Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Remington's R51

Boolit Master

Remington's R51

I understand that a new, correctly functioning version of Remington's R51 9x19 mm semiautomatic pistol is being made. Having no manual or grip safety, does the design have an automatically engaging hammer blocking safety that allows the hammer to hit firing pin only when trigger is pulled?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Banned
    Based on this article it appears that it does have a firing pin safety: http://www.guns.com/2014/01/03/intro...uve-met-video/

I can't say for certain but in today litigious society my guess would be that Remington would include a firing pin safety.

And a firing pin safety doesn't stop the hammer from striking the firing pin but it does lock the firing pin when the trigger is not depressed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    I understand that a new, correctly functioning version of Remington's R51 9x19 mm semiautomatic pistol is being made. Having no manual or grip safety, does the design have an automatically engaging hammer blocking safety that allows the hammer to hit firing pin only when trigger is pulled?
    The gun does have a grip safety. It's also quite a lemon:

https://youtu.be/AvEAr9TJ51M

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerArms View Post

I've heard of many Ruger No. 1s that were lemons. Also many more that were outstanding. Over time it proved itself.

Some R51s seemed to work great. Remington had a quality control problem.

Some models get off to a rough start. Doesn't make them bad guns. The 03 Springfield had bad heat treating and that joke of a rod bayonet. Also the 03 cartridge got a major tweak and a re-branding after introduction. Took years to sort it all out. Would you go back and strangle that one in the crib?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    I understand that a new, correctly functioning version of Remington's R51 9x19 mm semiautomatic pistol is being made....................
    Yes there were problems and they are trying to correct them. Give them a chance

Boolit Master

I picked up one a few days ago and have fired 100 rounds of cast through it so far. Need to shoot it more and do some sight adjustment. Not as simple as your typical glock or M&P to break down for cleaning but that's okay. Beautiful machine work inside and out. No issues at all.

I'm still kicking the tires on one. It certainly is concealable and feels good in the hand. The Art Deco styling is neat.
    Best,Thomas

I want to like this gun. I have no personal experience other that what I have read about the first ones that were recalled. Remington is coming out with another 9mm that i the the msrp of around 425 in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have one of the first of the new and improved models. It runs fine with factory jacketed, fine with one of my cast reloads, fair with a different cast reload. more info here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...R51-First-test

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They sure seem like neat guns, I hope R-P gets them straightened out. I give props to gunmakers when they make an effort to be different, even when it doesn't go so well for them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have no confidence that anything Remington makes these days is worth taking a chance on. Their golden days are gone.

Banned
    The concept is good. The execution of that concept is the question.

I'm very tempted to get one of the newly re-released editions and see if Remington has sorted it out. If I had to guess, Remington is selling them at or near cost now and the price will increase if the guns sell.

I'm fearful that the pistol will not be on the market long and it may turn out to be one of those great designs that just didn't make it commercially.

There's a lot to like in the design. Smooth, thin, lightweight, good sights, compact. It's not a H&K P7 but it's about the same size and half the weight for 1/3 the price. If the new ones work they could be great pistols.

Give Remington a chance, they may have something good here.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests all Design Nuts should get one.
    Remington Model 51's and the newer R51's are the only Real Live "Delayed Blowbacks" out there.

I have a R51 Gen II. I shot factory ammo (115gr.) and hit low (~5" at 10 yards). I tried heavier factory ammo (125gr.) and still low. I sent it in to be looked at and when I got it back I couldn't tell anything had changed. I'm sending it back again and requesting that it be fired before returning it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA suggests all Design Nuts should get one.
    Remington Model 51's and the newer R51's are the only Real Live "Delayed Blowbacks" out there.
    I still have my CZ52 to fit that category - wouldn't mind a 9mm barrel but whatever...

The R51 I really wanted to buy - almost bought G1 on impulse but didn't (who am I kidding - all my guns are impluse buys)
    Then G2 - I really really wanted it to be good - both to see Remington succeed and because the darn thing is sexy....

But every review I looked at saw no real improvements on the second release - even youtubers that pretty much love everything they shoot didn't like it. I don't want any lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I have no confidence that anything Remington makes these days is worth taking a chance on. Their golden days are gone.
    Same here. Many of the reviews on the Gen2 R51 still have issues with it. Then there are the issues with the new Remington RP9, some really obvious. Not worth the risk unless you get it dirt cheap and are willing to screw with it to get it running.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerArms View Post

Mine certainly is no Lemon. Its no SIG for sure. But in the $400 price range for 9mm Autos.
    I find it on a par quality wise with most other offerings.
    What sets it apart ( IMOP) is the lower barrel axis and the delayed blow back operation.
    Makes the recoil less and easier to keep on target for follow up shots.
    I had commented that you have to try not to hit what your aiming at.

That being said it is a quirky beast. Take down procedure takes practice to master.
    And the trigger is some what weird. Its a little tight out of the box. ( ok may be allot tight)
    But after about 600 rounds mine is smoothing out nicely.

For me its worth the effort. I have guns that are pretty reliable but you have to train hard to be real proficient with it.
    This gun your already proficient with it. All the stuff you have to train to be consistent is already consistent.
    Pulls easy and lines right with the eye and hits what your trying to hit.
    Not a bad trait once you factor in stress.
    Just need to run a bunch of rounds to let the gun catch up.
    Ether way your training with the guns before your ready for EDC.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 03-05-2017 at 06:02 AM.