WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Powder Dippers

Boolit Buddy

Lee Powder Dippers

Well till I can buy a new scale it looks like I will be using my Lee powder dipper kit. I loaded some 45-70 rounds last night with Varget using them. I have been researching today and it appears that flake or ball powder is more accurate (weight wise) than stick powder.

What have been your experiences with these dippers and the powders?
    Any powder recommendations for using them would be appreciated. I am loading .308 and 45-70 mainly with cast boolits.

I'm not looking to load hot rounds, just good rounds.

Banned

I find they throw light if used the way Richard Lee recommends. Which is a really good thing if you don't have a scale. For me to get close to published data, I scoop and gently shake off excess. So to sound like a nanny, you really need a scale. Once you get your load dialed in you can put it away until you buy some new powder. I hate using scales, but they are a necessity.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a scale, it just wont allow me to use a powder trickler. It is giving inconsistent readings. I dip a charge and pour it in the pan and then trickle it to where I want. Well, my scale, as I have found it today, has a history of not reading correctly when you trickle powder onto the pan. Sometimes it reads, sometimes it don't. I have found a variation of up to 2 grains from where it is supposed to be(Weighing charge, pour in case, and then re-weigh)

I have an Ohaus 10-10 that I need to send back to have it checked etc. It belonged to my Dad, who bought it in the 60's. Last time I used it, it wouldn't balance.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you need a new scale. If you keep an eye out on Flee bay you or Swapping and selling you can generally find a good RCBS or Lyman 505 scale for cheep and a trickler is a must for stick powder. Even the Lee scale is very good. There is a love hate thing will all powder measures, but get in the neighborhood and trickle the rest. Zero it out the scale when you start. I find you need a level surface when you start helps and keep away from fans and airflow. If you have a weight like a boolit that you know the weight of you can use that to test it out before you get started.

Boolit Master
    Unless the knife edges of your 10-10 are damages your scale should be easy to put back into use.

First make sure you get the dust off of the the beam, beam notches and out of the pivot bearings and off the knife edges.
    then check to see if it will zero
    If it zeros test it with check weights around the charge weights that you use.
    If it does not zero make sure you are using the original pan and bail
    If the pan and bail are the originals you may have to remove the bottom of the pan hanger and add a partial or remove a partial bird shot.
    You can flatten a shot so you can remove part of it or add the piece to the bottom of the pan hanger.
    When you get the scale to zero check it with check weights all along the range. Then every time you set it check it with the check weights.
    Check at least 30 times before you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    I have a scale, it just wont allow me to use a powder trickler. It is giving inconsistent readings. I dip a charge and pour it in the pan and then trickle it to where I want. Well, my scale, as I have found it today, has a history of not reading correctly when you trickle powder onto the pan. Sometimes it reads, sometimes it don't. I have found a variation of up to 2 grains from where it is supposed to be(Weighing charge, pour in case, and then re-weigh)

I have an Ohaus 10-10 that I need to send back to have it checked etc. It belonged to my Dad, who bought it in the 60's. Last time I used it, it wouldn't balance.
    EDG

I have a 5-0-5 that was getting "particular" about accuracy and repeatability..contacted RCBS and they sent me a pair of new agate bearings...works like new again...I've dipped with lee and home made dippers (shell case cut to size with a wire handle) and the into the scale pan and used an RCBS trickler to get the final weight ....it's amazing how close you can get the initial charge using the dipper...at the end of a "session" of loading I'm just about dead on each dip...On the scale....I zero and then test weigh using RCBS check weights that are close to the charge weight I'm using..it works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

If youre using a diffrent surface for the scales chek to insure it is level in both planes ( side to side and front to back) also check flatness. Scales need a level flat surface to sit on to be accurate. A level base can easily be made from 1/4"-1/2" aluminum brass or steel plate, get a piece big enough for the scales to sit on ( if you want to trickle add to length for trickler). in one end 1/4" in from each end drill a #7 hole in each corner on the other end on center line of plate 1/4" in from edge drill another #7 hole and tap these 1/4 X20 thru. 3 allen head cap screws 1 1/2" long and nuts thru these holes allows the plate to be leveled to any surface aiding in zeroing scales. Set this plate up level in both planes by adjusting the 3 screws and try scales on it. Even digitals are suseptable to unlevel surfaces causing issues. Clean the balance scales with canned air and a soft brush, removing dust and other crud. A static ground may help in some conditions. While most digitals have the resolution to wieght fine charges they dont have the sensitivity to easily trickle into, by the time they pick up the change you are past the point you want. SOmetimes starting 3 grns or so light and trickling slowly and steadily not stopping once it starts to read changes helps. A icey straw ( has the little spoon on the end) can be used in place of a trickler. pick up a few grains of powder with the end and drop in pan and wait to see it register.

Pick up a Lee scale until you can get a better one. They work pretty well and there is a good re sale market for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll throw my two cents in as well. Clean and level your scale, then test it by weighing various items. Scale check weights would be ideal, but to test sensitivity they aren't strictly necessary; small bits of wire or pieces of a paperclip will work. For accuracy and piece of mind, scale check weights are cheap insurance.

I don't care for powder tricklers, I find I can use a dipper to fill the scale pan then add powder a few granules at a time to get the correct weight faster than I can by twirling the trickler. I've had three or four tricklers over the years and finally decided to keep the last one around so I won't be tempted to buy another.

I started loading metallic cartridges by using a teaspoon to dip 3031 from a coffee cup into a scale pan for .22-250 coyote loads.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	153231 I wanted to thank everyone. Especially for the advice on cleaning my dad's 10-10 scale. It cleaned the dust off everything and after a little bit, I had it set up and working.
    I checked it and re checked it and it consistently returned to zero. I attached a picturebof tge box to show how old this scale is.

Banned

Problem solved. Good for you, that is a good scale.

Boolit Master
    I still use my Lee dippers, tho not the way intended. They have that handy slide out chart that comes with the Lee disc powder measure. I can look up the CC on the chart, pick a dipper that will get me close, use that to get most of the powder charge, dump it in the scale, trickle the last little bit, saves time. Sometimes it works out where you need a .5 and .7 together to get you there, but still saves time.

Boolit Grand Master

I use dippers sometimes when my powder measure is already "dialed in" to a specific load I'm using. I started with dippers only, using them as Lee instructions. Then I got a scale and a reloading manual. I found I could vary the charge by changing my method. I get a slightly heavier charge if I run the dipper mouth first through the powder, and even higher if I run it through mouth first twice. By varying the method (frontwards, backwards, shaking, striking w/straight edge, etc.) you can get a good range around the initial charge. When I was using a dipper a lot, and was on a roll, I could easily keep .1 grain variation of W231 and Bullseye, and found measuring Unique was closer with a dipper, round to round, than my powder measures...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I use the dippers for working up loads. The dipper is used to drop the load light in a scale and then it is used as a trickler.

Once the loads are worked up and known to be safe and accurate I use an auto dispenser for large quantities.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have found that if you develop a "feel" for dipping the Lee's can be quite accurate. But more often then not I use two to drop a charge. The large one gets you close the small one fine tunes it! I can most times get within .10 of a grain with good consistancy but you have to become a machine!
    Another "help" when using them: if you can throw a consistant charge...but not exactly what you want...Just use that! They are not rocket science but Make sure you weigh each charge
    ( I still prefer a "real" powder measure! ) but the dipps are good when you want to try a few rounds of a different powder but don't want to dump a full resivoir of your standard powder in your "real' measure
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    When I'm working up loads sometimes I'll just dump some powder into a small container and use the dippers to dip powder onto the pan on the scale.

You *can* develop a feel where you can produce very close numbers.

BTW, if you're looking for an electronic scale at a reasonable price, look at the Lyman 1500. My brother bought one, and it was dead perfect on with my check weights. I bought one as well after that, and same deal.

It's fast, consistent, accurate, and a great scale for the price. I also have a Dillon D-Terminator electronic scale which is also great, and the Lyman is just as great--for much less than half the price.
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Boolit Master

I usually throw them away as soon as I open a die set

Boolit Master
    I have thought of getting a set of the Lee powder dippers for loading handgun ctgs.
    It might be fast if you have a dipper that throws the charge you want.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    The dippers are great if you are going to punch paper and plink. They are also good to dip a close charge and trickle the remainder onto your scale. I can't recommend a Lee scale. I'm in the market for one, probably a RCBS 5-0-5 or the Hornady equivalent.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Le Loup Solitaire
    When looking for a used scale you can usually find a few different kinds on E-Bay if you are willing to put up with the bidding nonsense. the scales are usually reasonably priced. Don't overlook the old Reddings as they were once quite popular and had good reputations. RCBS, Lyman and Hornady do well too. A set of weights is a good accessory to have...new they can be a bit spendy, but with a little planning you can make your own. They keep your scale and PM honest. LLS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast