RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osage Orange Wood. Anyone have some laying around?

Osage Orange Wood. Anyone have some laying around?

Osage Orange Wood. Anyone have some laying around for a set of Knife Handles? Or even more than that?

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

May be able to help out with some, but won't find out till thanksgiving week. I have some right now but its in the process of becoming a selfbow. What size for the knife handles?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Woodcraft normally sells it.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

Got hundreds of horse apple trees, Osage Orange. PM me with what you needs....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

We have more bois d' arc than you could ever want. What can I do you for. Are you looking for green wood to dry out or really aged wood that is dark and hard like iron?

I can send you whatever you want. The sap is still up on the green stuff right now. How about I send you some cured and you can start with that? Do you want the heart that will show the orange stripe down the center or are you looking for the more yellow sap wood?

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Woodcraft normally sells it.

banger

I have an FYI on WoodCraft outlets. There is one local that I have been to a few times and each time the parking lot is pretty darn empty. As in maybe 2 or 3 cars in the lot. And I found out why pretty darn quick as they are very offy and rude as if they have better things to do then talk with a customer.

Yesterday since Banger brought it up I went to there web site and found a bundle of 2x2x10 with Padauk, Zebrawood, Osage Orange, African Mahogany On Sale for $17.99. As the plan was to just run in and purchase the bundle and leave. But I was informed that the WoodCraft outlets are independently owned and they do not honor WoodCraft sales so the price would be $39.99. They even informed me that I would still have to pay tax and shipping on the sale item lol. And yes as normal there was only 2 other customers in there and as the norm they were rude. So I will probably not go back into that store again. I will ask the good people here and or do mail order if time is allowed.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Got hundreds of horse apple trees, Osage Orange. PM me with what you needs....Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    We have more bois d' arc than you could ever want. What can I do you for. Are you looking for green wood to dry out or really aged wood that is dark and hard like iron?

I can send you whatever you want. The sap is still up on the green stuff right now. How about I send you some cured and you can start with that? Do you want the heart that will show the orange stripe down the center or are you looking for the more yellow sap wood?
    A huge Thank You to both of you for the offer and to anyone else but first let me say that I do not wish to receive wood that you may need and or to make you short on wood?

As for type I was looking for a nice yellow color to be used on knife handles at this time. I may feel the need to go nuts at a later date and try my hand at a self made bow. So I have no idea what part of a tree this wood should come from.

As for time frame if it is not a good idea to use as they say Green Wood then that is fine as a month or so is no big deal to wait.

Thank You again one and all. As the Great Normal of this place is the Good People as they say come out of the wood work.

Boolit Master
    I have a whole "forest" of Hedge trees 60ft out the back porch door. You want it so fresh its still alive or I have well aged stuff thats been cut & outside for some time. PM me if you'd like
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I love this place ...........
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

Are you interested in so thing like this?

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post

Are you interested in so thing like this?

I have no idea lol. As said I have never done this kind of thing before except with Oak. But I am sending you an e mail as of now.

While we are talking about wood and since I know little to nothing about it should a person cover bare wood with say Wax to keep it from splitting from sitting? Or is there something easier?

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    While we are talking about wood and since I know little to nothing about it should a person cover bare wood with say Wax to keep it from splitting from sitting? Or is there something easier?
    I buried the pieces I had in the garden for about 8 months. Made a tomahawk handle from the thickest piece, never a crack or split. Forget who told me that info.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Another hard but pretty wood is honey locust also called yellow locust. Just as hard as hedgeapple/osage orange. You ever need some pm me and I'll send some. We have some osage around here but not on our farm, neighbor has some so I can cut some if needed. Again pm me if I can help.
    From TN
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Takes a bit longer than a month to air dry properly and yes the ends should be sealed,I'm burning a bunch for firewood, it's a lil creosote-y but burns good and hot, also it tends to split/splinter ,not the best per se for high shock applications,depending upon fastening I'd suggest a wee oversize hole if peening rivets/pins,while pretty and yellow it tends to turn brown with age ( just so you know )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

BK7sum again Thank You for the wood. But I may have done something wrong as after spending hours cutting and shaping the wood scales epoxied to the blade when I went back after putting in the brass pins the little cracks were no longer little cracks lol. So I started over again and found a local fancy woods place and purchased some Osage Orange as I really wished to see what it would look like finished. I still have a couple of your branches left that I will probably give another shot down the road. I will however add that Osage Orange will sure fill up sand paper in a hurry lol.

I will try some Bocote next and some Purple Heart. I will rephrase that I did use some Purple heart.

Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 12-09-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have never worked with the Osage orange, myself. Looking good now though

Like everything else there is probably a learning curve as these are the first ones I have ever done. . The first one I used Oak then the Osage Orange and of course the Purple Heart. I currently have some Bocote scales epoxied to a small knife waiting to cure.

Try stabilizing the wood scales before you start.

The really nice wood for knife scales is what Carpenters don't want because it has strange grain. Look for Burls and Knots for the interesting knife handles.

Look for some Afzelia Xylay burl if you want to see something pretty. If I get a chance I will post a picture of some scales I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afzelia.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	155286
    Last edited by Boolit_Head; 12-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Try stabilizing the wood scales before you start.

The really nice wood for knife scales is what Carpenters don't want because it has strange grain. Look for Burls and Knots for the interesting knife handles.

Look for some Afzelia Xylay burl if you want to see something pretty. If I get a chance I will post a picture of some scales I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afzelia.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	155286

Very nice. The way the picture came out it looks like they are huge and hanging on a wall for decoration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast