RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9x19 load to hot for Tec-9?

9x19 load to hot for Tec-9?

I bought a Tec-9 a couple of weeks ago and have been shooting it with my standard 9mm load, and managed to break the operating handle. That seems like a sign that my loads are too hot for this pistol. The load is 4.2gr Hogdon Titegroup under a 124-125 RN or TC powder coated booliit sized .358". I have been with this load a long time. It does well in my CZ75B, G17, and BHP, but have never had a 9x19 pistol with a blowback action. I realize that this load is heavier than the max 4.1gr charge recommended by Hogdon, but that load gave me only 980fps average in my other 9mm pistols, so I increased it to 4.2grs for just over 1000fps. Brass slings about 5-6 feet form the Tec-9 with this load. Pretty obvious that this load is too much for this pistol, but I thought I would run it by you guys for opinions....DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would definitely back it down to 3.7 grains or so. Titegroup builds pressure fast and blowback actions just can't handle increased recoil like a locked breech can. The Tec-9 is not a particularly strong design and parts are getting hard to find for it. I would just enjoy it with mild loads and use the other pistols you mentioned for serious work.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I take it it is a 5" barrel. Not having owned one but reloaded for the 9 quite a bit with ja-ullets, you might want to switch to a medium burn rate powder up to blue dot. It sounds as if the TG load is peaking alittle to quick for that style of action. I personnally like Bdot in 9mm but that may change here getting into cast boolits for all handgun calibers.

Greg....I like your blue dot idea. I think I have some. If I am going to change the load, I might as well try a different powder while I am at it.
    Yep, the Tec-9 is a lot of fun. I have spent some extra money on this one mounting a really bright green laser and an extra side grip on it. I have been clearing my steel plates well with it. Parts are still available from Numrich and a few others, but I do realize that a blowback action is a different ball game and might require different loads.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."

Boolit Master
    Pure blowback does change things. The British used a bronze bolt in the Sten for the suppressed version and its special ammo. They tune them for a specific amount of recoil, more will throw the bolt back harder. But it was also an open bolt weapon, designed where when fired the bolt never actually slammed home, it fired as it was nearly shut, then threw the bolt back before it actually touched the receiver. Tec9 is closed bolt so won't work exactly the same. Probably an issue with simply converting an open bolt design to a closed bolt.

I do not know if the tec 9 has any sort of buffer in it, may be something to look at. It was probably recoiling harder and hammering the cocking handle against the receiver. And you may also look at some new recoil spring or springs, it may be over compressing them with the loads you had been using. Plus they get worn out from use.

I would go with a middle of the road powder like Unique or similar, probably closer to a factory 115gr FMJ loading. Blue dot tends to work when there is pressure so heavier loads. Your going to want to replicate a factory 115gr load.

Yep this one has a buffer that looks almost new. I have replaced both the recoil and striker springs with new. Looks like I just need a softer load maybe with a slower powder. Too bad, because I have over 1k of this lode made up....DanM

Boolit Master
    Its usually best to try a load, before making a pile of them. Worked with a guy who went to town on his progressive one day only to find out they would not cycle his pistol.

I like to keep at least 1000 45acp and 9x19 loaded at all times....DanM