Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: muzzleloader "purists "

Boolit Buddy
    Wines, single malts, Buckskin Bill (Last of the Mountain Men) or just wear your jeans and shoot what you got and remember snobs and "experts" are not invulnerable, they have the same body functions as the rest of us. Smile and walk away!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Oh great, now correctness over how we speak and converse over muzzle loading!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Oh great, now correctness over how we speak and converse over muzzle loading!!
    no, not at all.

it's about sharing and helping in a positive manner, with rendered opinions based on one's experiences, then leaving it up to the rendered party to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    single malts,
    Dang, I know it is early, but a good triple of Glenfiddich 12 sounds like it would hit the spot right about now.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy
    If one wants to go trapping around the woods with there flintier or other side lock that's fine with me, heck they can wear buckskins britches and a coon skin cap for all I care. Me I muzzle load hunt due to the lack of people in the woods at that time and my game laws say I can use an inline with covered ignition, sabots and a 1x scope so I do. I want to get the most bang for my buck. I also own a couple more traditional types of muzzle loaders, even shot a deer with one back in the day and I would still be hunting with them if I had to but since I am in it for the hunt and not the tradition of muzzle loading I shoot the best I can. I also wear modern clothes and boots as well. I'm all in with the modern crowed, no possible bag, plastic speed loaders, rubber things that hold 209 primers and aluminum ram rods. If the fish and game changes the rules about scopes this year like they are talking about and I can have more then a 1X scope on my rifle I will be the first in line to get mine down at the sporting goods store.

Guys are always crying about archery and muzzleloader seasons are supposed to be primitive, well I didn't make the laws about what gear could be used and if it bothers you that much maybe its time to start an origination to bring the traditional back into the primitive seasons because most states are far past primitive at this point. Until then I will be shooting my inline.

Moderator Emeritus
    Some people just have the need to promote their own self importance.

That only works when people give cognisance to it though.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    I believe it's because the "spirit" of the primitive season (with its associated equipment) has been corrupted with "modern" equipment so some can hunt for another two weeks with scoped rifles and cross bows.

I don't care for the modern in-line stuff. I prefer the more primitive and historical stuff. If you want modern, buy a Remington 700 .30-06 and be done with it. Harvest (slay) your food more efficiently if that's the game.

There is purity of purpose with the use of the historical tools like a flintlock and caplock. I don't think anyone is trying to "portray themselves better than others". They may be attempting to enlighten users of more modern equipment to try the older equipment and enjoy the discipline in its pure form.
    ^ Absolutely and historically correct about how and why most of the original "primitive" method big game seasons were established by the States. The current status of the technology and politics of the special interest groups has sadly gone way beyond what anyone agreed to or even envisioned when those regs were established.

…. I'll get into trouble if I say more.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just know what works best. I have seen far more ruined inline rifles, than I ever have traditional guns. Generally due to fake powder.

I helped draft the ML laws for Montana around 35 years ago. I don't think anyone involved even knew a modern inline existed, if it did at that time.
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-20-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Hannibal you , might look at Track of the Wolf's website . They have books & rifle kits in all styles Most of the " expert" builders use manfactured parts ,this is not new. alot of the old guns had locks imported from England . We had factories making barrels in this country around 1800. Pick a style you like ,study some pictures of the old gunsmith's work and go to it. There is a far amount of leeway with in each style. No two old guns were the same, even from the same smith. Use quality parts and build it the way you want it. The snobs don't have to like it.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

About hunting, just my narrow minded minority opinion but it 'pears to me that there shouldn't be any muzzleloading deer season. A time set aside for hunting with arms that do not use caps or primers? Yeah, that would be a tweaking humdinger. The reason I say that is a percussion rifle with a strong fast twist barrel is just another single shot. It's more trouble to load than a Handi but what else is different?

This has a 16" twist.

It shoots these paper patched.

What's the difference between that and a 40-60 Winchester except not having a lever on the bottom?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    About hunting, just my narrow minded minority opinion but it 'pears to me that there shouldn't be any muzzleloading deer season. A time set aside for hunting with arms that do not use caps or primers? Yeah, that would be a tweaking humdinger. The reason I say that is a percussion rifle with a strong fast twist barrel is just another single shot. It's more trouble to load than a Handi but what else is different?

