MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee hand primer

Banned

Got to have one or two. Will get quick mount plates for my Ultramounts for them. Lee has been stepping it up.

Boolit Master
    thats what i want looks good and save my thumbs

Here's a link + more complete description: http://www.titanreloading.com/primin...to-bench-prime

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I like the older Lee with the round trays, if you can find one!
    I have 4 of them. One for small, one for large and 2 "just in case"

Boolit Master
    I'm still mad about the new primer trays that new primers come in . Did it make shipping the primers safer . The new boxes of primers won't fit in my old round top lee . I keep spilling a few, I am outdated or just gitting older. I didn't even know that they make a square one. I really need to catch up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyHillbilly View Post
    I own 4 of them and every time I see one on the cheap I buy it. The old round Lee hand primer is the beans IMHO
    I have 3 of them and do the same one is as new in the box
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

The Lee Ergo by all means. I have owned all the Lee hand primers at one time or another. The Ergo unit requires considerably less force to use than the others. You need to get used to using your fingers rather than your thumb(s) but that is easily learned.
    The arthritis in my thumb joints went away after I switched to the Ergo.

Boolit Master
    Still in the 90's here, with 3 round primer tray models.

The older ones would start to wear out on the connector rod, not seating the primer to the pocket. A call and some new connector rods solved it. Also had one break as mentioned, right thru the s/h area.

You might be bale to glue/attach something like thick rubber pad to the lever, could give you more leverage and not wear the hand out quite as quick. 1/2" thick should do it.

Might try one of the new ones, either /or, maybe both. Gotta start loading more first.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    To overshare a bit, I have a some arthritis in my thumb and I'm concerned a hundred primers through the thumb-actuated $18 Lee would aggravate it.
    I have similar problems with thumb joint where thumb meets rest of hand (second joint?).

I went to RCBS bench mounted one (found one for almost free at garage sale) Even then had to add extension to lever to cut down effort to hand.

While not the best it does give me good feel and more importantly I can still move fingers and thumb when done.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I'm still mad about the new primer trays that new primers come in . Did it make shipping the primers safer . The new boxes of primers won't fit in my old round top lee . I keep spilling a few, I am outdated or just gitting older. I didn't even know that they make a square one. I really need to catch up.
    Agreed. What I did was get a large plastic funnel from Hugh Cube and cut it off where it starts to neck down. Basically have a pyramid with top cut off. Now I can set the smaller opening on tray and pour primers onto the tray; top is large enough to handle size of those new trays and funnel is large enough to keep primers from flying everywhere
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I have two of the older Lee hand primers with the round trays and I love 'em. I can do 100 cases ,no sweat and I am 81. Unfortunately one of the covers gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and now I have switch covers when I go from small to large primers. I had an RCBS priming tool but my hand just couldn't take the punishment. I sold it for $20. I wish I could find another round plastic cover for my Lee.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned

"I wish I could find another round plastic cover for my Lee."

Here

http://leeprecision.com/cover-for-tray.html

Boolit Master
    Thanks jmort.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I've had all of the hand primers except the original with screw in shell holders, my favorite is the ergo. I also have the auto prime2 and after looking at the new bench mounted one I have no doubt I'll get one of those, that thing looks awesome.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I have to say that I started with the RCBS standard hand primer (not the APS or universal version) and have no issue with it. [...] It's not that bad to buy an extra shell holder for your most used and my Lee shell holders work fine.
    I also started with that, but had to buy RCBS shell holders (not a huge expense, at least) to go with it because the Lee shell holders won't fit. The underside of the through-hole is a bit smaller on the Lee shell holders, to the point where it won't sit low enough on the plastic insert to go into the priming tool.

I used it for a while...worked OK most of the time, though there was one incident where it managed to shove a primer into a .30-06 case sideways. Fixing that without blowing anything up was fun.

I looked more carefully through a box of reloading equipment I had bought and found a couple of Lee priming tools: a hand-operated tool and a ram prime. The hand-operated tool (don't recall which one offhand) is one of the ones that needs its own special shellholders, but the ram prime mounts on the press (mine is a Lee Challenger, with no other provision for priming) and works with standard shellholders. I've used it for the past few loads without issue, just using the primer tray from the RCBS priming tool to hold the primers needed for the current batch. The ram prime's missing the large-primer pin, but it seems to work OK if you swap the primer cups on the small-primer pin. Maybe I'll get around to ordering a replacement at some point, though I'm also considering adding a turret press and a safety primer feed in the not-too-distant future.

Boolit Bub
    Agree, I am sad that when I wear the one out I am using now that there are no more the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I like the older Lee with the round trays, if you can find one!

Boolit Bub
    Hurts my hand after awhile