MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Emmert Velocity Window

Boolit Grand Master

Emmert Velocity Window

Can someone give me an approximate max velocity using the std emmerts? I mixed up a batch last night. Thx

BTW: 1lb Beeswax at Michaels was $18 + tax. I got 3lbs from RandyRat for the same price. Just say no to box stores
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, John. I read that when researching what lube to make. One post indicates 1,400fps and another bp and pistol but none really what the upper end might be

but none really what the upper end might be
    ... And you have not posted what the maximum fps of the calibers you shoot or plan to shoot for a starting point
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure it would make a difference on the lube performance, would it? Velocity is velocity.

Boolit Master
    I've seen claims of 1500fps with Emmerts but I don't know if anyone would call that the high end. I'm surprised no one has weighed in with their favorite/max load.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm not sure it would make a difference on the lube performance, would it? Velocity is velocity.
    I think that all the variables of the load and the firearm make the most difference. Naturally, lube is just one of them. Al least that is how it has worked out for me.

Once, while on the phone to LBT in the late '80's I was advised to add a small amount of corn meal to the top of the powder charge and increase the powder charge in small increments. That hint changed a leading, inaccurate 1900 fps hunting load into an accurate 1930fps load and then was able to work up to a 2300fps hunting load using the same lube (but not Emmert's).
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I've seen claims of 1500fps with Emmerts but I don't know if anyone would call that the high end. I'm surprised no one has weighed in with their favorite/max load.
    High end is high end. The max velocity the lube was working well at no matter what it was. With the pistol loads I'm assuming 1,400fps and below but it was not specified. This is just curiosity as I'm using it for black powder.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I should have been more clear on that. What I meant was high end for that lube. It may be a moot point, though. As you approach the theoretical max for Emmerts/Darr/etc, you may be entering Gas Check Country, which sounds to me like a game-changer.

This is just curiosity as I'm using it for black powder.
    OK, let's end the curiosity. Emmerts like other black powder lube is akin to SPG. SPG can be used for BP and smokeless reloads. For smokeless, the lube functions with rounds in the 20,000 to 25,000 fps with plain base bullets.
    To determine Emmerts maximum velocity functioning capacity - you load some high end velocity reloads for yourself and determine the results. A good benchmark would be a 220 Swift @ approximately 3600 fps with a plain base bullets. Then post up your results to let us know how you made out because no one has provided you with a specific velocity and also believe that educated reloaders haven't experimented to determine the fail velocity of Emmerts
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    OK, let's end the curiosity. Emmerts like other black powder lube is akin to SPG. SPG can be used for BP and smokeless reloads. For smokeless, the lube functions with rounds in the 20,000 to 25,000 fps with plain base bullets.
    To determine Emmerts maximum velocity functioning capacity - you load some high end velocity reloads for yourself and determine the results. A good benchmark would be a 220 Swift @ approximately 3600 fps with a plain base bullets. Then post up your results to let us know how you made out because no one has provided you with a specific velocity and also believe that educated reloaders haven't experimented to determine the fail velocity of Emmerts
    That's how it's done!

Boolit Master

In other words, Nobody knows for certain, each gun is different and the results will very.

I've only used the original and my modified version with black powder with max loads, it hurt my shoulder but no leading. I'm guessing most lower to mid pressure pistol loads and some rifle loads if everything else is perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Well la-de-friggen-da. It was a simple question that I figured someone has already been there and done that. If you don't want to answer then fine. I can test the darn stuff but have not seen the need to. Thanks for the "education" on how to test a lube. I never would have figured out that on my own

Well la-de-friggen-da. It was a simple question that I figured someone has already been there and done that.
    Well, la-de-friggen-da too. You were wrong!
    Emmerts is an original gunpowder lube and 1300 to 1350 BPCR would be the high range for a BPCR reload. If it works, they stay with it. If it doesn't - off to a different lube instead of futzing around wasting reload & chronograph time to determine when it fails ... normally with a smokeless caliber reload.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Your right. I was wrong to ask a simple question on this forum. I will know better next time.

Its stuff like this and guys like you, john boy, that cause people to go elsewhere

Its stuff like this and guys like you, john boy, that cause people to go elsewhere
    And to those that don't even try to answer questions that pop into their head without doing any homework - I say fine, go somewhere else like a simple Internet search

Why? Not doing any research on their own, instead asking folks to do it for them ... is nothing but pure laziness on their part! If the shoe fits jonp - wear it
    Emmert Lube links with many other forums discussing the product... https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=emmerts+lube&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Every forum has that guy. The one that chimes on as an expert on every thread. The guy that never misses the opportunty to demonstrate his superior knowledge by talking down to everyone. The guy that is the self appointed arbiter of what threads are valid and which are not, what are good questions and which are a waste of time.

Now that you have cemented the title of Castboolits that guy far better than i could ever point out, your blocked.

Now, does anyone else have something to add to JSnovers useful observation?
    Last edited by jonp; 11-16-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I believe asking if someone knows the answer to a lube question is what this site was for. To me, that is doing homework. If I ask you to find out if a particular load has problems and report back to me so I don't have to do it... then that's laziness! The only reason I got on this site was to learn more about cast bullets. I've been casting since 1955 off and on and after finding this site I've come to the conclusion I don't know much about casting boolits but I'm learning! Thanks to all of you that help each other in this process. Have used Emmert lube for about 30 years but never have pushed it over around 1500 fps in BP & 6 guns. This was the kind of question I might have asked.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like the answer is right about Gas Check velocity. Thanks for those that had useful insights.

I think someone needs to go read "DILBERT" from last Thurs, Fri, and Saturday....
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter