Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: AR rimfire conversion ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

AR rimfire conversion ?

I suppose this could come under the heading of dumb question #7635 but here goes.

I was asked this question recently and had really never given it much thought till then.

I always assumed that the RF bullet just went down the barrel without touching "sides nor top or bottom" because of the somewhat greater diameter bore and in effect one had a 3" barreled 22 RF with a long sight radius. A fellow asked if the bullet actually was stabilized to any degree by the barrel. I said no but now that I have given it some thought I guess I really don't know.

I do know the barrel is incredibly dirty after shooting the conversion but does just wipe right out.

So my question is, does the barrel in any way help stabilize the bullet by actual contact?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    It just barely touches, the big problem is the first inch or so has no rifling and then the bullet slams into the rifling of the barrel.

I bought a Spikes Tactical dedicated 22Lr. upper with a Lothar Walther barrel and the accuracy is great with Federal bulk 550 packs from Walmart when I could get them. You would not want me shooting at you at 200 yards that for sure because it is that accurate. I also have a Ballistic Advantage dedicated 22Lr. upper set up as a A-2 for practice that is deadly accurate as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA180220.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	153152

Boolit Grand Master

The dedicated uppers use the proper .222" barrels. The .223/556 barrels are .224". The standard bore for the .223/556 barrel is .218".

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I guess I need to clarify; I was referring to the carrier assembly conversion for a 223 upper, not the dedicated 22RF upper.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I shot my stag H2 carbine with a cmmg conversion. Accuracy was hit on target out to about 75 yards.....that's as far as I went as it was just not fun to shoot at distance.... does the 5.56 Nato 1/9 twist impart spin on the 22lr bullet.....?
    Doesn't really matter I guess.

Now I ended up with the Tactical Solutions 22lr upper. Tac Lite model. I use it @ 100 yards to break up the Orange chips all over the burm. It's not much fun closer in as the accuracy is kinda boring....
    The tacsol upper has shot everything well except the rem golden ****.
    The adapter or conversion chamber kit was finicky and jammed often.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I guess I need to clarify; I was referring to the carrier assembly conversion for a 223 upper, not the dedicated 22RF upper.
    22 rimfire bullets are .222". In the .224 barrel the bore is .218" so you will still have a total of .004" bullet engagement. You will have .002" for gas blow by. That is why they are dirty and have less than stellar accuracy but the bullet will be fully stabilized for spin.

Boolit Master
    well as they say--your mileage may vary-- I have 3 ars one has the heavy machine gun barrel. it don't shoot well at all the other 2 will shoot very good with either rem of feds. I have not had a feed problem with any but ejection on the MG barrel is spotty.
    Buddy has the full auto lower and the 22s worked in his. I had thought about one but with the tax and NOW cost of ammo. I am glad I didn't waste the money.

Not what you asked but my experience - since I bought a dedicated upper I wont use a conversion again. The accuracy just sucks. Its not worth the hassle