Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Head Shot Buck

Head Shot Buck

This is the third time I was able to get out hunting this season with my .50 Hawken using 80gr of goex topped with a lubed mini ball. Well I guess third time is a charm.

It was foggy in the hills and all I had seen were a couple of doe heading in the opposite direction. I was about disgusted with the conditions and was headed back and almost to the truck when in the mist looked like a figure in the trail. It was a buck with no regard for me, he just kept walking slowly away. I fast walked quietly to close the distance to about 60 yards and gave the buck a kissing sound. At the time the buck had presented me with the old "Texas Heart Shot". I really didn't want to gut shoot and risk a painful death but with the kissing sound he stopped and presented a quartering away shot I figured I would aim for somewhere behind the shoulder. With a boom and a cloud of smoke the deer laid where had been standing. What the heck, why didn't he run. Then I saw the wound. Head shot.

an unrelated note: It was the first time I had caught one of these Ringtail cat. Too cute, I had to let him go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.JPG   007.JPG   001.JPG  

Boolit Master

Well it might not be the spot you aimed for but it looks Like he's down for the count. Nice buck. Where did you catch the ring tail?

The ringtail was here in Southern Oregon. They are considered fur bearers but I don't have the fur bearers license. I trap mostly for them "chicken eaters"; skunks, foxes, possums and raccoons. I also caught our ***** cat for the second time last night. My father always gave the captured cats a free cold shower with the garden hose to insure a lesson learned and no repeat customers. It always worked.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a wooden arrow. Do you know if it was a field point or a broadhead? Good job putting it out of its misery. I see you tagged it. Could you tell if it had a fever? Some years ago I shot a very nice buck but when I gutted it it seems warmer than normal and the fat was yellowish not the normal white. When I skun it all the fat was yellowish. It had a wound in the hindquater from a fight with another buck.

The arrow is a welding rod showing where the mini ball entered.
    The buck was like most the bucks I have taken. Usually no more than 2-3 years old and always very little fat. It is a Black Tail and don't get huge like mule deer and white tail. I did take a 4 by 4 a few years ago that scored 140 according to the taxidermist. He said it was a once in a lifetime buck and I should mount it. I was just there to sell the cape. Money in better than money out for something that just hangs on the wall collecting dust.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks I totally misread that!!!!! Nice buck

Nice buck!

Cool little animal too!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    The ringtail was here in Southern Oregon. They are considered fur bearers but I don't have the fur bearers license. I trap mostly for them "chicken eaters"; skunks, foxes, possums and raccoons. I also caught our ***** cat for the second time last night. My father always gave the captured cats a free cold shower with the garden hose to insure a lesson learned and no repeat customers. It always worked.
    you may not want but if i catch a house cat in cage trap I give him a dang good shaken (hard) before i dump him out then you wont be bothered catching him again it improves there memory.

Nice! No wasted meat there!

This reminds me that I once head shot a spiker that was so close, I had trouble seeing what I was looking at through the 2 1/2 power scope on a H&R 58 cal. As he walked further away, I finally found his shoulder and fired. I hadn't realized that the angle away was much sharper, now. I hit the shoulder, it went out at the neck and into the back of the head and the 505 gr minie ball exited between the eyes. Almost a Texas head shot!

I've not recovered a .58 minie ball from two deer and an elk. The big slugs sail right on through and ruin very little meat.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn