Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Prairie Dogs in Colorado Anyone?

Hunting Prairie Dogs in Colorado Anyone?

One of the things on my Bucket list is to go on a Prairie Dog Hunt. My cousin says he will take me if we can find a place to hunt for free. Has anyone gone to Colorado to hunt hunt Prairie Dog and maybe hunted the public lands. Need all the help we can get. I have already contacted the Colorado lands and they have sent me some maps and information

I am sure you will do fine southeastern colorado ,northwest texas and southern kanass will all have large dog towns. Find a spot above that will let you shoot down in to the holes after you have rang the door bell. Good huntting. You will have fun and the dogs will have a blast.

Boolit Master

You can set your self up for a prairie dog hunt right at you computer desk.
    Google all the Chamber of Commerce in the counties on the eastern slope in Colorado and ask for a list of names, address and phone numbers of ranchers with a prairie dog problem. This is my MODIS OPERANDI for finding places to shoot.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

does this cousin live here in Colorado. might be able to help you out, will talk to some friends. don't have any on my land, they ate to much lead, but have a friend north of me that might have some. they are all along the interstate in fort morgan but you can't shoot them. funniest thing I ever tried was getting a colony used to eating tootsie rolls then attached the tootsie rolls to fish hooks and when you cast out they run up and eat. if you time it just right you can set the hook and then the fight is on.

No he lives in MO. were I live. Just trying to get things figured out. That is even if we can afford to go.

Boolit Master

neighbor has a small colony he said could go. haven't made it over there to scope it out but how long do you intend to vacation and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    neighbor has a small colony he said could go. haven't made it over there to scope it out but how long do you intend to vacation and shoot.
    It would be a short trip. Hopefully a couple of days to shoot. The rest would be in travel there and back. Would not happen til Summer.

I live in CO and would love me some pasture poodle action too! Stinkin' things are everywhere, every vacant lot in every neighborhood is crawling with them. I need to find a landowner in the country that'll let me pop some.

But I don't know about just coming here and "going 'dog hunting", you can't just head out to the country and commence blasting. You'd better have a place lined up first! Deer/elk hunting is the same way here, we have the animals but they're not easy to get. Mostly private land, and you'd be amazed at how many houses and people there are in most rural areas.

You really have to go "out there" to find wide open spaces with clear shooting lanes. Then comes the challenge of finding the landowner and securing permission. Ain't that easy. I have a leftover tag for a whitetail doe in Unit 104 that I'm probably gonna have to smear with BBQ sauce and eat. Whitetails aren't very common here, and that Unit has NO public access land. Big Unit too.

Boolit Master

I get time off next week so I'll try to scope it out. maybe a dog hunt might come thru.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    One of the things on my Bucket list is to go on a Prairie Dog Hunt. My cousin says he will take me if we can find a place to hunt for free. Has anyone gone to Colorado to hunt hunt Prairie Dog and maybe hunted the public lands. Need all the help we can get. I have already contacted the Colorado lands and they have sent me some maps and information
    Ive got **** load Pdogs,I take ppl out we use a big steel flatbed with a rotating table, we have a blast 50 miles SE Colo Springs, pm me if you want to talk right now there's still a couple of Virgin colonies . Amazing how many Coloradians take for granted so many great shooting opportunities

Thanks rancher1913 and rancher5 I will know more when my cousin knows when he can get out of work. He is only 50 so not retired like me.

My cousin said he is also looking into S.D as well

Boolit Master

Hickory had some great advice and also contact State Game & Fish and get the name and telephone number of the local game warden in the counties you're thinking of shooting in. Wardens usually know the names of local ranchers who have prairie dogs and are friendly to shooters.

South Dakota has been experiencing prairie dog die offs due to diseases and it's been spreading, so maybe you would need to know if its affected your areas?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks rancher1913 and rancher5 I will know more when my cousin knows when he can get out of work. He is only 50 so not retired like me.
    Seriously keep me in mind ,also have an old Farmstead house ppl can stay at ,bring your own food, drinking water, Water is there, for showers ect

Quote Originally Posted by rancher5 View Post
    Seriously keep me in mind ,also have an old Farmstead house ppl can stay at ,bring your own food, drinking water, Water is there, for showers ect
    what would something like this cost? PM me.

Boolit Master

The prairie dogs in South Dakota are done. It used to be that 9 out of 10 prairie dogs in the US were in South Dakota. Wyoming used to be ok, but it is not worth going there either.
    Nebraska, east and south of the sand hills has promise and Colorado has some as well.
    Oklahoma used to have some also, but I haven't been there in 12 or 13 years.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Mold
    what would something like this cost? PM me.
    Depends if I shoot to ,how many people, if you want to stay at farmhouse. It is pretty cool there being right on the edge of Chico Basin 86,000 acres of grass sand ,cactus lands, 200 bucks 24 hour stay. Ranch has 2,200 acres only 50 miles from Colo Springs and 50 miles from Pueblo ,but its off a paved road which is good ,but absolutely in the middle of nowhere, which is cool

Depends if I shoot to ,how many people, if you want to stay at farmhouse. It is pretty cool there being right on the edge of Chico Basin 86,000 acres of grass sand ,cactus lands, 200 bucks 24 hour stay. Ranch has 2,200 acres only 50 miles from Colo Springs and 50 miles from Pueblo ,but its off a paved road which is good ,but absolutely in the middle of nowhere, which is cool
    On small SS income.Thanks for the offer but that is out of my league.

Boolit Mold
    On small SS income.Thanks for the offer but that is out of my league.
    If its just you, I'll do it for nothing ,except help for diesel for Steal bed truck we shoot off of,takes 2 ppl for a successful PD shoot one spotter ,one shooter and switch.

If its just you, I'll do it for nothing ,except help for diesel for Steal bed truck we shoot off of,takes 2 ppl for a successful PD shoot one spotter ,one shooter and switch.
    There are 2 of us. My cousin is the one trying to help me with my bucket list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast