Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Need some help with a winchester 1873

Need some help with a winchester 1873

I have a Winchester 1873 in 22 short rimfire. I'm finding that information on this rifle configuration is in short supply.

The problem is it won't extract the case. Looking at the extractor and bolt, it appears there was once a spring that fit into the slot on the back of the extractor, but I can't confirm that. And I have no idea what that spring might have looked like.

Do any of you have any experience with this gun? The bolt and extractor are not the same as on a center fire version.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151114_112539487.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	153506

Boolit Buddy

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1148.htm

"This is the extractor for the Winchester .22 cal 1873 rifle. This is the one piece extractor. Note: some of the 1873 .22 rifles had a two piece extractor consisting of the hook that actually did the extracting and a small spring. Use p117 pin to hold extractor into bolt."

Still looking...

Thanks John. This is way more information than I had up to now. I wonder if the one piece extractor would work with my bolt. I can't imagine there would be two different bolts for 22 short. Looking at my extractor, I suspect I have the one with the spring.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea. I'm kind of swamped at work, but if I get a chance I can do a little more checking around

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Boolit Master

Seen several one piece extractors but never a two piece in the 73. The extractor also opens the dust cover. Most of the carrier blocks could be adjusted for 22 long also by moving the shell stop back to the next hole. There were a few that had an arm to adjust for short, long and long rifle. Also some in takedown with a taper pin going through the frame and lower part of the barrel ( no barrel threads). A lot of problems with mis-fires do to the firing "pin" being two little ears on the front of the breach block. The forward toggle link had elongated holes so the breach block could be driven forward by the hammer to fire. Not one of Winchester's better ideas.