Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: How do you bake long bullets?

Boolit Bub

How do you bake long bullets?

How do you folks bake your PC'd bullets that are long for caliber, e.g. 200 gr. .308 bullets? Do you just dump them on a tray, do you try to stand them up, do you use a fixture or jig, or ???? I've PC'd pistol bullets by standing them on the base, but tall, skinny bullets fall over too easily.

Boolit Master
    I put the non stick over the rack and run my finger down the area between the bars of the rack making a slight indentation. Then just lie them in the indents so they don't touch each other.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Insert the GC shank down in the holes created by fender washers (of the correct hole size) under NSAF. They do not fall over. Works for ESPC and BBDT.

Then, if needed, I put the Cu GC's on after that.

For 223's I do the "groovy" thing as mentioned in #2 above.

banger

Stand them up, with hemostat and move very slowly and carefully to oven.

Vendor Sponsor

15 minutes at 400 degrees
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Get a 3/8" or 1/2" thick aluminum plate sized to your oven and drill holes to fit the gas check shank. Cover with non-stick aluminum foil and stand the bullets up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5mmPCtray 003.jpg   6.5mmPCtray 002.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Sized for the gas check shank. Great idea!��

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That is exactly what the fender washers do without the expense of the plate or all the drilling.

banger

Yup, the aluminum plates work great for me. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Get a 3/8" or 1/2" thick aluminum plate sized to your oven and drill holes to fit the gas check shank. Cover with non-stick aluminum foil and stand the bullets up.
    I'd also like to add that I use a steel lazy susan under the plate when spraying ESPC. It allows me to spin the plate while coating for better coverage. I connect a grounding wire to the base and clip the ESPC gun ground wire up to that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RED 35whelen 005.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I'd also like to add that I use a steel lazy susan under the plate when spraying ESPC. It allows me to spin the plate while coating for better coverage. I connect a grounding wire to the base and clip the ESPC gun ground wire up to that.
    I also use a rotating aluminum plate for spraying. I just have to remember to release the foot pedal before grabbing the plate to turn it. I forget at least once per session

I stand them nose down in an alum. plate. Also keeps the nose diameter down. \ Gas checks on.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150207_172414.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	153947I use a nu-wave oven. These are 38's but I do 230 grain 308's as well.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I put the non stick over the rack and run my finger down the area between the bars of the rack making a slight indentation. Then just lie them in the indents so they don't touch each other.
    This is how I do it also. You can not tell where they were laying on the non-stick foil. Look great, work great.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I have just been careful when moving the tray when it comes to the long bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Try this for rifle boolits down to .22. Collect plastic cartridge trays with square grids that come with boxes of 50 hand gun cartridges. 40 cal. works for .30-.277 size boolits, 9mm or smaller plastic trays work for .22 size boolits. Sand off the bottom of these trays with a belt sander, or cut off with a band saw, careful that your fingers don't get in the way. Place these plastic trays with no bottoms onto a flat bottom oven tray lined with NSF or parchment paper. It is best to use oven trays with out bad bows in their bottoms. Place powder coater boolits into each of the grids of the trays with your hemostats. Move your trays to your oven and place the trays on the oven racks that have already been slid all the way into the oven. Carefully lift the plastic trays up off the boolits, being careful not to knock over the boolits, close the oven door very gently. This may take a steady hand and a somewhat level oven. It works, this is how I stand up my coated rifle boolits in my oven.
    Last edited by KennethF; 11-24-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added some text

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I have had good success with a light dusting of powder and swirling in lacquer thinner. Stand em up on a silicon tray to dry, and bake around 15 minutes once up to temp.

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    This is how I do it also. You can not tell where they were laying on the non-stick foil. Look great, work great.
    I just did my first batch like this and the boolits look so much better than the shake and dump method but I can still see where they were laying on the foil. Havent sized any yet but it looks like my new way of doing rifle boolits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151228_162030.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	156676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151228_164100.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	156677
    Last edited by typz2slo; 12-28-2015 at 11:10 PM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I am going to try what another member was fine tuning awhile back pop riveting cases to his tray and setting the bullets in the cases. Just spraying the bottom end of the boolit leaving the nose area clean. I am having a problem with my 220gr 30 cals in my 300BO. To get my bollits to expand at the slower speeds they are being fired at I am casting them soft, The problem now is the bullets swell when sizing so I started sizing nose first. And you think I have it fixed then NOPE when seating the boolit the soft lead with the neck tension will swell the nose so slightly a few of the rounds will not chamber in my AR. Yes I know the lead is way to soft if that is happing but if there is no leading and they shoot good as the harder ones do I will have a round that will mushroom into a very large killing chunk of lead.
    But until after Jan 1 all PC casting and reloading is on hold I got to fill the freezer as much as I can to last the year.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon