WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: grizzly bear, why is it?

Banned

Deer are the same, diet is important. Nobody will eat a fish duck either. I have taken doe in PA and they were delicious, next season get one in the same place, same size and they were terrible. So far, here our deer are eating corn most of the season and only a little toughness will be found.
    I once killed a big, old buck in Ohio that stunk. I cooled him quick and never touched hide to meat. The meat was rank and 2 hours in a pressure cooker still needed a chainsaw to cut. More trophy bucks are tossed for that reason. You might be required to take the meat but once home they get garbaged. I have the cook book for covering wild flavors, it does not work.
    The black bear I have had was sweet, better then beef or deer. Elk and moose has been super.
    I can see fish eating bears being bad since it all goes into the fat but bear fat has been prized for a long time. Maybe spring bear.
    I killed deer that ran out of food and had to eat hemlock that were still good. Something else in the woods of PA caused bad meat.
    I have to say I have had more bad deer meat then any animal even when cared for. I hate the wild taste and do not understand how some can eat mutton or goats. No wonder they are terrorists.
    Experience has made me a doe or button buck hunter. Why work for hours and hours for meat you can't stick past your nose?
    We are the same, eat a bunch of garlic and nobody will come near you. Would you feed pigs garlic?
    Bears are like pigs, eat anything and everything. Yet pork is always good.

Boolit Master
    A grad student brought some bear meat brats and summer sausage. Both were really excellent - esp. the brats. That is my only experience with bear meat, but it sure was excellent.

I'm not that hungry just yet, Damn prime rib sure is hard to beat!!
    Charlie

Banned

Long ago I shot carp with bows and once we killed 1000# to leave on the bank for animals. I never could cook them. It was true to cook on a board and toss the fish, eat the board. Then a black wanted a carp so we got him a 30# carp. He came to work with a slab. it was the best tasting fish I ever had. ribs were like deer ribs. He had an old woman cook it but she would not tell him how.
    You can make stuff good but i can't

Boolit Master
    Carp have a VERY strong tasting blood line down their side that has to be removed before cooking. If you get it all out, they're great fried or grilled, or in soups, but if you miss any of it, you definitely know when the flavor hits you.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Pork is NOT always good. I eat a lot of feral hog and a boar with mating on his mind is not worth the bullet to kill him. My nephew in Alaska, physician and avid hunter, advises that no brown/grizzly bear there is safe to eat because of trichinosis parasites and tastes terrible because of their diet. He will only hunt spring black bear and they are delicious.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Deer are the same, diet is important. Nobody will eat a fish duck either. I have taken doe in PA and they were delicious, next season get one in the same place, same size and they were terrible. So far, here our deer are eating corn most of the season and only a little toughness will be found.
    I once killed a big, old buck in Ohio that stunk. I cooled him quick and never touched hide to meat. The meat was rank and 2 hours in a pressure cooker still needed a chainsaw to cut. More trophy bucks are tossed for that reason. You might be required to take the meat but once home they get garbaged. I have the cook book for covering wild flavors, it does not work.
    The black bear I have had was sweet, better then beef or deer. Elk and moose has been super.
    I can see fish eating bears being bad since it all goes into the fat but bear fat has been prized for a long time. Maybe spring bear.
    I killed deer that ran out of food and had to eat hemlock that were still good. Something else in the woods of PA caused bad meat.
    I have to say I have had more bad deer meat then any animal even when cared for. I hate the wild taste and do not understand how some can eat mutton or goats. No wonder they are terrorists.
    Experience has made me a doe or button buck hunter. Why work for hours and hours for meat you can't stick past your nose?
    We are the same, eat a bunch of garlic and nobody will come near you. Would you feed pigs garlic?
    Bears are like pigs, eat anything and everything. Yet pork is always good.
    On the show the OP is referring to they ate a Merganser and fried it in the fat. It was funny to watch. They ate the smelt the duck had in its mouth and said they were far better and tasted less like fish. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Long ago I shot carp with bows and once we killed 1000# to leave on the bank for animals. I never could cook them. It was true to cook on a board and toss the fish, eat the board. Then a black wanted a carp so we got him a 30# carp. He came to work with a slab. it was the best tasting fish I ever had. ribs were like deer ribs. He had an old woman cook it but she would not tell him how.
    You can make stuff good but i can't
    Carp are an invasive species in the US, I wish more guys would pull thousands of pounds out a year and for fish bait or field fertilizer. Years ago my grandfather and his brothers would catch a mess of them and then take them into the city to a Rabbi, they had to be alive for him though.

ASIAN carp are invasive. There are lots of carp species that are native.

Brine your meat before cooking, it should rest either before freezing or after. And butchers do not cut the fat off of beef, or pork, the fat is a protective layer while the meat ages. Growing up we had always cooked our game in a acidic sauce for hours. Season's will make a difference in flavor, as well as a male to a female. I am not a fan of bear, I prefer deer, or small game.

I cook free range roosters, they are for the most part wild. If not prepared properly they are horrible, cooked in a spicy marinara sauce they are to die for. When I cook a rooster it spends at least eight hours in a pot. On game meat intense heat actually causes the meat to contract, making it tougher. If using a pressure cooker once it perks cut back until it is barely hissing, and cook for longer than store meat, much longer. I only use the pressure cooker for cooking the surface of game meat. Then it goes into the oven, or a slow cooker for hours.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Which ones would those be. I can name not a one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Suckers are native. All carp in North America are invasive.

Boolit Master
    yup .

Boolit Master
    Some meat is just the luck of the draw. I've had Chinese carp that was wonderful. I've bought beef that was terrible.... Some deer are bad tasting but you can make all deer taste bad if you don't know what you are doing. Some friends claim bear is wonderful but at the time they were affected by Shakespeare's thoughts ..." Hunger is the best sauce...."

I stand corrected! All carp species have indeed been introduced to the U.S. so while none are native not all are considered invasive, I.e. causing the destruction or supplanting native species.

Thanks for the education!

As a whole the Carp in US waters don't do anything any good.

Boolit Grand Master

Common carp are one if the primary reasons walleye lakes have to be restocked. Common carp feed on the eggs. Fish that nest do better against carp but carp eat most of the walleye eggs.

They are like the feral hogs of the water.

"I do not understand how some can eat mutton or goats. No wonder they called terrorists." 44 Man

We raise and eat goats and they are very good in the smoker with seasoning. A cross between deer and beef.

As for pigs eating everything and tasting fine, market pigs eat grain only. Wild pigs eat everything and each other, but you can only eat certain wild pigs. Some of them are too nasty to eat.
    No way would I eat a grizzly.

Boolit Buddy

Too spicy for me!
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master
    Goats are superb meat, by any reasonable measure. And brits seem to have survived for centuries on mutton, so I think the "terrorist" **** was pretty uncalled for.

Cabrito is about as good as it gets.