Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: I got a stuck bullet

Boolit Master

I got a stuck bullet

That is what I heardwhen a friend called me a couple days ago. I said it is ok we can getit out. He said no it is real stuck! I said how bad can it be. Hesaid it has been loaded for 20 years! I am like and now your worriedabout it? The gun is a TC hawken 50 cal.

So I fire up theendoscope and look down it.

I thought nowsomething looks odd here. I ran the rod down the barrel and it lookedlike it was too far out to be seated to the powder.
    He was very vague onfacts so I decided to lean to the side of caution. I first tried air. :surrender:

That wasn't going towork. So I dug out my kit and got out a grease zerk. Well my greasezerk would not work with the TC breach plug. After I got it seatedthe fitting on the pump would not go on because it was too close. Sodown to the Napa store I go and get a 1/4x28 1" long. Well I putit in and gave it a few pumps. It was tight as Heck and the pressurereally started to build. Then pop, it gave and started down thebarrel. I hooked the air back up and out she came. This is what cameout. I have it in the picture just like it came out.

In this next pictureyou can see the ball better but it was flat. The flat side is theside that was sticking out.

It was right at themuzzle so I screwed in the ball puller and pulled it the rest of theway out.
    I cleaned out thegrease and scrubbed it good with a brush but it was super rusty inthe breach plug/breach.

I then pushed abrush into the breach and scrubbed it. Then I used JB bore paste andput 200 strokes down the barrel.

I pushed a wad downthe barrel with the endoscope to get more light in the barrel to seethe sides better.

Most of the barrellooks okay for being treated like **** for the last 20 years. Theplug and breach is another story. He is going to have to work on itsome more. Either that or sell it to me. :thumbsup:

I think for now hewill be able to shoot it and I think it will probably shoot fine.

This is the measurement of the bullet that I took out. That doesn't look right but it is the one that came out of it.

Thanks for showing us!

Dam nice job

Boolit Master
    535 round ball driven home with a 10 pound drilling hammer?

Banned

Was there any powder under that ball?

Boolit Master
    Triggerhappy, I think you hit the nail on the head.
    dondiego, yes there was powder.

Boolit Master
    Ron, I gave a friend a whack on the head with a rifle once for being an idiot. You might try this with your friend. It didn't help mine, but it sure made me feel better

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Ron, I gave a friend a whack on the head with a rifle once for being an idiot. You might try this with your friend. It didn't help mine, but it sure made me feel better

Boolit Buddy
    So what kind of endoscope did you use? I need to pick up an inexpensive one...

Boolit Master
    I can't find a brand on mine. If you look in Amazon look for one that has a mirror hook up to see sideways. I wish mine had that.

Boolit Master
    That sure came out clean!

Boolit Master

you do good work. always nice when you can save a gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    I can't find a brand on mine. If you look in Amazon look for one that has a mirror hook up to see sideways. I wish mine had that.
    I probably have the same cheapie endoscope as you! My plan for that was to find a make-up case or something like it that has a plastic mirror in it, cut out an ovate piece of mirror and take a piece of brass hobby tubing that fits the end of the scope, cut a window in the brass tube and insert the mirror piece in the brass tube at approx 45 degrees and glue in. The whole deal should slip over the end of the endoscope and be friction fit. The nice Snap-On unit I had used had a mirror that was just as described as above but it threaded on as it was built with that provision. I have everything I need but the plastic mirror and then I can make one. I have a lot of other projects on the burners right now so its not a rush thing.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

curious what bore scope you used. I had a cheap ($8) scope from ebay that hooked up to the computer but it was extremely crappy so I just ptched it!!!

Boolit Master
    I can't find a maker on it. Sorry.

Banned

great job on both accounts, ron. the beauty of a caplock is its serviceable nipple. flinters are a diff'rent story and why all of mine have been prepped for breech plug removal.