.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12