Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Scrounging

Scrounging

I've given up on finding 2400, one of my fav cast powders. But I bought an old metal can of Winchester 540 from an estate sale. I've read it's basically Hodgdon HS-6.

its burn rate is in the neighborhood of 2400.

Does anyone one have any load data for 30-30/165grain boolits or thereabouts? I can't find anything.

Otherwise, I'm going to start with 13 grains and work up an accuracy load-not looking for speed.

I believe that you'll find that HS6 is much closer to Unique than 2400. I'd start at 10.0 gr.

Frank

Moderator Emeritus

some time back, I also bought a couple of old, full can's of Win 540, back then, I thought I had found a load for 357Mag, but looking into things just now, I can't locate that data. Maybe it was on castpics?

Just now, I did find some Data in Speer Manual #5 for 22 rem Jet...along side 2400 and AL-8.
    Also in my search through paper manuals just now, I read somewhere it was an ideal powder for 28 ga shotshells, due to it's high density.

SO, I'm wondering of it'd be a poor choice for small charges in large case capacity ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks guys. HS-6 seems to be right smack between Unique and 2400 on the Winchester chart. Of course, burn-rate charts are just rough approximations. I will start with 10grains and work up.

And, JonB, i hadn't considered position sensitivity.
    Last edited by blixen; 11-10-2015 at 01:54 PM.

HS-6®

HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance. In shotshell HS-6 yields excellent heavy field loadings in 10 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga., and even the efficient and effective 28 ga. HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant. HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

Off the Hodgden website, now find a load. You may need a filler. LG might know something.

May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    snip...HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540..

While I was searching through the internet for info, I did find some people posting that HS-6 was equivalent to 540, but I took that with a grain of salt(as I do with all other internet rabble), which is why I didn't post that earlier.

I didn't think Hodgden would state that out right and never looked at their website
    ANYWAY, Wow, I really like HS-6 for midrange 44 Mag. I'm gonna have to work up a load with my two old cans old Win 540. Thanks.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001