What's the difference between that and a 40-60 Winchester except not having a lever on the bottom?
    the difference is nil. i agree - why bother even having a muzzleloading only season if the spirit of that weapon has been corrupted into a deformed hybrid that acts far more like a cartridge single shot?

Once more with my narrow minded minority opinion, to me it's just whether the individual is accepting the handicap or not. But, one thing is certain, any time gubmint makes a goofy set of rules it is the nature of human beings to flow around it. If caps and primers were banned then electric ignition would become popular!

Boolit Buddy

According to Merriam-Webster:
    Full Definition of HYPOCRITE

: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
    hypocrite adjective

A great example would be someone who drives an automobile to the range to shoot his flintlock, which is made of modern steels and loaded with "holy black" that was made in a modern factory with modern equipment. Then drives to his modern home and gets on his modern computer and logs into the internet to lambast people who don't do things the historically correct way.

Come on people! get real!
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    A great example would be someone who drives an automobile to the range to shoot his flintlock, which is made of modern steels and loaded with "holy black" that was made in a modern factory with modern equipment. Then drives to his modern home and gets on his modern computer and logs into the internet to lambast people who don't do things the historically correct way.

Come on people! get real!
    what's missing is the word "spirit" - the reason for re-enactments, rendezvous', and basically keeping alive the ways of olde tymes in the information age. that's a good thing, over all. but to precisely live today as one did in the 18th century borders on insanity. and yes - to say that one's way is the "correct way" is ludicrous.

Why try to explain why? You ether get it or you don't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master

I think purist is the wrong word, it should have been snob.
    Yes, snob. It doesn't matter what you shoot, rifle, pistol or shotgun, or any subcategory in each discipline.
    Let's take rifle, because it is the subject here. You have these subcategories;
    22lr
    Center fire, and this can be divided up in it's own subcategories.
    High power
    Bench rest
    Black powder cartridge
    Muzzle loader-caplock, flint and inline.
    Hunting rifle
    I could name more, but I think you get the picture.
    Everyone who shoots whether hunting or target is a snob in his area of discipline. You feel, at least for yourself that you have fallen into a nitch and you are comfortable where you are and are not about to change because it is something you do well and for most part you're a snob.
    I know this, because I'm a snob. In the realm of my shooting, I shoot handguns and varmint rifles and could care diddly about a shotgun.
    Most people are just like old dogs, weren't not willing to get into any new tricks or patterns that upset who we are.
    Purist? No just snobbish.
    Last edited by Hickory; 11-21-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    The states will do most anything to increase revenues, so the inline approvals are just a concocted excuse for generating more of said revenues.

With that said, if one is more comfortable using an inline to obtain more time afield, then by all means, do so.

But I also sincerely believe there will come a time when the antis will declare with the inline's efficiency for hunting and etc., there is no longer a need for cartridge guns.

Boolit Buddy

My point is that you can take anything to extremes. That doesn't give you the right, or duty, to criticize others for not doing things your way. I think that it's wonderful that there are people who want to dress up in period appropriate attire and use period appropriate replicas for historical reenactments. Most of us don't do that. I also think that people shouldn't have to put up with a lot of static for doing things their own way, as long as it's safe and legal and doesn't hurt anybody else. If you claim that something that you are doing, or using, is period authentic and it isn't then you can expect correction. But you shouldn't be held to a revolutionary war buffs standards if your objective is to provide venison for your family. This mess is just another symptom of the current political correctness age that we live in. People seem to have the idea that they are somehow authorized to run other people's lives because they can do it so much better than the people themselves. I'm just not playing that game! Of course, this is just my opinion, and worth every penny that you paid for it.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Banned

it should always come down to respect for one another. that will eliminate any manner of purist snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    Hannibal you , might look at Track of the Wolf's website . They have books & rifle kits in all styles Most of the " expert" builders use manfactured parts ,this is not new. alot of the old guns had locks imported from England . We had factories making barrels in this country around 1800. Pick a style you like ,study some pictures of the old gunsmith's work and go to it. There is a far amount of leeway with in each style. No two old guns were the same, even from the same smith. Use quality parts and build it the way you want it. The snobs don't have to like it.
    And in my case, this is what I have trouble understanding. As there wasn't a set 'standard', even among the same gunsmith, I don't understand how 'authenticity' is evaluated. It seems some parts were imported, some made by the gunsmith, but mostly seemed to be governed by availability.
    I'll keep looking and studying. Maybe I'll get it sooner or later.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast