• Remington 7400

6 11.76%
  • Remington 750

1 1.96%
  • Or something else I didn't think of

35 68.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy new semi auto 30-06 hunting rifle!

Want to buy new semi auto 30-06 hunting rifle!

I have done my research and looked here as much as i could. I hunted with a semi auto for the first time and realized the advantages of a semi auto 30-06. So what would you get and why? Remember I have a budget of around 500$

Thanks

I would save another $500 and get a Browning. You won't be disappointed.

well i would like to buy a nice BAR how ever with buying a house and a set of 5 month old twins money is a bit tight, i was hoping to stay around the 4-500$ mark

Boolit Master

If you can't afford a Browning, get the most recent Remington auto you can afford. Remington has been tinkering with the design since it was introduced in the 1950's. My first rifle was a 742 in 30-06, and it did a fine job on deer and elk at moderate ranges. Downside of the 742 is it is not the most robust rifle, and it will break down a lot sooner than a comparable bolt action. There was a thread here a few years ago about rebuilding worn out 742s into straight-pull bolt actions.

Although I liked my .30-06 Remington 7400 Satin, I loved the .30-06 Browning BAR !

BTW - If/when you ever decide to divest yourself of an autoloader, the Browning will always be saleable (quality counts, here).

Any Remington will be virtually un-saleable at anywhere near half of whatever you pay for it.

Most gun dealers will refuse to even take a Remington in trade, because they usually have one or more that have had birthdays in their inventory (sellers ask big $$$, but never actually get the big $$$).

Last edited by pietro; 11-18-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I worked at a small town gun shop and the owner would only allow minor repairs to be undertaken on the Remington's. Never had or allowed one in the sale rack. Brownings were another matter.
    Chill45100

Boolit Bub
    I have owned a 1982 7400 since my father bought it for me at Christmas. I have had zero problems with it and have about 1000 rounds fired. I now use bolts but I borrowed it out to others who have no complaints.

Boolit Master
    I realize you are asking advice on a semi-auto. sounds like you have your heart set on one. I'm curious why not a bolt gun. Outside of a really fast follow up shot, what difference does it make.( oh crapola,that's what Hillary said), Better let me rephrase that.You could get a bolt gun for less money and still have cash left for a decent scope. And they are more accurate too.

Boolit Master
    But if I had to buy a semi-auto, I would buy a brand new one, be a remington or a browning.

Yep BAR. If not that then a 742.

Boolit Grand Master

BAR for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    well i would like to buy a nice BAR how ever with buying a house and a set of 5 month old twins money is a bit tight, i was hoping to stay around the 4-500$ mark
    At 4-$500 you are going to be limited to the used rack for a decent auto loader. I don't know of any new semiauto rifle for that price worth buying.
    For what it's worth, I bought my eldest son a 30/06 Ruger American topped with a vortex 3-9x40 scope for just under $500. It's the best inexpensive hunting rig on the market in my book.
    If your set on an auto and not in a hurry, keep looking, there's a lot of old 742's out there. You'll find something.
    Good luck.

The 742 is still bound to the 2710fps limit.
    Unlike the 740 (now 7400) pump which has the Weatherby style bolt lugs which are like a bolt gun, and you can shoot whatever thought them.

and the BAR is better than both of the Remmies, and costs a tad bit more
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Perma-Banned

Had'em all...and the BAR is the only one that I will own, now.

Boolit Master
    I know this is a bit over your $500 limit, but how about a M1 Garand? They're great rifles, shoot well, and will do the job. The downsides are the price is a bit over your imposed limit, and they need slightly lighter pressure ammo than some of the commercial hunting '06 loads develop. But since you're here on this forum, I assume you load your own, so that isn't going to be a problem for you.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

+1 on the m1 garand. Not that much more for a field grade.

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Boolit Master
    The OP is looking for a hunting rifle; if it's gonna be scoped the Garand will limit his choices. Not to mention the weight!

Bide your time and save your money. Shoot what you already have and remember that if you need a "fast follow-up shot" you prolly should not have fired the first one.

Boolit Master

Just keep saving and eventually get a BAR. There's a good reason that Remmy auto's sell so cheap used and BAR's are always more expensive. You get what you pay for and this is a big one.

And before you poo-poo the thought of waiting and saving, I did and I'm sure glad I did.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How about a Remington pump or Browning BLR lever action? Almost as fast and much more reliable.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I hunted this year with a M1 Garand and that's what made me decide on a semi rifle to me it was a great comfort to know I have a very quick follow up shot if needed and if not needed then I don't lol.

Check out this post from hunting with CBs

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nd-Kills-again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast