Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 94 red.dot or scope rail

Winchester 94 red.dot or scope rail

I have a Winny top eject .30/30. My eyesight is just to the point that it is getting too hard to see iron sights. Handgun shooting is tough! I'd like to mount a small red dot or maybe a 2x LER scope so I do not want anything side mounted. I am not opposed to a barrel rail ala Marlin-I have a couple of those and am happy with them.

Does anyone make one?

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I suppose you could have a Burris Fast Fire mounted with it's base on the front of the 94 action. Burris could tell you if one of their bases fit.
    In reality a side mounted rear sight fitted with a merit adjustable peep is likely as good as a 2X scope and certainly less "goofy" looking. That was my option.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I have been thinking of finding a mount that fits in the rear dovetail to put a Fastfire on a Savage 340. I have tried real hard yet
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Check this out. This is the direction I'm going and will be buying soon.
    http://www.mod94scoperail.com/
    I will be mounting a red dot reflex type aim point on my trapper with it. Should make a nice scout style carbine for close work and a good all around 'walk around' gun.

Boolit Bub
    I love the Burris Fastfire 3 on my 94AE, it sits far enough back that a top eject might still clear it. The AE was pre drilled, and was easy to mount.

Well fast it ain't pretty but I haven't seen anything else. I was Hoping (wishing?) tbat someone had a short rail to attach in place of the rear sight specifically for a small reflex sight. I guess tbat doesn't exist.

Boolit Master

I was just looking at the XS Scout Rail Mount for the Winnie 94. It uses the existing screw holes/dovetails and requires no machining. They also make a rear aperture for the AE model that is pre-drilled and tapped.

I've mounted several very small red-dots and/or reflex sights on Winchester-type leverguns via D/T'n the top of the bolt (on the centerline) for a single small Weaver-type base with an underside contour that was close to the contour of the bolt top there, for mounting the sights. (The sight travels with the bolt)

One of 6-7 reflex sights on the market:

One of several micro red-dot sights on the market:

That was 20-odd years ago, before Turnbull started making an L-shaped base for the Burris Fastfire II, that utilizes the two factory-prep holes usually for mounting a side-mounted receiver peep sight.

This is a micro reflex sight, F/S on E-Bay @ $20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Hol...-/400771777050

Last edited by pietro; 11-16-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Burris used to make a "scout" mount specifically for the M94 Carbine. It does require a D&T'd hole (6x48) in the front band (I D&T'd through and into the barrel to make it more solid) but is held solidly by a large screw in a "nut" in the rear sight slot. It is very, very solid and properly puts a scout scope low where it is supposed to be for quick eye alignment. Might try to find one of with minimal machining a standard Burris, Leupold or Redfield base could easily be modified.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 153479Attachment 153480

www.xssights.com has long made/sold their LeverScout mount for top-eject Winchester 94's, which use the old rear open sight barrel dovetail to secure the fwd end of the rail, and two 6-48 holes, D/T'd in the top of the front receiver ring, inline with the bore, to secure the rear end of the rail.

The XS app states that the Win 94 have a rear sight dovetail approx. 4" from the front edge of the receiver.

Boolit Master
    I have a few 'scout rifles' and most certainly would recommend trying a setup like that if interested. It's not for everyone but some folks (including me) really like them.

I have a 'scout rifle' thread over at RFC with lots of pics; something there might spark your interest.
    Let's see your scoped Scout Rifles - w/ pics

Edit: You might want to keep in mind that many modern handgun scopes (including Leupolds) have their optimum eye relief just a little too far away for a scout rifle IMO. The old Leupold handgun scopes or newer 'scout' scopes are great though.

I hope this helps,

Boolit Grand Master

A few of my current "scout" rifles. (Wire wrapped around the M96 and M91 is attached to strain gauge for pressure measurement with an Oehler M43)

Larry Gibson

Attachment 153493

Boolit Master

I originally put a cheap pistol scope on my Rossi 92 for load development. Then I found a Leupold scout scope on this board for a reasonable price and bought it. Now the carbine with scout scope is my favorite at 6.75 lbs and just enough weight up front to help steady it. I had a friend D&T my octagon Rossi and put the pistol scope on it for load development. I shoot pistol cart silhouette with the octagon and the tang sight. BTW using the scopes I've been able to develop a sub 3moa 10 shot load for both rifles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3680.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Don't know if they still make them, but my 94 AE Trapper has "Iron Sighters" on it. They allow you to use the iron sights (go figure ) along with the scope. Mine's a 4x.

Although, truthfully, I'm considering taking them off and putting on a set of peeps like a Buffalo Classic has.

I'm not versed enough in 94's to know if a top eject can use Iron Sighters or not, that's why I joined this board.

Thanks for listenin'.

RM

To each his own, I guess. To me, all of those options are like putting chrome mags and a hydraulic suspension on a horse drawn wagon.

Boolit Grand Master

Tell us that when your eyes go south and you can't see the front sight on the M94 carbine well enough any more ven with a rear aperture sight. When that happens to you then you also might gussy up the buckboard......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    +1 Larry

Boolit Grand Master

+2 Larry!!!!!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

+3 with Larry. They didn't nickname the red dots "the old man's friend" for nothing! Scout scopes would qualify, too.

Boolit Master

When that happens to you then you also might gussy up the buckboard......
    Fine choice of words and exactly why the scopes are on my guns.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast